Why lo-carb has to be hi-fat

pedro606

I too found this fascinating. I have to admit that I in no way associated eating 'fat' to aid weight loss!

I ate some bacon that I cooked on a tray in the oven yesterday and painstakingly cut off ALL the fat!

I have also been buying high quality sausages with a high meat(protein) content. I know the cheaper ones may contain less meat BUT they may also contain more carbs etc. Any suggestions on 'cheaper' sausages to buy?

Before I was diagnosed T2 a few weeks back I thought that would be an end to the wonderful curries that I love to make-- especially rice. I made one the other day and had 'caulifower' rice. OK, it was different but acceptable in the scheme of things! I gave the chapatis and nans a wide berth though.

Back to fats. Are ALL type of cheeses OK. I was primarily thinking of brie and camambert and roquerfort. I absolutely love eating those with red wine. A habit i picked up learning French living with a French family many moons ago. I used to have french bread with the cheese but only the crust though. I guess I will have to give up on the crusts! (hopefully not the cheese and wine).

Someone mentioned belly pork. I actually love that as well and stopped eating it ages ago to try and lose weight. That was before I was diagnosed.

Life's not so bad after all!

Pete

Trinkwasser

There's a lot of work on the varying factors of different types of fat, I can never remember which is which though. Trans fats (and the synthetic muck they are using to replace them) are generally a no-no, keeping intake of Omega 3s up against Omega 6s is a good plan as most Western diets are hugely imbalanced.

The main problem is that most dietary research is carried out with high carb diets which can have quite different effects from when the same fats are eaten in the absence of the carbs and the high levels of insulin required to deal with them.

Some good places to work out from

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

http://www.alienview.net/zfat.html

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
I've seen some research reports that indicate that you need to try for the correct ratios of different types of fats. For most people trying to follow modern diet recommendations, this means more fats high in omega-3 fatty acids, in order to maintain a good ratio of omega-3 fats to omega-6 fats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3

Also, using more monounsaturated fats than usual, such as from olive oil, is also helpful.

Saturated fats are not required; however, there is some controversy over whether you need to avoid all types of saturated fats, or only certain types.

SilverAndEbony

I know I'm a bit negative about low-carbing. But giving is a real consideration.....

My question is - what are the health implications of a high-fat diet?
I know fat isn't advised for weight-loss diets, but that's because it's supposed to make you feel less 'full up'. I am thinking about my diet as someone who has a high risk of heart disease - unrelated to diabetes.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
SilverandEbony said:
I know fat isn't advised for weight-loss diets, but that's because it's supposed to make you feel less 'full up'.

That statement could not be more wrong. Fat satiates (satisfies) much more than any other type of food. And it's been proven (many times, and very recently on this site) that eating lots of fat makes you lose lots of weight.

I don't know the implications of eating a high fat diet with heart complications. Usually I'd say just give it a go - but I don't know. You could ask your doctor... (But most are against high fat diets in the first place).

Maybe research on the t'interweb?

Trinkwasser

[1] heart disease may not be unrelated, one cardiologist calls Type 2 "a cardiovascular disease sometimes associated with high BG"

[2] excess body fat is dangerous, excess blood fats (lipids) are dangerous. Both are generated from dietary CARBS not dietary fats.

Have a read around William Davis' blog, he's a cardiologist

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

Jaunty

Dislikes
Bad manners and poor service in shops etc
Hi all

I am currently studying as much information as possible regarding the low carb debate, with view to reducing my carb intake, if not cutting it out completely, but on reading the linked article at the start of this thread, I have become puzzled about the effects of ketones. The advice on the Diabetes.co.uk web site says that the presence of ketones can be very dangerous requiring immediate hospitalisation under certain conditions, but the linked article would suggest that ketones are good and not to be feared. perhaps I have misunderstood the article, it wouldn't be the first time, but can anyone throw some light on this apparent contradiction.

Regards - Jaunty

alaska

I'm not sure how dangerous ketones are in themselves and it's something I need to read more on.

What I do know is that subjecting your blood to very high levels of ketones at a given time is a bad idea as a high level of ketones in the blood leads to a condition called ketoacidosis which is a call the ambulance time.

However, I have no idea what constitutes a high level of ketones. There is certainly a marked difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. The following link (and quote) explain.

From wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis (diabetic ketoacidosis or the less common alcoholic ketoacidosis), which is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2. Ketoacidosis is a medical condition usually caused by diabetes and accompanied by dehydration, hyperglycemia, ketonuria and increased levels of glucagon. The high glucagon, low insulin serum levels signals the body to produce more glucose via gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis, and ketone bodies via ketogenesis. High levels of glucose causes the failure of tubular reabsorption in the kidneys, causing water to leak into the tubules in a process called osmotic diuresis, causing dehydration and further exacerbating the acidosis.

alaska

Apologies if this one's been posted in the past.

This blog has a wealth of information and takes the 'good hard look at what the research really means' that we like.

http://weightoftheevidence.wordpress.com/2005/09/14/examining-low-carb-low-fat-diets-part-3/

The link above is just the point at which I found the blog whilst searching for a reliable ratio of saturated fats to unsaturated fats to follow. It didn't give the concrete after but provided such a wealth of information and thoughts that I had to bookmark the link.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For those that are worried about ketones/being in a state of ketosis - I would sugget researching the difference between being in ketosis, and suffereing from ketoacidosis. They are 2 completely different things.

Jaunty

Dislikes
Bad manners and poor service in shops etc
Thanks to Alaska and Patch for the explanitory links - they were really useful. It might be helpful if sites such as Diabetes.co.uk and Diabetes.org.uk would draw such a clear distinction between the two states - Ketosis and Ketoacidosis.

Regards - Jaunty

Katharine

Thanks Alaska for Regina's lovely explanation about the importance of nutient density and how it is impossible not to throw the baby out with the bathwater if you follow the so called "healthy eating" guidelines.

Trinkwasser

Pity she doesn't post more (and the site seems to be running exceptionally slowly)

Regina's list of other blogs is worth it alone, she has most of the must-reads on there

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
yoghurt
Just really started my low carb dietary approach and was very interested to read about the consideration that should perhaps be given to protein/fat ratios.

In my (readily admitted) ignorance, I have been eating such things as donor kebab meat and salad(without any sauces or pitta bread) as a meal, as well as Mattesons sausage with (cheddar) cheese in a salad.

I have achieved good energy levels but not a 'dramatic' weight loss. Both are high in fat but I guess also in protein.

I must also admit I have mostly roasted my usual meals (chicken, turkey, chops) simply because I have found it easier to cook from frozen.

Hmmmm..... I guess I was kind of on the right track but got lost in the details.... Ah well, back to the menu planner.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
John.

For your homework visit the DIABETES FOOD section on here.
Read till your brain hurts. :lol: :lol: :lol: