tattoos &type 1 diabetes

knightsbliss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiders, cheese, crowded places
So here's the thing I am thinking of getting a tattoo sybolising my diabetes .. never had one before is there anything I need to know watch out for & has anyone had one with diabetes ? Ive always wanted one and had my diabetes 13 years im 23.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello I would say the most important thing would be to go to a reputable tattooist and to ask questions first, their qualifications, is there any special procedures for someone with diabetes? aftercare etc. I have read similar threads on here regarding tattoo's, so I'm sure someone will be along to help out.
Best wishes

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi! I had a half sleeve done since having type 1 diabetes for three years. I did 2 hours a session and I did have swelling which I just put ice packs on and raised my arm until it returned to normal, I drank lots of water before, during and after to stay hydrated. I advised my tattooist of my condition and he stopped regularly to check I felt ok. I took sugar with me incase I went low and ate well before hand just incase of a low. Everything was fine, I kept my tatt clean and dry and it healed beautifully. Hope that helps! I also had a back tattoo and a forearm tattoo since. Any questions please ask.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as your control is good diabetes should not cause any problems (wound healing and such); just make sure to have your meter and hypo treatment handy as people say that it can cause a drop in BG.

As for the symbol, keep in mind that there is quite a bit confusion about which symbol to use. Make sure you know what the symbol you pick means what you think it does.
The official symbol of diabetes is a blue circle... which I've never seen anywhere and can't imagine anyone would recognize.

Reactions: 2 people

knightsbliss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any info you thinks helpfull with getting a tattoo i really want one but not sure whats gd to know,...... as for symbol im unsure i see tattos with 2snakes going up a pole or summin but on bracelets ive only seen a single snake up a pole in a red hexagonal shape so its confussing

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as your control is good diabetes should not cause any problems (wound healing and such)
I agree, but I would emphasise it the other way round: unless your control is very good, allow for a longer healing time and an increased infection risk, relative to what your tattooist is used to.

chatterton

Hi there im a 30 year old male who's been type1 for 4 years,and I've just recently had my type1 tattoo done and as long as you've had a check up and a letter from your G.P you'll be fine.If the place you go to have it done and they don't ask for this I would be cautious as a friend of mine has gone through a very hard time this year
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399846020.665608.jpg

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The correct symbol is the Rod of Asclepius (the Greek god of medicine) with just one snake and a staff; the "two snakes" one is the caduceus is the symbol of Hermes (messenger of gods - thus the wings) which has become dominant in the US because one guy happened to pick it as the symbol of the US Army Medical Corps in 1902 despite Hermes being more associated with merchants and commerce.there is a whole wiki page on this issue

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
As long as your control is good diabetes should not cause any problems (wound healing and such); just make sure to have your meter and hypo treatment handy as people say that it can cause a drop in BG.

As for the symbol, keep in mind that there is quite a bit confusion about which symbol to use. Make sure you know what the symbol you pick means what you think it does.
The official symbol of diabetes is a blue circle... which I've never seen anywhere and can't imagine anyone would recognize.
Good point by Alex there. The "official" diabetes symbol is a blue circle. However, I would bet there are a lot of people who wouldn't recognise it. I only found out recently yet I've worked for emergency services for many years. If I had found a casualty with this tattoo, I would have ignored it !

Last edited by a moderator:

knightsbliss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How long did your tattoos take ? ,i like them very much:),so which sybol would you suggest ? ,so i get it right best i can,wantb something nice ,info is very usefull will make sure i ask around before i get a tattoo

knightsbliss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any design of tattoos peole would suggest becausei am very intetested in idea:)

knightsbliss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well maybe not havin a sos symbol n replace with this &put TYPE 1 AT TOP & at bottom DIABETIC

Attachments

• diabetic_tattoo_by_angeldragon5-d4p50dp.jpg
    diabetic_tattoo_by_angeldragon5-d4p50dp.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,822

haustin93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm 20 and I've had type 1 for 11 years. I've got 5 tattoos, one really big one on my calf and 4 smaller ones. I've never had a problem with any of my tattoos, I was just asked to sign a disclaimer form and that was it. They have all healed absolutely fine and my blood sugars are not the best controlled either. I'm not saying there won't be any problems but I guess if you heal from other wounds pretty well then you should be fine with a tattoo :)

twistedclown

I'm 31 and have had diabetes for 17 years. I've had coming close to 20 hours worth of tattooing. The only advise is that you know your own body, make sure you eat before going, take something sugary with you and always bear in mind the increased healing time. Make sure your tattooist is aware as well, people are known to faint whilst getting inked (normally only their first one due to being worked up about it) but at least if your tattooist knows then they may be able to make the distinction. Other than that, have fun, people very rarely stop at one.

Reactions: 4 people

Donsta82

Hi. Ive been diabetic type 1 for 17 years (10 on a pump) and have 19 tattoos. As long as u use a good tattooist, and they will ask for confirmation from your doc, good control etc you should be fine. Make sure u take your bm machine and some sugar just incase. Im planning no 20 in a few weeks. Im having IDDM written on my wrist.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one on my upper right arm. I had no issues tattoo artist had no issue doing it. Just don't do it on your feet or legs.

I used bepanthan baby cream for a couple of weeks after healed without issue

knightsbliss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well thats a relief :) , yeah i asked a tattooist and they want a confirmation letter, not sure about what i want with tattoo,probs that dragon intwinded one but the sword totally black n a green dragon maybe

VoodooDoll

Hi, when I designed my tattoo made it so that it was very obvious that I have diabetes and insulin dependant. So instead of going for a symbol like the Greek god, I went for this. The most important thing I think when getting a medical tattoo is that anyone can understand it if you become unwell

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-13-01-39-43_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-13-01-39-43_1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 531