Ask to reduce/stop metformin?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest HbA1c is 35 (down from 115 in November and 52 in February). I came across this chart and, given that I'm constantly feeling dizzy and also wake up most nights with dead hands ... I'm wondering if I need to have the metformin reduced.

When I rang the surgery for my results the receptionist just said "normal, no action". When I asked for the number she asked if I would understand it. I guess she knew I did when she heard the whooping down the phone lol.

I'm also getting cramp in my ankles/shins in the night and my feet have been painful in the toes when driving. They're ok when I have my trainers on but a day on my feet, in shoes, results in the pain.

Btw when I went for the blood test the nurse wouldn't take blood for a cholesterol test because my records said no action required for that. I paid at tesco yesterday and the result was 4.42 (obviously no split figures). It was 4.5 in February, since when I have been LCHF. I had been hoping for a lower number but at least it hasn't gone up.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post the chart and don't seem to be able to do so from my mobile . The chart mentioned that hypoglycaemia should be ruled out for lower readings.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.35 is an excellent number and it sounds like your LCHF diet has really worked well. Metformin has very few side effects but you might want to ask for it to be reduced as it may no longer be really important for you? Your cholesterol number is pretty good so I wouldn't worry about that.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your input. I'm inclined to ask for a reduction because I still have about 3.5 stone to go before I reach a healthy BMI. It would be a new challenge for me to try to control through exercise and diet alone.

I was quite deflated when the nurse was encouraging me, saying my cholesterol was ok. I wanted to say,
" but I've been eating lots of fat so I would like the test please!"

Thanks again.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently got my HbA1c down to 35 as well. GP reduced my Metformin SR from 4 to just 1 a day and offered another test in 3 months. If results are stable then they will stop all medication and revert to an annual test.

Advised me that they will still offer me annual eye tests if I still want them.

Am now only testing my own levels every other day and will soon change this to weekly just to keep an eye on things

Type 2. Was out of control till I found this forum. Low Carb and testing saved me. Glucophage 1 per day down from 4. HBa1c down to 36

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im on a metformin break due to hving 3 ct scans on friday and been told to leave them out so it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference, i expected to b starving hungry without them as they are supposed to be n appetite supressant but so far i havent noticed a difference

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently got my HbA1c down to 35 as well. GP reduced my Metformin SR from 4 to just 1 a day and offered another test in 3 months. If results are stable then they will stop all medication and revert to an annual test.

Advised me that they will still offer me annual eye tests if I still want them.

Am now only testing my own levels every other day and will soon change this to weekly just to keep an eye on things

Type 2. Was out of control till I found this forum. Low Carb and testing saved me. Glucophage 1 per day down from 4. HBa1c down to 36

Fantastic! congratulations! I'm not testing quite as much because I'm having a little holiday from it, having been obsessed with it. I don't want to get too laid back about everything now I've had some success. I've struggled to get an appointment to see the nurse but will see her on the 27th. I'm wondering whether to halve my metformin from 500mg at breakfast and eve meal. At least I'll have something to report and if it messes up my bg levels I've still got 3 months until my next HbA1c..

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
im on a metformin break due to hving 3 ct scans on friday and been told to leave them out so it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference, i expected to b starving hungry without them as they are supposed to be n appetite supressant but so far i haven't noticed a difference

Your numbers look great Andy. I still have a way to go regarding weight and that's the only reason I wonder if I should stay on the metformin. They say it helps weight loss. I've lost 5.5 stones and had no plateau until recently when I upped my calories because I felt I was losing the weight too quickly. my BMI has gone from 44 to 32 so there's still a lot of work to do. I feel my cholesterol could be lower too. it's good to still have challenges because I'm scared I will fall off the wagon.

I hope your ct scan results are positive.

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow, thats amazing weight loss, i found a motivation issue when i reached all my goals (never expected that) so i set myself fitness challenges now instead to keep me on the straight and narrow

thankyou, the ct scans where the easy bit, there is a camera going into places they should never go wedsnesday lol scared to death :nailbiting::nailbiting:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I would get a doctors appointment to ask about the dead hands, leg cramps etc. it could be something completely unrelated to diabetes. Don't know what though. Best wishes to you and Andy.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
wow, thats amazing weight loss, i found a motivation issue when i reached all my goals (never expected that) so i set myself fitness challenges now instead to keep me on the straight and narrow

thankyou, the ct scans where the easy bit, there is a camera going into places they should never go wedsnesday lol scared to death :nailbiting::nailbiting:

Yes, I used to be a fitness fanatic but life and it's ups and downs got in the way and I literally doubled my weight over a period of 23 years. I once went to Rosemary Conley classes and lost 6.5 stones. Unfortunately the class closed and I put most of the weight back on. THE d diagnosis was a blessing in disguise for me and finding this site was another blessing. I can't exercise like a used to but I do a mean walk!!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would get a doctors appointment to ask about the dead hands, leg cramps etc. it could be something completely unrelated to diabetes. Don't know what though. Best wishes to you and Andy.

Thanks, I will. My surgery is going through a transition period with regard to appointment system and it's hard to get to see the GP at the moment. I've always suffered with cramp in my feet and in recent years got it in my hips and my hands. Since being diagnosed with diabetes the cramped hardly appeared. I don't know if it was connected. I have masses of tiny blue veins in my inner ankle area (been there years) and I get cold feet (always did). I have a numbness in my toes and I'm waiting for an appointment with the podiatrist. The dead hands worries me and I mentioned it at my last meeting with the nurse but she didn't address it. I've always been bad about going to the doctor but I'll make the effort to try and get an appointment tomorrow.

My blood pressure has always been good, it seems to run in the family. It was 130 over 80 (I think) and now it's 111 over 75.

Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A side comment ref cholesterol. There is more nonsense and bad data around on this subject than almost any other area of medicine. Do search the web for some deeper info if interested. First eating fats doesn't add to your blood cholesterol; eating too many carbs can. Free blood cholesterol is not the same stuff that clogs the arteries; it's a much more complex scenario. Cholesterol is an essential for body repair so in itself is not something to endlessly reduce. So, in summary don't worry about your cholesterol readings but do continue the weight reduction thru low-carbing.

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A side comment ref cholesterol. There is more nonsense and bad data around on this subject than almost any other area of medicine. Do search the web for some deeper info if interested. First eating fats doesn't add to your blood cholesterol; eating too many carbs can. Free blood cholesterol is not the same stuff that clogs the arteries; it's a much more complex scenario. Cholesterol is an essential for body repair so in itself is not something to endlessly reduce. So, in summary don't worry about your cholesterol readings but do continue the weight reduction thru low-carbing.

Thanks for that. I guess I was curious because I had been LCHF since the last test in February and many people here had posted their cholesterol results. In February the nurse mentioned statins at 4.5 (splits not to hand but numbers were going in the right direction). I said no and I wanted figures this time as ammo against if statins are mentioned again. Anyway tesco test came out at 4.42 so it's going down. In the grande scheme, it's nothing to worry about, you're right. Thanks. :)