Early signs of pregnancy

vikc

Hi all,

My wife and I have been trying for a baby over the past few weeks and we used clear blue ovulation test to test whens the best time.

She has still got 9 days till she is due for her period, but she is potentially getting early signs of pregnancy and just wanted to get some views on whether they are or is it just us reading too much into it.

She has been getting stomach cramps (just like if she was going to start her period but she only gets this a day or two before she is due for her period so it is a bit early for that)

Her breasts feel tender / bigger

She has been feeling very tired and she is getting more pains than normal in her legs, and she is also getting lower back pain.

She also had some random high sugars today which didn't really make sense as she is using an insulin pump and she had corectly worked out the dosages.

Do you feel this could be early signs or is it too early to say?

Appreciate all your help in advance.

Thanks

Vik

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been there, done that - every month for 4.5 years!!!

Honestly, as exciting as it is, don't read into anything - you'll only get over excited and potentially gutted if it turns out to not be a sticky one.

Wait til you are at two week point and then test.

I drove myself insane during my years of trying....

Best of luck xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

chloe1

Hi Vic

It's impossible to say if they are pregnancy symptoms - sometimes when you want it so much you trick your body into feeling pregnant. But then I did have those same symptoms when I fell pregnant.
I would say just do as much as possible now in case you are but don't get too excited yet. Make sure your wife is on high strength folic acid, and maybe a pregnancy vitamin. And just try and keep those blood sugars stable.
If you are concerned, I did a pre pregnancy advice appointment with my diabetic clinic. Have you done something like that?
Just try and hold out until it's the right time to test, and then go buy as many **** tests as you want! It can get quite obsessive when you are trying.
And good luck, let us know how you get on.

vikc

Thanks for the replies.

I see what you mean about becoming excited but is quite hard to control lol

She is on folic acid and has been on it for quite a few weeks now...I think it's a 5mg dosage, but I do know it's much stronger than they prescribe to non-diabetics.

Not taking any vitamins...any you would recommend?

She's trying hard with the sugars, but for example last night 3 hours after dinner her blood sugar was 7.5 but then she woke up 2 hours later to check it, it had shot up to 18.

My wife's been using the insulin pump sinc Jan so is still getting used to it hence waking up every 2-3hrs at night to check sugar levels, but was strange that it shot up so much despite it being 7.5 at around 10pm.

Will let you know how we get along, we are quite excited about testing even though we have said to ourselves that it's still 50:50

She is due for next period of 27th, and the clear ble test says we can test 4 days before but it's only 60% accurate, I think we will probs test this saturday (24th) and if negative will try on the 27th. I think reading previous posts people say that you can get a false negative but you will never get a false positive...so fingers crossed for this weekend.

Once again thanks for the responses.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get her on pregnacare vits. From what I remember you need 40mg a day of folic acid for conception and first three months of pregnancy. You can take pregnacare vits throughout and after pregnancy.

I really wouldn't rest earlier than period day. You can get a false positive and end up having a chemical pregnancy which doesn't stick so will just get your hopes up.

I know how amazing this is but honestly, from experience, just try not to think about it.

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

vikc

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I double checked and the consultants letter / leaflet does state 5mg folic acid is required for diabetic women.

Ah ok well we will wait in that case, my understanding was you couldn't get a false positive.

I guess because it's the first time we really trying it's quite hard trying not to think about it, but we are preparing ourselves for the fact that it could well be negative. I guess hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Thanks

Vik

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't diabetic at time of trying to conceive so follow the advice you've been given re folic acid!

I still remember when I first started trying to get preg - it was so exciting. Hopefully you'll conceive quickly but try not to let it consume you which it so easily can. It'll happen when the time is right. Enjoy the trying part!!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014.

vikc

Hi,

As promised that I would let you know the outcome, my wife did a pregnancy test this morning (the day she was due for her next period) and she got a positive result.

