Top worst things about having type 1 diabetes?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone :)

Some of you know that I have a Youtube channel where I sing and do video diaries.. I was thinking about doing a video called top 10 worst things about having diabetes?
Writing it now, it sounds a bit of a gloomy video! But it sounded like a good idea at the time :p

Do you think that would be a good video? Would you watch it if you saw it?

Also.. does anyone have any good suggestions for things they like least about having diabetes? I would love to hear what they are :)

Thanks!

This is my Youtube channel by the way, in case you wanted to have a look :) http://www.youtube.com/Jelaca100

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yeah, I'd take a look. I saw your last video and you have a great voice :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone :)

Some of you know that I have a Youtube channel where I sing and do video diaries.. I was thinking about doing a video called top 10 worst things about having diabetes?
Writing it now, it sounds a bit of a gloomy video! But it sounded like a good idea at the time :p

Do you think that would be a good video? Would you watch it if you saw it?

Also.. does anyone have any good suggestions for things they like least about having diabetes? I would love to hear what they are :)

Thanks!

This is my Youtube channel by the way, in case you wanted to have a look :) http://www.youtube.com/Jelaca100

Hi Jelaca,

I can't really find ten things I least like now I think about it...
Analysing It, I would say its not the D but me.. I think we can all find certain things in common like attitudes towards it by others & such.
But it's how we deal with this that defines us...

I had a listen to your music. Especially some of the live stuff.. I have to admit to not knowing any of the covers but I can hear the influences on your own compositions....
You have a great voice..!

I'm a singer myself. (hard rock/metal) & yep, write & had stuff published...

Question for you. Do you find sugar levels affect performance a little..??
I find epesially when recording keep em between 5.5 & 7.5 mark.. Lol, though in fairness what I do is more "brute force" in style...

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jelaca,

I can't really find ten things I least like now I think about it...
Analysing It, I would say its not the D but me.. I think we can all find certain things in common like attitudes towards it by others & such.
But it's how we deal with this that defines us...

I had a listen to your music. Especially some of the live stuff.. I have to admit to not knowing any of the covers but I can hear the influences on your own compositions....
You have a great voice..!

I'm a singer myself. (hard rock/metal) & yep, write & had stuff published...

Question for you. Do you find sugar levels affect performance a little..??
I find epesially when recording keep em between 5.5 & 7.5 mark.. Lol, though in fairness what I do is more "brute force" in style...

Haha I would say that when i have performed live, I find blood sugar levels a problem really, because it would be awful to have a hypo when you had to perform! So ive kept my levels on the higher side which isn't ideal because then you're all thirsty!

What do you do when you're singing live?

But thank you, I really appreciate what you've said! And you're right about the top ten worst things.. maybe I should do top ten best things :p

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Jelaca,

Love your idea, it's all about raising the profile of it and educating those less educated.

I think it works best if you put a positive spin on it though, people are more drawn to positives than negatives, so the top ten best things sounds great or the top ten weirdest things, or top ten things you didn't know about.. perhaps ?

;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I would say that when i have performed live, I find blood sugar levels a problem really, because it would be awful to have a hypo when you had to perform! So ive kept my levels on the higher side which isn't ideal because then you're all thirsty!

What do you do when you're singing live?

But thank you, I really appreciate what you've said! And you're right about the top ten worst things.. maybe I should do top ten best things :p

Hi,
I have to stress this is what I do.. I certainly wouldn't recommend for everyone...

A few things in my "ritual"...
Avoid coffee. I tend to only have it with breakfast on a gig day..
I tend not to eat for at least 3 maybe 4 hours before a gig. Digesting food restricting the diaphragm breathing wise.. Plus I like the hungry "sing for supper" feeling that drives the gig for me.
I spent 3 years in a Surrey dance college. So I tend to warm up prior.. Though I'm not technically performing dance it does save the aches & pains the following morning... (Mainly the "whiplash".) lol
As I mentioned earlier keep the sugars within healthy perimeters.. & keep a sugary drink stage side (normally near the drum riser.) just in case.
But to be honest on the larger venues I think adrenalin pushes em up slightly anyway.. Because if I do crash, it tends to be on the come down after the gig...?
Drink water but just to replenish sweat lost & wet the throat.. Guzzling water as with food tends to restrict breathing & agility..
Alcohol. Avoid too..

If you have to do a gig when not well..? Say a cough? Cough mixture kind of "dopes" the vocal chords..? It's more noticeable if you have to sing.
I rarely get sore throats, dodgy chests or coughs.. & hardly ever feel the need for painkillers either..

But like I said what I do is more brutal... Here is a sample.!

jackedison

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey Jelaca,

Love your idea, it's all about raising the profile of it and educating those less educated.

I think it works best if you put a positive spin on it though, people are more drawn to positives than negatives, so the top ten best things sounds great or the top ten weirdest things, or top ten things you didn't know about.. perhaps ?

;)

Yes i totally agree with you.Top ten things about diabetes ...i could put up a few points here.
· Choose high-fiber and slow-release carbo foods

· Making use of the glycemic index (GI) that tells you how quickly a food turns into sugar in your system.

· Be smart about sweets. Eat in moderate proportions.
Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your videos and songs are great Jelica and you have a beautiful voice. I think by far the worst thing about type 1 diabetes is just having the condition, nothing comes close.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have to agree with duneplodder and i've only had this for 6 weeks, but its quite daunting to think that there is no break for the rest of your life. what a bummer:(

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My number one is:
Never having a break from it, even on holiday.

Wow I've never thought of it like this before, that really is the worst thing about it!

I dont like how other people don't know how hard life is for diabetic people.. not that I expect them to! I would probably take no notice if I didn't have it myself, but its nice to come on here with people that do understand

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What would be a "bummer" Is if our civilisation crumbled...? You can only live on white meat & water for so long after the prescribed contents of the fridge have run out .. ;) Diabetes is a walk in the park right now compared to the decay when something like world war 3 kicks off...:banghead:

Yep, I have weighed it up.. You never know...! Lol

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes but Jaylee according to my extensive research (I watched World War Z) I reckon we could walk through the zombies as they would not be interested in us.
RESULT!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but Jaylee according to my extensive research (I watched World War Z) I reckon we could walk through the zombies as they would not be interested in us.
RESULT!!!!

Yeah, but think how sweet we would taste. In a world without condiments, we would be delicacies!

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
RESULT!!!!

Yeah, but think how sweet we would taste. In a world without condiments, we would be delicacies!

They would probably want to "pick our brains" on this forum regarding dealing with nighttime "no blood levels" & constantly being accused of "sleep walking"... When asked if they want something to eat? They get snappy & somewhat "bitey"....

Funny enough. I have been following that "In the Flesh" series on BBC3... Where they treat these Partially Deceased Syndrome sufferers (or PDS) & reintroduce back into the community after the "Rising"...
The PDS then attend these "clinics" & providing they stick to the treatment as set out in the "guidelines" of a government initiative can pretty much go about their way...

Lol, sounds a little familiar to me....!

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As I was a very young child when diagnosed I actually know no difference. So nothing bad about it at all.
I don't crave sweets as was never allowed them as a child and neither were my brothers. (Expensive luxury) Insulin for a type 1 is the elixir of life so forget about any preconceived ideas of how hard done by you are. Life is for enjoying do that whilst controlling your condition and life can be lived to the full.
Diabetes never killed anyone, stupidity did and does :)

H

Hooked

As I was a very young child when diagnosed I actually know no difference. So nothing bad about it at all.
I don't crave sweets as was never allowed them as a child and neither were my brothers. (Expensive luxury) Insulin for a type 1 is the elixir of life so forget about any preconceived ideas of how hard done by you are. Life is for enjoying do that whilst controlling your condition and life can be lived to the full.
Diabetes never killed anyone, stupidity did and does :)

Whilst agreeing with the sentiment of your post; Sorry, but diabetes has killed thousands of people.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Whilst agreeing with the sentiment of your post; Sorry, but diabetes has killed thousands of people.
Yes people die we are all born to die, but diabetes complications only kill if you allow yourself to get in that state in the first place ie not educating yourself on how to look after yourself.
In this day and age there is no reason not to educate yourself and question everything you are told. Hence why I said stupidity kills :) It would have been better if I had said stupidity and ignorance.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Except that "diabetes never killed anyone" is a historical claim, and it's hard to see how education could have helped T1 diabetics around 500 BC.

Reactions: 3 people