Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was hoping they would update it at sometime to work with lightning connector as it will only have that from now on iPhones, or maybe it is not as big a seller to re-engineer ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not so much as a big seller as getting the approval from the FDA and agencies like it, they have just launched a new meter and it's not even compatible with the iphone, and even worse is the fact that the desktop software isn't even compatible with widows 7 or 8, and what adds insult to injury is that I tried using a 3rd party software to run it and plugged in the proper lead and it's can't be used with windows 7 either as it hasn't got a digital signature

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
And breathe I am interested in the codes. I also use code free. I don't have any boxes to check. What sellers will give discount for bulk. TIA.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
M
The Codefree. Because it's cheap.

I usually test about 5x a day, so it works out at 69p/day. £22 ish a month.

Worth every penny.
me too! £7 for 50 strips on ebay!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can't find them, I'll copy from for you.

It knocks the prices down to around £6 and £5"for 50, when ordering 250 and 500 respectively.
I think this is the sort of thing you're looking for.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1401202018.008368.jpg

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. So you have to lie down to read it ..... Oops

steve451

I've just obtained the Nexus GlucoRX via the type 2 testing program, which I'm happy with (apart from the lancing device which is so/so for me).

I usually change meters every 12-18 months anyway as technology moves on so quickly, but was sort of forced into buying this one after the SD codefree ( also good ) I was using didn't survive an hours soak with the washing up :-(

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for that code. Just ordered 250 strips much cheaper than I was paying which was great. Not so great was the realisation that this testing lark is part of my life for the long haul.

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I had a crisis last October when I had to fast for a colonoscopy and my sugars went off the scale, I was given a Bayer contour neXT meter which they use because it oversamples the tests for greater accuracy but uses a very small sample of blood, it was helping but made it difficult to follow certain trends with food, I now have a Bayer neXT USB which I love it is easy to read and use and has the same technology, it has the advantage of following trends easily and with the software built in can produce graphs for accurate trending and monitoring. By using it I now have better control than non diabetics and can lead a normal life.

A bonus is having better control gives me more energy, I got the meters free as the new one was in the giveaway from the magazine, I missed out but Bayer thought I should have it anyway. Bayer do take care of their diabetics, call me a cynic but it means they get the repeats on test strips

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, do you have an iPhone 4 or 5? I have a 5s but I'm not sure if ibg star do the attachments for the 5s. I also read that there's some sort of adapter - do you know anything about this?

Many thanks.
Hi, you will need the apple adapter to plug into the iPhone 5s, it's the lightening/30pin adapter. They are roughly £25 from any Apple supplier.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a bit of a palava and not really worth £25?

I've just got a Dario smart bg meter, it works on the iPhone 5/5s amongst other phones as it plugs into the earphone socket. I've only had mine a couple of weeks but really like it. It uses a tiny spot of blood. They've only just been released in the uk. I had mine preordered. I have to pay for my test strips and they cost 17.99 a box of 50 incl. vat. If you go onto their Facebook page they are currently giving a number of the meters away.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first meter I bought when I discovered this forum and the recommendations to test, was an Accu-Chek Nano which cost me peanuts on Amazon - partly for its price and partly for the FastClix finger pricker that comes with it. It's a dinky little meter but I found it a bit difficult to use the buttons on it, and it had some sort of infra-red(?) thingy to use if you wanted to connect up to a computer.

I've currently got a Contour XT which I'm quite happy with, but want/hope to replace it with the new Contour Next meter instead. I still use the FastClix pricker though! Test strips can be expensive but I usually manage to find some reduced price ones on eBay.

The Codefree seems to be the best bet if you are concerned about the price of test strips, as it can get very expensive otherwise if you pay for your own and test before & after each meal. But if you are "gadetly" inclined it's also worth doing a bit of research to see what the different brands have to offer. Diabetes.co.uk do meter reviews here.

Robbity

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MyLife Pura, but only because that's the one my doctors will give me test strips for, I have tried swapping to a different meter but as they will not supply me strips FOC I am still on the Pura, though I do find it to be a good meter compared to my first one given that needed to be coded.

Has anyone got the iphone meter, bgi star is it.?

There's two iphone meters, the iBGStar and the Dario. The iBGStar connects to the charger socket, the Dario connects to the earphone socket. The iBGStar work with the iPhone 4 30pin socket. The Dario will work with any iPhone. The iBGStar can be used as a stand alone meter. The Dario has to be connected to a iPhone, iPod or iPad. Hope this helps.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@KELI
Thx I saw the dario last night, both meters would work out at something like 20-30 pounds per month for test strips in my current usage, will carry on with my Pura and free strips from doctors :) and good old fashioned pen and diary still, ty anyways.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KELI
Thx I saw the dario last night, both meters would work out at something like 20-30 pounds per month for test strips in my current usage, will carry on with my Pura and free strips from doctors :) and good old fashioned pen and diary still, ty anyways.

Glad I could help. I have to pay for my strips and lancets so I figure I might as well have a meter I like and get on with ;).

SteveB66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
well decided against the old lightening connector - not cost effective for me. decided to go for the new iPhone PancriRepApp which actually replaces the work your pancreas does (or in most cases, doesn't) do. It's only £2.99 - bargain i would say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

lynda kasim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's about time I get a BG meter Which BG meter do you have and why? I realise I am probably stuck buying all the supplies myself based on current GP's attitude.Do some use less blood? Are some more accurate than others?Does cost make a difference?

devoncatt
HBa1c 1/13 10.0
HBaic 3/13 8.5
Low carb diet
HBa1c 6/13 4.5
I use a acucjek at the moment it works well for me and gives me very accurate blood sugar reading although the pen can be hard to get replacements for