Type 1 rules we accidentally break :/

fansy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I'm guilty of everything...I never changed the needle on the pen, ( pump user now) meter myself with the same needle 50 times, never keep the insulin I use in the fridge and still sometimes overcompansate when I have hypo, that starts a very tiring rollercoaster ride, hate it:sour: .And I cheat sometimes and have eat something forbidding like a cake or candy :facepalm:
The wait 10 minute rule after treating a hypo before testing again.

Who the heck thought that was a good idea? As if I am going to sit calmly twiddling my thumbs, watching the clock go round in the hope my blood sugar of 1.9 might just go up instead of down. It might be my last 10 minutes! Eat or drink some panic glucose to pass the time, that's my rule.
I stumble to the kitchen end eat everything I see when I'm 2 or lower- 10 minutes, that´s just plain stupid. If I'm over 2, than maybe...

Reactions: 2 people

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too did the through the clothes thing. I think some of my t-shirts still have the old blood stains...
Not changing pen needle or lancet. I did get better at this and maybe change them a couple of times a week - it used to be either at the end of the cartridge ot as my gp says, when it bounces. I'll have to get into the habit of changing my lancet when I change canula now I'm on a pump. We'll see

One that I've never done and I'm now finding hard moving over to apps is always write down BG results and insulin doses. What my first DSN at diagnosis drummed into me. She was like a lifesaver to someone flailing in the post diagnosis physical and emotional surf.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Not buying my hypo disgusting oat biscuits cos I know there is Ben and Jerries in the freezer and eating half a tub instead of two/ three mouthfuls. Then wonder how I've gone from 2.4 to15!

Don't do that anymore though. Oat biscuits taste like coasters so don't over eat after lucozade.

Which brand of Oat biscuit do you buy?!?!?!!!!!!! :spitoutdummy: (You could always have them with some cheese or ham, etc.)

Personally, I've never tried eating a coaster; what do they taste like and are they low carb? :facepalm:

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Insulin can be kept out of the fridge for up to 4 weeks before it is spoiled (providing it's not exposed to extreme temps). I always keep the one I'm using at room temp and all the others in the fridge.

Ahhhh, gone are the days when all your supplies (I'm talking animal insulins of U40 strength... "Uh, you wot?") had to be kept in the fridge all of the time - and your syringe was kept in a plastic container full of meths... injecting with cold insulin really stung :inpain:

And one time (hypo-ish before breakfast) I made the mistake of injecting some meths into my leg before I realised what I was doing :***:

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drink Lucozade when im not low, if blood is 6, and I feel low, i'll have lucozade.

Don't often change lancet, or even spin the drum round (Multiclix thingy)

Not really having a clue with what im doing i.e carb counting etc but carrying on regardless and hoping im ok.

Think that's all from me

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
I am with you on all of that, not so fond memories of my insulin and syringe being kept in full view of all guests in the fridge chiller cabinet of a Spanish hotel restaurant while we were there on holiday.Nippy injections from big thick needles too....what a change now, thank goodness.:cool:

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
Had a little giggle to ymself because I agreed, before I saw everyone disagreeing!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Drink Lucozade when im not low, if blood is 6, and I feel low, i'll have lucozade.

Don't often change lancet, or even spin the drum round (Multiclix thingy)

Not really having a clue with what im doing i.e carb counting etc but carrying on regardless and hoping im ok.

Think that's all from me

Call your DSN /Diabetes Clinic and ask to be put on a carb-counting course - even if you've been on one before, you'll find that data changes and sometimes a change of 'trainer' or going with a fresh perspective helps you absorb better.

Put it this way, diabetes is a bit like cancer: it can eat away at you subtly and quietly without you realising it until, all of a sudden you get an eye bleed, or you suddenly get loss of sensation in the fingers, or you need to go to the toilet every two hours, etc. The difference between cancer and diabetes though is that the survival rate of diabetes is much better - providing you control it.

The more you know and understand about living with what you have, the greater your chances of living a full and healthy (indeed healthier) life.

Good luck - and get on that course (they are statutorily obliged to offer you education about living and managing your diabetes)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Dave3389

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, so there's already been a great thread started about rules for type 1's. Which has been great to read an helpful. However, having been a type 1 an now with training I see a lot of diabetics that I know break some of the small rules. Obviously nothing big like omitting insulin on purpose, but small things.

I think it might be nice an refreshing to see that we are all humans an we make mistakes sometimes. Let me know if this seems inappropriate In any way.

I'll start.

1. I change my lancet in my testing pen about once every 4 months, never every time.

2. I never keep my insulin in the fridge :/.

3. I leave getting my repeat prescription until I've only 1 strip left oops.

Hey was reading through a few of the posts new hear :) the top three things you've put sound so much like me lol

Reactions: 3 people

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great thread :)

I'm guilty of a few things
- don't change lancelet often enough, only do it once a day
- leave needle on Novorapid, only change once per day
- I get a few false hypos, don't check BG then find out at next meal I'm above normal range

Reactions: 3 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is bolus rage?

I never store insulin in the fridge.
I always leave the needle in the pen, and put a new needle in before I will use it.
I don't usually record my readings.
Only change the lancet every 3 days or so.
Out of contact with my official care team as an outpatient from hospital.
Drink too much alcohol.
I'm always running down my supplies.
Overtreat hypos.
Don't test before I drive.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is bolus rage?

Rage bolusing..?

For me it means jacking a couple of units of "act rapid" with just the sole intention to slap down an unusual V high blood sugar level count...
Sometimes this can backfire an hour or two later & swing it too low.. :banghead: Even if I have been sat around doing ****** all most the afternoon. ;)

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rage bolusing..?

For me it means jacking a couple of units of "act rapid" with just the sole intention to slap down an unusual V high blood sugar level count...
Sometimes this can backfire an hour or two later & swing it too low.. :banghead: Even if I have been sat around doing ****** all most the afternoon. ;)

Ah! Yeah I do rage bolusing too. Haha

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rage bolusing..?

Ah get you. I'm usually relatively conservative with my correction doses. I've really suffered when I've taken a corrective dose mid morning, then more rapid acting with lunch + levemir, and then boom mid afternoon I'm screwed.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Totally did that rage bolus thing before getting my pump, so cool that it does the sums for me now. I do have the bad habit of taking a correction for high a sugar reading the morning after alcohol though which means that I need to turn my pump down and eat a few bits and pieces a wee while (couple of hours) later as my sugar drops, the hangover day following alcohol that is usually quite welcome though and I feel so ill with a high sugar I have no patience to wait it out.

Sent from my KFSOWI using DCUK Forum mobile app

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have remembered one. Walking along the sandy beach last year, barefoot and then just kept walking and walking and I ended up on the concrete ground still barefooted, whoops.:oops: