Keytones help

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just tested my blood sugar which is 33. Weirdly I dont feel 'high'. Just tested fir Keytones on my freestyle optium, keytones are 0.3 have no idea what this means. Help, anyone know?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normal range is 0 to 0.6 I think. So you're in the middle of normal.

Are you newly diagnosed? 33 BG reading is very high

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. No, type 1 for 41 yrs. have no idea why it is so high, not that high. Will keep testing every half hr or so. Did have 'nibbles' at my slimming world class but my blood sugar wouldnt normally be that high.

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi, did you wash your hands? just a thought but I have had a couple of really high readings following handling cold meats, cheese, etc when making sandwiches for my kids. NO IDEA what it is about but trying a second test is always worth it just in case.Good luck.:)

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope the BG is just a rogue high reading due to contamination.
Retest is a good idea and at that level keep retesting and also keep checking ketones. I am guessing 0.3 is in g/L units which makes that 'moderate' ketones.

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Retested an hr later after injecting 7 units novorapid and its now 23.7. Keytones now 0.2. Must admit I barely ate today so didn't test either, no a good idea. Will test every half hr or so. Will remember to wash my hands ( I hadn't).

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Did you wash your hands? Have u got a 2nd meter to double check after scrubbing hands?

If you are correcting by insulin you will need to double your correction doses. Test every hour and if after 4 hours still not down to under 15 then whack in some normal dose correction insulin.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
in my experience for keytones to cause a problem they need to build up over quite a few days or even weeks .in my case i suffered rapid weight loss as an indicator ,levels soon return to normal when you get your BG back under control so try not to worry about one high reading.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
in my experience for keytones to cause a problem they need to build up over quite a few days or even weeks .in my case i suffered rapid weight loss as an indicator ,levels soon return to normal when you get your BG back under control so try not to worry about one high reading.
Sorry but this is by no means always true. Ketones or rather ketoacidosis can become dangerous in hours rather than days especially if blood sugar is already very high like in this case. Diabetic ketoacidosis can progress very rapidly into a life threatening condition.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are correcting by insulin you will need to double your correction doses. Test every hour and if after 4 hours still not down to under 15 then whack in some normal dose correction insulin.
Various methods for correcting ketones are taught so use whatever method you are comfortable with. But you will definitely need more than your normal correction dose.

The drop from 33 to 23 in just one hour after a 7u correction is very promising.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
should probably add that this is what led to me being diagnosed with secondary diabetes because of long term chronic pancreatitis and being put straight onto 4 injections a day which after 3 days brought the keytones down to a safe level.after twelve months im still having problems controlling my condition and in past three months my BG has been in the 13 to 25 range and am having to up insulin doses to try and combat this only just found this forum and have learnt more in last hour than from 12 months with doctor.

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its down to 22.4 after novorapid two hrs ago. Will feel better (mentally!) when its heading for the 10's. I guess 4 hrs is a good time fir the 7 units to work their fullest, then might need a bit more.

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never ever had dKA, I've followed DAFNE sick day rules with success. I think this high is me not checking bg's enough and maybe even the eating very little? Scares you a bit though, high blood sugars. Last time it was this high I felt it, felt yucky, drank a lot, felt achy shoulders . This time nothing.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only been that hi twice due to pump disconnecting during night. However, I felt ****. Absolute comatose levels for not moving, tiredness etc.....
Down to normal after 12 hours 1st occasion.. (Lessons learned) and 2nd occasion was 6 hours.. No dka even tested for as I thought I knew reason and could just get it down and also both times felt so bad I literally couldn't be ***** to get out of bed to get the kit out. Certainly wouldn't have read instructions!!

Beauty of a pump in some aspects. But not when the **** pump caused the probs!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No dka even tested for as I thought I knew reason and could just get it down and also both times felt so bad I literally couldn't be ***** to get out of bed to get the kit out. Certainly wouldn't have read instructions!!
This is totally understandable and I've been there, I've done it myself. But I just want to stress that it is dangerous not to test for ketones when you have high BG and feel **** (exactly the sort of time when you really don't feel like finding the test kit). It's quite possible to have ketones high enough that your normal correction dose will have no effect on your BG. In this case it's imperative to switch to a more aggressive insulin therapy, such as the DAFNE Sick Day Rules. Otherwise the condition can escalate, with both BG and ketones rising.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
should probably add that this is what led to me being diagnosed with secondary diabetes because of long term chronic pancreatitis and being put straight onto 4 injections a day which after 3 days brought the keytones down to a safe level.after twelve months im still having problems controlling my condition and in past three months my BG has been in the 13 to 25 range and am having to up insulin doses to try and combat this only just found this forum and have learnt more in last hour than from 12 months with doctor.
Yes that slow onset DKA is very typical of diabetics at diagnosis - I had the same thing. On diabetics who have been on insulin for some time, DKA can have a much more rapid onset, becoming serious in hours or 1-2 days rather than days or weeks.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its down to 22.4 after novorapid two hrs ago. Will feel better (mentally!) when its heading for the 10's. I guess 4 hrs is a good time fir the 7 units to work their fullest, then might need a bit more.
Yes do take it easy, and don't be tempted to overcorrect or correct too often, as long as your BG is continuing to head in the right direction, ie down! Sounds like you are going to be totally fine.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How much would you normally expect 7u of insulin to drop your BG. I.e. what's your DAFNE correction ratio?

Just asking because if you are doing insulin correction doses that are pretty large for you it's worth considering that you may get a small drop in the 5th hour after injection as well.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just out of intrest, what did you eat and how did you work out you carb count?......just cannot get my head around why you levels are so high, also what ratio of carbs to insulin did you use ???