Caffeine

Johnboy012

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does caffeine, in coffee or tea( can be from any ) have any effect on diabetics in any why?

emmarw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee raises my blood sugar quite significantly. If I have one for breakfast it can give me a 4mml spike after. Same if I have a mid morning one yet tea seems to be ok. Such a shame but coffee is a treat now !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To much caffeine is not that good for most people, The only problem I experienced was having to wake up more than normal to go to the toilet at night.
Now I do not drink coffee etc; about 4 hours before bed time.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does caffeine, in coffee or tea( can be from any ) have any effect on diabetics in any why?
Caffeine can trigger or simulate an adrenalin response in some people, that can release glycogen from the liver into the blood as blood glucose. It seems to be a personal thing that happens for some but not others. Use your meter and do a test with black coffee or diet coke..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Caffeine can trigger or simulate an adrenalin response in some people, that can release glycogen from the liver into the blood as blood glucose. It seems to be a personal thing that happens for some but not others. Use your meter and do a test with black coffee or diet coke..

I'm prone to drinking a fair bit of coffee at work..
Could this possibly explain a heavier crash with a hypo..? In the sense that I feel the onset of a hypo but then on actioning a treatment, it shifts gear as if I'd left it too long.. I normally take a calm steady approach to hypo treatment with no adversity....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.. As I suspected... I try to keep the hypo if it happens in the work place discreet..
The sooner I sort it the easier the recovery... Unusually I don't drink coffee when gigging. (Affects the vocals apparently.)
Catching the low if it happens & keeping going is easy...

I like your posts by the way...! :cool:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh thanks. :)

Yes I like to deal with hypos at work with no fuss if I can. On rare occasions I have had to head to the canteen and just sit one out for half an hour. But usually it's better, and safer, if I stay around people. My colleagues know I'm diabetic but I prefer not to play that card unless the situation is serious.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thanks. :)

Yes I like to deal with hypos at work with no fuss if I can. On rare occasions I have had to head to the canteen and just sit one out for half an hour. But usually it's better, and safer, if I stay around people. My colleagues know I'm diabetic but I prefer not to play that card unless the situation is serious.

Most the places I've worked they don't have a clue..
Though I work or have worked with some great people I've blagged it by a "dodgy gut" excuse if hit hard.. Or returning with a tray of coffee & biscuits on a lighter one which give me time to sort while the kettle boils... They normally only moan that I forgot the sugar... Lol

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello.

Sorry i dont have too much to add.
(T1) I love a strong coffee in the morning from my espresso machine - half a mug of warm milk with a double espresso thrown in.
I wake up and my blood sugar is usually around 5-6. An hour later, post coffee fix, it shoots through the roof to 14 and above!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

Sorry i dont have too much to add.
(T1) I love a strong coffee in the morning from my espresso machine - half a mug of warm milk with a double espresso thrown in.
I wake up and my blood sugar is usually around 5-6. An hour later, post coffee fix, it shoots through the roof to 14 and above!

The half mug of milk in it hay not help.. I can drink that much to sort a hypo... With a plain biscuit. (Old 70's hypo cure.)
I go for a mean "dash" of milk in mine..
I have to make sure that what I order in coffee bars are not high in milk... Other wise it's just like a caffeinated bed time drink.. ;)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to agree with Jaylee, half a mug of milk is a significant amount of carbs. I usually go for just a splash of milk or a foam topper (cappuccino) and stay away from lattes etc. But 8 mmol/L is a big rise, it suggests you have the caffeine reaction going on as well, or maybe even a dairy allergy?