How Much Insulin Do You Take?

diabeticdancer

I'm curious how much insulin you take on a daily basis? I look at my total daily amount at the end of each day and it's usually between 9-17 units combining basal and bolus. This depends on how much I eat and how much activity I have done.

I'm curious to know what amount I will be increasing it to when my honeymoon period ends. I am currently doing 0.1 basal(reduced 50% on active days) and 1:15 carb with meals(maybe 1:20 if I am doing a lot of cardio straight after meal).

I've had a great day with my readings today, and I even managed to get away with ratings banana and a biscuit with no bolus with no significant rise :)

Anyway, thanks in advance for responding. I'm just being nosey and want to know what I will be dealing with in future.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When working gardening can be 22-25..... When not working about 28-34.
T1 30 years...

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Crikey - I'm on humalogmix25 and have 50 units in the morning and 22 units in the evening and only just managing to keep my BGs in single figures'(most of the time)

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My basal changes daily, but today my total insulin dose has been 25 units.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
24u basal. Last few days I have been low carbing and taking another 11u or so bolus. Normally it would be about another 20u for bolus. T1 18 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
63-72 units a day.
3x5-8 units of novorapid and
2x24 units of lantus.

Age 32. T1 27 years. My weight is good and im fairly slim. However i am 6ft 3 and since i broke my foot (which is verrrry slow to heal) im not active.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
24u lantus. 2:10 NovoRapid for breakfast (4-10u) then 1:10 for everything else. Average of 5 per meal but could be up to 12 if I get a Chinese :) I would guess my average daily total is around 38

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey - I'm on humalogmix25 and have 50 units in the morning and 22 units in the evening and only just managing to keep my BGs in single figures'(most of the time).

I'm similar: 36 in the morning and 44 in the evening. I'm blaming insulin resistance. I should be on a daily total of 55 units going by the formula from the Diabetes Teaching Center at the University of California,

Using the formula:
TOTAL DAILY INSULIN DOSE
= 0.55 x 70 Kg (for example) = 38.5 units of insulin/day

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm similar: 36 in the morning and 44 in the evening. I'm blaming insulin resistance. I should be on a daily total of 55 units going by the formula from the Diabetes Teaching Center at the University of California,

Using the formula:
TOTAL DAILY INSULIN DOSE
= 0.55 x 70 Kg (for example) = 38.5 units of insulin/day
You cannot go by those formulas. They are just an initial guesstimate and then they always change by trial and error based on BG meter results. It's the BG results that matter, not any formula.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TDD is 34-38 units depending on food, 18 of this is basal insulin.

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I have to ask you where your authority comes from and why it's superior to the University of California's diabetes teaching hospital.

My BG experience tells me that the amount of insulin I'm on doesn't really keep my BG in target and that insulin resistance makes any increase is dosage a futile effort. In fact, I believe it's counter productive since the insulin is pants at getting glucose into muscle but very good at shoving the unused glucose into fat cells - and increasing insulin just exacerbates it.

You cannot go by those formulas. They are just an initial guesstimate and then they always change by trial and error based on BG meter results. It's the BG results that matter, not any formula.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When active, I use 20-25 units (12u basal, sometimes less if running or going for long walks and the rest bolus) When less active then I use about 25-30 (14u basal)

@Belzedar , If you look at your link they keep saying that these formulas aren't set in stone

Bear in mind, this may be too much insulin if you are newly diagnosed or still making a lot of insulin on your own. And it may be too little if you are very resistant to the action of insulin. Talk to your provider about the best insulin dose for you as this is a general formula and may not meet your individual needs.

and Please keep in mind, the estimated insulin regimen is an initial “best guess” and the dose may need to be modified to keep your blood sugar on target

Reactions: 6 people

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
40 units lantus ( until tomorrow ) Tdd is between 70 - 80 units a day

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 rapid for breakfast 3-5 rapid for lunch 4-7 for dinner (thats on average). obviously that changes alot when i have a indian or chinese or pizza,but thats not very often. i do walk the dog a couple of miles every day, and play golf a couple of times a week. also 20 lantus at night
type 1 for 6 weeks, and not going to let this beat me:pompous:

fansy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal is 20 and Bolus from 10-20. My doctor tells me that 0,8-1,0 per kg is normal. I'm 65 kg, so I use less than that. I used more insulin before I got my pump.

Reactions: 4 people