So we are both over the moon but we both realise the importance of the first 12 weeks. Any advice on what to make sure we do please let us know e.g. foods to avoid. She is on folic acid and will continue to take that but if you suggest any other vitamins or anything that would help please shout!

Another question we have is that we have booked a holiday for this coming friday to Tunisia. The flight is only 3 hours long and there is no time difference from the UK so we hope it should be ok, but please do let us know your views on this.

All the help is much appreciated.

Vik

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats!!! That's a very jammy result.

As for flying, they recommend not flying during first and last trimester because if compression on the womb at the high altitude (think of what happens to water bottles when you're on a plane).

I travelled to Las Vegas when I was 10 weeks preg with my second and went on to have a fine pregnancy (she was a month prem but nothing to do with flying).

The other thing about holidays is food poisoning so avoid anything that looks suspicious. No runny eggs, fresh seafood, meat well cooked etc. It's common sense.

You need to tell gp so you can get booked in with midwife ASAP.

If it was me on my first pregnancy I would not have flown but it took so long to conceive. It's really for you to decide. I'm sure people travel all the time without knowing they're preggers and go on to have a safe delivery....

Best of luck!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm concerned about the 18. It really is important to get the bloods under control, if she joins the forum,there are some clever people who can help and congratulations to you both

vikc

Thanks for all the replies / congratulations.

She is really struggling with the sugars on the pump, they seem to be randomly shooting up, the other night it shot up to 21.

It's really hard because even if she calculates the carbs correctly and gives the right amount of insulin it still goes up.

She is using a medtronic insulin pump, and any advice on what she should be doing to get better control please do let us know.

Thanks

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think you need to go back to doc asap

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Fasting basal check would probably be a good start if your wife eats and boluses for her tea wait 4 hours for that insulin to be used up eat nothing else and check every 2 hours until breakfast this will tell you if the basals set up are correct should only be done if bs is below 10 though, this can also be used to check during the day but should be checked every hour for 5 tests it leads to a few sleeoless nights but you need to be getting used to them anyway :p

Congratulations
Danae

vikc

Thanks for the messages, I think we are going to try to keep meals to below 50g carbs and for the next few weeks as a minimum test regularly. It's the night time that's the worst.

We just used an online pregnancy calculator which calculated that my wife it 4 weeks pregnant. For diabetic type 1 women when do you normally have a first scan? My wife thinks that's it's earlier than the normal 12 weeks non diabetics have.

We are both very excited but we are not going to be letting family and friends know till we have had the first scan and everything is ok.

Thanks

Vik

kt78

Hi and congrats! The NICE guidelines say you should be offered a viability scan between 7-9 weeks:

www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG063Guidance.pdf

Also, get a copy / download of Pumping Insulin by John Walsh, it's brilliant and has a chapter on pregnancy.

Oh, and just to mention most women find carbs most difficult in the morning so you might want to limit them to 20g at breakfast. Have you tried Burden soya and linseed bread, it's 12g a slice you can get it in most supermarkets and it's only £1 in Iceland - bargain!?

vikc

Thanks kt78 for your response,

We just got back early hours this morning from Tunisia where we had a lovely break, all excited with what lays ahead.

My wife is going to speaking with the diabetes midwife tomorrow to discuss when the first scan will take place, if they aren't keen to do it between 7-9 weeks we will then discuss the guidelines with them.

Great, will be getting that from the supermarket today, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kt78

Glad you had a good break! Just some tips on breakfast...

Most cereals are high GI and will cause a spike, milk and fruit are too so I avoid them for breakfast. Adding some protein to your bread will slow down the carb release -eggs are really good (if your wife can tolerate them with morning sickness!).

Hope that helps a bit :)

vikc

Thanks kt

Fortunately until now my wife hasn't really had any morning sickness lol

Will definitely take the advice into account, she does like eggs but I thought there was a restriction on how many eggs she can eat as they contain some sort of bacteria?