Metformin

Claire2332

I am type 1 and use insulin novo rapid and levamer I have just been put on metformin, I am about 5 days in to and can honestly say my bmi is pretty good but my guts are taking the brunt of it! Has anyone else been put on this to help with weight loss like me and also how long did the stinky Ahole last LOL :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first thing to check is that you have been given the Slow Release (SR) version. I understand that this acts less like a laxative than the standard version. I never really knew why they gave it to me. It didn't help with losing weight and it never lowered my BG.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, do ask for the SR version which should make a big difference. If Met has been added due to excess weight, you may want to think about reducing your carb intake if you haven't already. This should help (you may need to reduce your insulin bit to avoid hypos so watch the blood sugar). If you can get the weight down, Metformin becomes less relevant but my DN suggested I stay on it although slim as she says it helps protect the kidneys etc. I think that's marginal but as I've been on SR for 10 years and no problems at all I've stayed on it.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah...i'm type 1 and take insulin and metformin , 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening, and yes it does take farting to a whole new level.

fansy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on Metformin also and I don´t have any problem with my stomach. I always take it when I'm having a meal. I was given it to counteract the weight gain I had when I started to take Amitriptilyne for my neuropathy.