Omnipod assistance please

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really?? It is only on 1.2 an hour. Had to increase it from 1 an hour to that.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really?? It is only on 1.2 an hour. Had to increase it from 1 an hour to that.
Well 1.2/hr may be too much for one person and too little for another person. If your basal rate is only 5% higher than you need, there will be a tendency to eat more and put on weight.

Did you increase it from 1.0/hr to 1.2/hr because of high blood sugars, and did you do a fasting day (or half day) to make sure it wasn't a low carb ratio or other food and bolus related issue, rather than a basal issue? It's possible to get caught in a loop of eating more -> higher blood sugars -> increase basal insulin -> eat even more...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kt78

Hi sammi

My DSN told me it is quite common for new pump users to put on a little weight at first but this is usually because it's so much easier to bolus for extra snacks and things than give yourself another injection!

Just thought I'd mention it, of course this might not be true for you. I, for one, found I was eating 'more flexibly' (!) for a while.

Reactions: 2 people

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Spiker no i didn't do a fasting day or that, its just been altered again as when i have my lunch at 12.30 and test my blood 2 hours later its good and with in range but then just an hour later it just drops into hypo so ive adjusted it to give myself a little less carb:insulin...see how i go :/
Thats good to know Kt78, i've just joined a local gym to help with it. Its weird because sometimes i can have my lunch at 12.30 and not eat anything all day until the next day! I know i shouldn't be doing this and i don't do it on purpose, sometimes i'm doing extra work at home or busy with me son i put off eating thinking ill get something in abit and i just go past it. o_O

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have always been told by my consultants.. If low anywhere between 2-3 hours after a bolus then changethe bolus.
I follow these rules and rarely basal test...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App