How many test strips do you use a month?

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
Evening all,

Just thought I'd ask the question, as I seem to be running low on test strips and especially since I've read some nightmare stories on here regarding GPs and such like!

As I've mentioned before I am on a pump now and have been asked to do lots of fasting and testing to get my mu basal rate right, however this is eating into my supply of strips.

So wonder world of Diabetes UK how many do you use on average a month?

RoDnEyBoY.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I get 3 boxes a month

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get 4 boxes per month (50 test strips in each), but since going on my insulin pump I now get 6 boxes instead.
My surgery was very accommodating about the increase when I asked.
Hope this helps.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can easily go through 6 pots per month. I do at least 10 tests per day.

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
I was diagnosed 12 days ago and I've used about 180....I was afraid at first but now I actually kind of enjoy it lol.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
I get 200 every month, if your having trouble getting test strips from your gp then you need to remind them of this letter that was sent out last year to all gp surgery's:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

Wow thank you for posting that I'll take it with me when I see the GP (back up) as I think I need double the amount the give me on prescription.
£25 a pot in the chemist, not cheap are they.

Thank you.

RoDnEyBoY.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
not cheap are they.

No although the NHS won't pay that for the strips. I honestly think if you use your strips wisely and put them to good use then the cost is justified, I'm forever grateful for the NHS that we have and long may it last.

Reactions: 6 people

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
No although the NHS won't pay that for the strips. I honestly think if you use your strips wisely and put them to good use then the cost is justified, I'm forever grateful for the NHS that we have and long may it last.

Well I know a lot of bad press is on-going concerning the NHS but it has been great to me.

Never take it for granted.

Cheers

RoDnEyBoY.

Reactions: 9 people

sammyc123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small portions of food and Lord of the rings .
Have to say although it is early days (only gone for one repeat) but the gp surgery were most helpful...they actually offered to increase the quantity on my prescriptions to save me from having to order as often in the future. I don't pay a single penny for anything - can't fault the NHS!!

iHs

Rodneyboy

Using a pump, you should be bg testing fairly frquently and therefore should need approx 250-3 00 strips per month. Some days, you will need to test loads and some days, a bit less. If thrre is a problem with the prescribing due to cost, make a compromise by changing to a bg meter that is reliable but also has cheaper teststrips. You could also possibly change to a cheaper insulin, like animal.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On average I do 8-10 tests per day as I'm also on a pump. If questioned by my gp I would remind them that this is completely justified (i.e. having to test before & after eating, before driving, basal testing etc etc etc). If enough test strips aren't prescribed then the cost of the pump wouldn't be justified as we wouldn't be using it properly. I do a bulk order with my gp and get 15 boxes of 50 strips every 3 months so I'm not continuously going back to get more. I'm expecting them to start asking questions again at some point. You only need a gp on a bad day...

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I get 500 strips prescribed every 3 months , roughly equates to 5 a day. Bare minimum in my opinion.

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get through about 200 in a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. At the moment I'm probably using more than I have done recently but like yourself I'm now on a pump and need to test more to get it set up right for me.