Standard NHS advice on diet

davege

Just had my appointment with the Dietetics and was given the standard advice about cutting down
on fats, protein and upping the level of starchy food!

Tried to show her that the reduced carb was the way to go for me. Total cholesterol at DX 7.8, HBA1c 8.3 and weight 18 stone 4 pounts. HBA1c two weeks ago 5.2, total cholesterol 4.3, HDL 2.9, LDL 2.23 and Trigs 1.27 and weight today 15 stone 1 pound.

I've taken the reduced carb approach I told her and she said that its all down to the meds! and when I stop losing weight I should go back to the starchy diet! NO WAY I said that is how I got the extra weight in the first place. She didnt condeme my approach but was not supporting it. I told her that there was no relationship between the fat you eat and cholesterol and she said there was a little.

The results above show for me the reduced carb approach works, thank God.

Hopefully that is the last appointment I will have with the dietetics.

Meds metformin 3x500g, Simvastation 40mg and Ramipril 5mg.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Dave,

Well done for achieving a fantastic set of figures - you obviously know what works for you so just keep with it.

davege said:
Just had my appointment with the Dietetics and was given the standard advice about cutting down on fats, protein and upping the level of starchy food!
Well, if you were to follow her advice then you certainly would need to cut right down on fats because fats are only dangerous when consumed with high levels of starch.

I've taken the reduced carb approach I told her and she said that its all down to the meds! and when I stop losing weight I should go back to the starchy diet!
Interesting comment to have been made by someone who is not qualified to make judgements about medication. In fact the only diabetes med you are on is not capable of producing a 3.1% reduction in HBA1C. The maximum reduction that metformin is believed to be capable of is 1.5mmol, and that is at the highest dose, which you are not on!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Absolutely brilliant davege!!!! :D
Brilliant on 2 levels, the huge improvement in all your numbers of course, but also in standing up to the irrational dietary dogma. It seems like we're seeing more and more outcomes like yours where people are prepared to give it a good go.
Incidentally, with cholesterol numbers like yours, you might want to think about whether you need to keep taking the simvastatin? I know what I would do with it!

All the best, and thanks for letting us know your great results.

fergus

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news! I stopped taking Simvastatin a while ago. I hated it - it made me feel absolutely terrible.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
thats great news, well done you :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Well done davege!!!
I just wrote to the Human Nutrition department of Readingg University about Healthy Diet.
I would love to be able to do a Ph.D on it. But I think I'm probably too old and I'd never be able to afford it

davege

fergus said:
Absolutely brilliant davege!!!! :D
Brilliant on 2 levels, the huge improvement in all your numbers of course, but also in standing up to the irrational dietary dogma. It seems like we're seeing more and more outcomes like yours where people are prepared to give it a good go.
Incidentally, with cholesterol numbers like yours, you might want to think about whether you need to keep taking the simvastatin? I know what I would do with it!

Simvastatin - yes was thinking about that myself but I think more reading is required on my part any help with useful research papers from anybody would be great.

Also I don't like the Ramipril and think its giving me a cough and advice on this would be great.

Think I'm happy with the metformin presently.

Fenster

Hi davege

What a turn around, money could not buy the way you feel now, very well done.
Ramipril is a very effective drug for reducing blood pressure, I use it with no problems. A cough is a well known side effect. Perhaps you could change to another ACE inhibitor.

Good luck Fenster.

Trinkwasser

davege said:
I've taken the reduced carb approach I told her and she said that its all down to the meds! and when I stop losing weight I should go back to the starchy diet!

Was her name Ally?

Excellent but not unexpected results!

SilverAndEbony

Hi Dave,

just out of interest, who did you have your appointment with? I mean was she a gp, a nurse practitioner or whatever. I ask because we seem to see people with different qualifications for our advise. That doesn't mean that one area of expertise doesn't have knowledge and understanding of another area.
I see a specially trained nurse practitioner for the most part. When I saw my GP about changing my tabs - which I only did because I have an embarrassingly high number of appoints at the docs without another one! - she did the basics and said to see our nurse practitioner. My Mum seems to see her GP. I don't know if they have any extra training in diabetes, Mum doesn't give much away. Some people go to diabetes clinics.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Once again a reminder to stay on topic and not 'flame ' other posters.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Please remember what you signed up for when you joined this forum,

Private messaging, blogging and chat
We encourage users to make use of the new software that allows private messaging, and will allow blogging and chat in the future. However, abusive emails and message, chats and blogs will not be tolerated. Abusive communications will be passed to ISPs and individuals will be banned.

I have just banned a member for cruel and malicious Pm's .this is not tolerated on the forum .Please be civil in your posts.

davege

SilverAndEbony said:
Hi Dave,

>just out of interest, who did you have your appointment with?

Had appointment with Dietician who went through my food dairy for food eaten in the last week and
was given a leaflet with diet ideas and advice for diabetics.

10 points on leaflet and must say that I would agree with sugary drinks and sugary food should be avoided but had a problem with the main advice to eat starchy food with every meal and base all meals around starchy food like rice, potatoes etc.

The same advice is given on the NHS website on diabetes.

Dave

ally5555

Thanks Sue for sorting the nonsense out last night.

Dave - if she gave u a standard leaflet then it isnt good enough. I have encountered this before and everyone needs indivual advice with a meal plan that suits you .

If you cn scan it in a pm i will have a look at it!