LCHF and the NHS

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And as it says in Mr Dr Diet Doctor guy's talk, they did have the issue examined by their Vulcan Science Council or whatever it's called, their equivalent of NICE, which pronounced LCHF as acceptable, after looking at all the extant information over 2 years. So it's reasonable to assume that the Swedish Brains Trust has conducted a decent meta-review and were not just smoking herring.

(the link is timecoded to where he talks about Sweden)
(no it isn't, sorry, the forum software ate the timecode. It's at about ten minutes in)

Spiker, thank you for putting this video on. When you are recently diagnosed it is daunting to have to wade thrrough the many studies that will enable you to control your diabetes, as well as coming to terms with having it. But I feel that this video is going to help me onto the right track. For me, seeing results is far better than reading about them, and also I have been afraid of high fat if I am honest. Through brainwashing I guess!

Thanks again.

Reactions: 2 people

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help I'm confused. My Nurse said Diabetes and high cholesterol usually went hand in hand. I eat a Mediterranean diet, which I thought was healthy, and I always went for low fat healthy food,but my cholesterol was up a little anyway.

I'm now on Simvastatin, and interested in everyone's opinion about the LCHF diet they are on and how it is working well for them. But methinks I couldn't eat HF if I'm on meds to reduce them , it doesn't make sense to me....or am I missing something here.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Help I'm confused. My Nurse said Diabetes and high cholesterol usually went hand in hand. I eat a Mediterranean diet, which I thought was healthy, and I always went for low fat healthy food,but my cholesterol was up a little anyway.

I'm now on Simvastatin, and interested in everyone's opinion about the LCHF diet they are on and how it is working well for them. But methinks I couldn't eat HF if I'm on meds to reduce them , it doesn't make sense to me....or am I missing something here.
I don't know where your nurse got the idea that diabetes and high cholesterol go together. I'm not aware of any scientific evidence for that; yet another bit of NHS mythology. Blood cholesterol is not directly related to the fat you eat. It is produced by the liver for many reasons including body repair. Excess carbs are stored by the liver as fat around the body. I'm afraid many HCPs have a poor understanding of the body's food metabolism and it is complex. Eating a sensible level of fats will be good for you. Many of us have decided not to have statins as the evidence for having them is very shaky. There are many interesting articles on the web about fats, cholesterol and statins. Dr Briffa is one of many who can explain the implications in more detail

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There's a condition called Diabetic Dsylipidemia that your nurse may be referring to:

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.86.3.7304

There's also a inherited condition called Familial Hypercholesterolaemia:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters...2/medical/familial-hypercholesterolaemia.aspx

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Hi Liz, mine seems to be working fine for me, BG going down nicely and weight as well. I was prescribed simvastatin for my cholesterol, but it seemed a typical NHS knee jerk reaction by the GP to me and I'm not taking them. I'm concentrating on BG control and will let the cholesterol take care of itself. As for HF, for me it's a case of not worrying about it. I don't go out of my way to eat loads and loads of fat, but at the same time I don't avoid it either, whether butter, cheese, cream etc or with bacon, salami and so on. I don't eat great slabs of fat with meat because I can't and never have been able to eat it, the texture turns my stomach. As already said, you need to eat fat and protein to give you the fuel previously provided by carbs, but this has little to do with cholesterol.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I like smoked herring too.

Alas I just made the expression up to make fun of Swedes and Scandis. In English you can say "smoking [whatever]" which means hallucinating. So no sorry it was just my attempt at a joke to lighten the mood. As was "Swedish Vulcan Science Council ".
Kipper?

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a condition called Diabetic Dsylipidemia that your nurse may be referring to:

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.86.3.7304

There's also a inherited condition called Familial Hypercholesterolaemia:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters...2/medical/familial-hypercholesterolaemia.aspx
That's a very interesting article about Diabetic Dyslipidemia, and it could indeed be what the Nurse was referring to. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App