Nights out

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, I'm going out out for the first time in 1yr and a half! (Had a baby n this time) I'm petrified about going out as I have no idea how I will control it when I'm out out? Anyone had good/bad experiences or got any good advice? There must be some party animals on here!! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you are type 1 so if you are going to drink alcohol then you need another T1 to give advice. You could be the real party animal and drink water.

Whatever you do enjoy yourself

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I let it all hang out recently. Went out and had 3 fried eggs and 5 rashers of bacon for brunch.
But I always was a bit mental.

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Seriously cant say what alcohol will do to you I am unmedicated T2.
It reduces my result at the time but I suffer the next day.
I suspect it will be different for you.

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently don't have a type, being treated as type 1 (I know it's baffling) so I inject 4x a day but this is where I have a predicament, today I had a hypo at 2.6 :( and I worry what will happen under the influence of alcohol, I'm not one to drink lots but this hypo crept up on me and had no obvious warning until it was too late so panicking about Saturday x

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I currently don't have a type, being treated as type 1 (I know it's baffling) so I inject 4x a day but this is where I have a predicament, today I had a hypo at 2.6 :( and I worry what will happen under the influence of alcohol, I'm not one to drink lots but this hypo crept up on me and had no obvious warning until it was too late so panicking about Saturday x

Im far from being an expert , but 2.6 seems very low.
I have read and experienced that alcohol reduces BG.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
If you are not diagnosed are you not possibly the LADA have you perused that forum? l don't know much about it other than if you are not 1 or 2 or gestational you are likely a 1.5 (l think)

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes

I don't have a type either. Sure im T2 but haven't had any confirmation
Was just told my BG was not good . And it really was not

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm only 23 and I'm sure LADA is a late onset type 1? There was talks of it being MODY a rare genetic form? But everything's inconclusive! I reckon my pancreas is on it's was out but going through a honeymoon period where my pancreas has a bit of fight left in it (that's my opinion, not a medical one)

God it's such a effing pain in the bum! Literally too as that's where I inject ha!

Mezzy954

Hi Emma I usually drink on nights out and sometimes too much, I'm also a type 1. Alcohol does tend to reduce BG, but it depends. If they are spirits with a diet mixer these do tend to reduce BG however if it's beer, cider,cocktails etc. It can raise your sugars ☺

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool, my plan based on your theory....

Beer, beer, vodka coke, beer, beer, vodka coke

Haha, blimey I'm drunk just thinking about it! I think one beer will do lol

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol is a tricky one. What type of drink do you usually go for? I ask because different types of drink have different effects. For instance, cider is generally very sugary. A pint of cider would probably raise your blood sugars at first, and then the alcohol would make it drop later.
I tend to only drink dry white wine now. According to the book Carbs and Cals, a typical 125ml glass will have 1g of carbs. That way I'm not worrying about trying to cover going high with insulin and then crashing later, I just need to keep some glucose to hand if my blood sugars drop a bit.
Probably goes without saying, but the more you drink, the greater the effect will be! I would suggest having no more than two glasses of wine (not dessert wine, they tend to be sugar fests), and then test your blood sugars an hour later to see if the alcohol has affected things. Testing more regularly for 24 hours afterwards is also a good idea, as alcohol can stay in your system for longer than you expect.

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone it's really good talking about it! Still feel anxious as I just don't want to end up being a burden on my friends but at the same time why should I let diabetes rule me! Xxx

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Beer is pretty carby.

Ideally avoid all carby drinks and mixers.

Alcohol will usually keep your blood sugar low on the night and swing high the morning after. If you have carby drinks this means high on the night and super high the morning after. You don't want to be messing with insulin more than necessary while drunk because you may screw it up and you may fail to recognise a hypo and you may fail to treat it correctly. Go easy on your insulin injections, err on the side of caution. Few things are worse than having a hypo you didn't see coming in the middle of a loud packed bar. Do tell your friends about your diabetes, what to look for and what to do, and have at least one person who will be sure you're not left on your own. But as they will be drinking too you can never totally rely on them. It's down to you. I have to mentally "sober up" every hour or two just to check I'm not doing anything too stupid.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
oh yes - tell them what to look for... "Oh I will look/act drunk to you" Umm rofl

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emma, I am T1 diagnosed in July last year, I didn't drink for the first 6 months but reintroduced alcohol around christmas. A colleagues leaving do was my first 'night out' and I had chips in the pub which I injected for but reduced slightly, I also had 5 beers and a shot, then a snack when I got home which I didn't inject for. Seemed to work :)

I am more comfortable running a little higher than risking hypo's when drinking. I also don't correct, for example I went to bed on 15 after a night on wine and woke up on 5, so glad I resisted the correction!

I know everyone advises against the beers but we have to live a little don't we :)

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to bed on 15 after a night on wine and woke up on 5, so glad I resisted the correction!

I know everyone advises against the beers but we have to live a little don't we :)

I wager that was the "chips"? (Looking at yer profile. We're on the same meds.) I can spike high & drop rapidly on chips.. No matter how I correct for it.. I rarely eat em, about 3 times a year..? But only if pushed into a corner.. Lol
Most nights out I avoid booze by appointing myself "designated driver"... Ah, the voice of temperance I hear you sigh...:***:

Not really.. I'll have a drink when we get home.. :cool: