SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has used Novamix 30 and how they get on with it? I've been using it now for about 2 years and just recently my BG levels are through the roof and causing me lots of issues with facial skin infections. I'm seeing my DSN on Thursday again but would like to hear from other Type 2 Novamix users.

Thanks in advance.

iHs

For twice daily insulins, its important to eat carb but in a lttle and often way and to bg test frequently to work out the amounts of carb that need to be eaten to keep on the straight and narrow. Just how often do you test and if you do, why arent you adjusting the carb a bit more?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I test 5-6 times a day. It was working great before but now I'm on constant 15 - 18 BG levels. Have lowered my insulin dosage and increased carbs but can't get out of the high BG loop (and I'm not going to eat a lot of carbs on a 15 level.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I he's novomix 30 but about to change to basal/bolus as jo am hoping to get better control of my diabetes. If you increase your carbs and reduce your insulin you will get higher bs readings. How much insulin do you take?

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I tried that but my DSN said to lower my dose. She also suggested coming off insulin altogether which I don't want to do. I just don't understand why it was working fine before and now it's not.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I he's novomix 30 but about to change to basal/bolus as jo am hoping to get better control of my diabetes. If you increase your carbs and reduce your insulin you will get higher bs readings. How much insulin do you take?

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

I'm on 7u in the morning and 8u in the evening.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Steve, I use Nov 30. Your not on a high dose so I would be tempted to increase it and decrease your carbs. Not sure why your DSN suggested it the other way as that wouldn't work. Did she suggest anything else if they were to take you off the Nov 30?

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi Steve, I use Nov 30. Your not on a high dose so I would be tempted to increase it and decrease your carbs. Not sure why your DSN suggested it the other way as that wouldn't work. Did she suggest anything else if they were to take you off the Nov 30?

Hi Karen, the issue (according to my DSN), is because of the 70% slow release side of Novamix and the low amount of carbs I take which she thinks is causing liver dumps. I'm seeing her tomorrow - just as well as I had my first BG of 23 today (since being diagnosed in 2007). I'm not sure what's going on but whatever it is, it's really getting to me now especially as my face is a right mess due to infections (and I'm off work which I don't like). I would prefer to try another type of insulin - anything to lower my BG!!!

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That seems very strange advice, but I am sure she knows what she is doing. Me personally would be increasing the insulin and adding in a tablet to help reduce the blood sugars in the short term. Good luck at your appointment and let us know what she does.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
That seems very strange advice, but I am sure she knows what she is doing. Me personally would be increasing the insulin and adding in a tablet to help reduce the blood sugars in the short term. Good luck at your appointment and let us know what she does.

Thank you Karen :)

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Hi Steve,
I'm type 2 and use Novomix30 - no problems identified...

I was taking 32 units a day (16 breakfast; 16 evening) and recently in a fit of bravado (which persists) cut back to about 8 units. My nurse's reaction was "Why?", "32 a day isn't really very much.".

You're only taking 15 units - apparently fairly light...

Just as a matter of interest, do you rotate your injection sites? During the hectic period last autumn I fell into the bad habit of injecting into my tummy (it sticks out, so it's a prime target). Two things happened simultaneously. The doc gave me antibiotics for a bladder infection and I started moving sites around - arms mainly. I think it was the former which brought my BGs back to normal, but who knows?

Like the members of the forum above, I would have thought it should be increase insulin; lower carbs.

J.

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi Steve,
I'm type 2 and use Novomix30 - no problems identified...

I was taking 32 units a day (16 breakfast; 16 evening) and recently in a fit of bravado (which persists) cut back to about 8 units. My nurse's reaction was "Why?", "32 a day isn't really very much.".

You're only taking 15 units - apparently fairly light...

Just as a matter of interest, do you rotate your injection sites? During the hectic period last autumn I fell into the bad habit of injecting into my tummy (it sticks out, so it's a prime target). Two things happened simultaneously. The doc gave me antibiotics for a bladder infection and I started moving sites around - arms mainly. I think it was the former which brought my BGs back to normal, but who knows?

Like the members of the forum above, I would have thought it should be increase insulin; lower carbs.

J.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

As mentioned earlier, my DSN seems to think that the issue is with the 70% slow-release side of this insulin. So if you're taking high doses of it, it won't just impact on short-relaease but also have a longer impact which could cause hypos - in my case, I appear to have them every night (I'm waking now on 12 - 15s). So she suggested I lower the insulin dosage and eat more carbs so that the insulin has something to work on. So I tried this but it's just not doing anything. And if I'm on a high BG reading, I tend to want minimum carb intake. And I have tried taking more which does produce better results that what I'm experiencing now but still not within the normal scope. I know that when I see her later, she'll probably insinuate that this is my fault (but not in a nasty way) for not doing what she's asked, but I know that this insulin is not working anymore.

Interesting to note about the injection sites - I did try my arms as well but it didn't cause a change in my readings.

We shall see what happens!!!