Magaluf stag coming up .....

david6026

Hello all going to magaluf for a week in 3 weeks for stag party with 10 other fellas and it will be 1st time away from being diabetic... Any advice would be great about airport and beer and the sun ??? Cheers in advance :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Most important thing is that you manage your diabetes surely ? Risk of a hypo in a strange foreign place, surround by those who may be in full control of their faculties ? Not a cheery thought is it.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

nicky1327

You just need a repeat prescription slip for the airport, I went to Amsterdam last year with the gf and friends who all knew my condition, and knew what to do if I turned for the worst, I had a card from our hotel with their address so if I was drunk or high I could just give it to the taxi driver and I would get to a safe place, apart from that I let loose as sometimes you need to, carried the essentials with me and left an emergency pack at the hotel and enjoyed my holiday :)

david6026

Cheers I must remember about the card for hotel address but iv also found a web site that let's u convert from English to Spanish so iv made up a letter with name age type one and my types of insulin and a few contact numbers where I'm staying and who with so il just keep that in my pocket :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Careful with the heat - in higher temperatures you will probably need to drop your basal dosage.

Also try and drink as much water as possible (in between beers !) will keep you hydrated and well.

I would make sure your mates know what to do also - i've heard of lads going on stag do's who have had type 1 and been acting drunk/confused whilst under the influence but are really having a hypo, it's easy to confuse the two, so make sure you've got a mate who's switched on and knows you well to see that you're ok.

Other than that have a great time and think carefully before getting the tattoo done !!! :wacky:

Reactions: 3 people

baz2107

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got similar, I am off to Portugal with 4 mates as we all turn 30 this year. I've told all 4 what to watch out for and I'm going to ensure I test twice as much as normal and snack regularly. am also hoping to have a new Abbots reader by then, so will leave my current one on my pillow so I ensure I test before bed, and keep snacks by bed too.

david6026

Yeh think when I get there I will go a do some carb shopping for my room lol plenty of lucozade and stuff just to have handy and all my friends that is going know what the story is about my Diabeties so hopefully they will be able to sort me in an emergency but hopefully there won't be one lol and yeh that's good idea about leaving checker on the pillow think il do the same as I'm bring 3 with me 2 we ones and my proper aviva expert :)

Scardoc

You just need a repeat prescription slip for the airport, I went to Amsterdam last year with the gf and friends who all knew my condition, and knew what to do if I turned for the worst, I had a card from our hotel with their address so if I was drunk or high I could just give it to the taxi driver and I would get to a safe place, apart from that I let loose as sometimes you need to, carried the essentials with me and left an emergency pack at the hotel and enjoyed my holiday :)

A cracking advert for responsibility when living with a chronic illness. Or without for that matter.

Only sensible advice is to test regularly as the heat may result in you needing less insulin and to enjoy a beer or two. We all know the risks we face with diabetes so if you want to get drunk enough to need a card to get back to your hotel or high then knock yourself out. The last drunk T1 I saw at xmas ended up in a diabetic coma. Great holiday that would make.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi! I went to Zante a couple of years ago with the girls and I was fine, I was pretty much drunk for the whole week lol but I made sure my friends new what to do incase I had a hypo and I'd check more in the night as alcohol can cause night time hypos. Just have fun, but keep an eye in the sugars!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The heat will lower your blood sugar so just keep a careful eye on it. Other than that it's the usual of just being careful but remembering to enjoy yourself. Don't let diabetes completely rule your life ☺️

Scardoc

Hi! I went to Zante a couple of years ago with the girls and I was fine, I was pretty much drunk for the whole week lol but I made sure my friends new what to do incase I had a hypo and I'd check more in the night as alcohol can cause night time hypos. Just have fun, but keep an eye in the sugars!

I may have to head over to the diabetic soapbox.
I think they should start displaying warnings and pictures of amputees on needles, testing strips, meters and pens of what the sum of alcohol + diabetes is! The long term complications are one thing but the immediate danger of not being in control of yourself is quite another.
Don’t let diabetes completely rule your life but at the same time appreciate that this is the one life you’ve got and no, having diabetes, may not be a barrel of laughs but it won’t stop you living a full and healthy life. IF you look after yourself.

david6026

Thanks all for your input into this convo I will take it all on board and hopefully have a cracking time away with plenty of sun an beers and did I mention beers lol

andy1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on 6 lads holidays since I was diabetic, usually find things fine but I would recommend the following depending in what you do:

1. I would say drop your night time dose slightly, as you will no doubt be moving around a lot more and due to the heat you sweat more so sugars in/out.

2. Be careful with what you drink, of course I am sure you know all about sugars in certain drinks....but one time I went to malia they were giving normal coke out as diet.... Sugars told me, went mad and they apologised but still.

3. Make sure your friends are aware and take some lucky add tablets with you in your pockets at night just in case you go low.

4. Have lots of fun :)

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

Some of the medical id companies sell cards in various languages to state that you are diabetic etc. Might be worth getting one of those for your wallet