If in doubt about getting a pump....

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So if I am reading this right, all above-target values disappeared during "pump week", with only one, borderline, below-target result? Impressive indeed!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done.. Keep it up... Some fine tuning to be done, some tweaking.. But some much better results....well done..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Very true Spiker.

Basically if you can prove to Consultants that you are commited and tried everything to impeove your bloods from using pens then a pump is a good option...

So long as you do not believe it is an easy option.. Because it isn't. Its commmitment above and beyond pens...

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

Just a quick question I am using pens at the moment is a pump a better option for a poorly controlled diabetic

I agree with what's been said already.
If you are counting carbs correctly, educated adjustments of insulin aren't helping, then yes, a pump will help.

In my experience levels were all over the place, lantus was dropping me through the night and then the dawn phenomenon was rising me up during the day. I had random peaks and drops which didn't seem to relate to anything I was doing/eating. Testing 4-6 times a day, writing down everything I ate and any exercise I took. As you can see above I was all over the place. Thankfully the pump is really helping me and I'd def recommend asking your diabetes team more about them.

sf352

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi, back with my consultant in a few weeks and I've to have a decision on moving to a pump from injections. I'm a fairly new t1 diagnosed on 2009 at 29 years old. I've been doing some research and there are many pro's and a few con's. One of my biggest reservations is how practical it is being wired up 24/7, I'm a full time firefighter and i'm not sure how it would stand up to the rigours of the job? Wearing harnesses SCBA sets etc? How long can it be disconnected for? Overall my control has been quite good over the last few years, highest A1c was 5.9 in the last 4 years. Do have the odd high but usually due to poor discipline when it comes to food :) Am lucky enough to feel hypos early and have never had an uncontrolled one. Just a bit unsure I suppose it seems I've only got the hang of the injections and the prospect of having to start all over again is a tad daunting!

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sf352 you might suit the omnipod that is tubeless. It's a cartridge that attaches to you buy you gave a handheld device that tells the cartridge how much insulin to release. I have an animas vibe so I'm wired up but love it.

gk29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that I just read about omnipod looks like a great idea as my control is not to good time to talk to my diabetes team and see if it could work for me

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@sf352 those are legit concerns given the nature of your job. Pens are less obtrusive and less likely to interfere with complicated, rapid physical work. I think however if you get something like a Spibelt to secure the pump, you would be OK. I've been clipping my pump at the small of my back and that keeps it out of harm's way.

Definitely consider the pros and cons of patch pumps and pumps with remotes as they may be particularly suited to your work needs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know of a prison officer with a pump.. I know it slightly (!!??) different occupation. Both jobs could be seen as difficult for a pump, but she manages fine.

I don't know too much about firefighting.. The only thing I would know about to be considered is... Heat.. Is there any chance of the actual pump when it attached under clothing become hot..(i take it not, as you should have full protective wear).. And water... Any chance of it coming in to contact with excessive water. Accuchek wired pump is not guaranteed to be waterproof.

The other consideration, is I was thoroghly and have showers every other day when I change cannula.. If you shower every day then a pump like an omnipod would be a consideration to make because of disconnecting pumps each shower time or bath time.... Only tskes seconds when used to it.. But just another consideration..

H

Hooked

It's not available in Ireland unfortunately. Medtronic animas and accu check is all that's offered. Pump only need special approval for cgms.

I do wonder would they consider it given the nature of your job, or if it's an outright no.
If you are happy with the level of control you have now and no issues/problems with your diabetes, I'd be inclined to just keep doing what you are doing. On the other hand, ask at clinic about the issues involved in your line of work, they may know of examples of other people in similar jobs using the pump, or be able to answer any questions you have. You could always try out a pump, see if it works well for you. If not, you can always go back to MDI again - nothing ventured nothing gained!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Animas Vibe pump really is waterproof, if that's a factor. You can swim in it, it's rated for 24 hrs at 12m depth, though you must check and maintain the seals. It is a good point about high temperature though when the insulin is outside your body, it could degrade, and this could give you DKA if you didn't detect it (rising blood sugar) and take action.

Disconnecting and reconnecting a pump for a shower is two seconds work so I wouldn't worry about that. As long as your mates aren't going to nick the pump while it's disconnected!

sf352

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Cheers guys. A lot of good points there. We're fairly well protected heat wise. If it's hot enough to compromise the gear I won't be hanging around! It'd be more the injection site from the humidity (think fully clothed in a sauna) weather it woukd come unstuck and have to be replaced alot. Also id be worried about highs and dka which I've never had trouble with. I've always carried a mobile phone and only once was it damaged it was when I fell on it so I'd say the pump would be fairly robust it was the tubing and physical connection to the body I'd be concerned about.

Disconnecting for shower etc seems to be more straightforward than I'd thought? Although there are unique dangers for leaving unattended property in a fire station, I could see the insulin replaced with epinephrine alright :)

Cheers for the insight, don't really know any diabetics to discuss stuff with so it's good to get 1st hand experiences.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your phone story made me think about insurance. Unless it's different in Ireland, the user is usually not covered for loss or damage to the pump, so they encourage us to insure. As a firefighter would you be able to get insurance? If you have to replace the pump they are around £2000 I think.