Byetta 10

shavals

Hi Dennis

I started using the 10 on 2 March, this hasn't gone so well as the 5, as today the 20th I am still feeling queasy either after breakfast or after tea.

My levels are great in fact except on a couple of occasions I have dipped to 3.3.

Do you think this nausea will disappear?

Have a great Easter, we will be out walking a lot with the dogs regardless of the weather.

Pauline Jones

Hi, I had a similar problem with Reductil. My blood sugar also dipped to 3.3 just before bedtime. I had to get up in the night to eat most nights while I was taking it. I only took it for 5 days and couldn't put up with the hypos. I suggested perhaps my diabetes meds could be lowered but I was told no. I have come to the attention of the diabetic unit at the hospital as I was going to go on insulin and the nurse said my meds should have been lowered. She is going to write to my GP so fingers crossed. Hope you can sort the problem out too. I mention my experience as perhaps your meds need lowering too? Under medical advice of course.

david parkman

Hi all im new on this site, Am type 2 and due to get my Byetta 5 starter on Tuesday. Have been looking for info on peeps experiences. Seems to be quite varied on the timing and the nausea. But welcome anybodys experiences.

shavals

Hi Junior Member

perhaps it is the Gliclazide I am on, I take 1 twice per day. After about 10 days on the 5 pen all nausea etc. stopped, hopefully my D. Consultant will help me on Tuesday when I see her.

have a good easter.

Pauline

Pauline Jones

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi David,

The advice that comes with the Byetta pack is that you must eat a meal within one hour of taking your injection. Many people seem to suffer a feeling of nausea to varying degrees, although it is very rare to actually throw up. What a lot of people have found is that the longer the gap between the injection and the food then the greater the nausea. The best plan is to eat within 15 minutes of the injection.

Also until your body becomes acclimatised to it, generally a week to ten days, try to avoid any spicy or greasy food (no fry-ups, curries or chillies).

Pauline, this also could help you - try taking your injection immediately before your meal as this should help you feel less nauseous. It generally wears off after a week or so.

david parkman

Thanks dennis exactly the kind of info i was looking for. Just got to have the appointment tomorrow pm. Am due to fly to Spain in 3weeks and have a concern over the " SHARPS + PENS" in hand luggage How does everyone else get round it ?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi David,

I've just flown back from Egypt last week and carried my pen and needles in cabin luggage with no problem at all. The airlines and BAA advise that you should carry a letter from your GP, addressed "to whom it may concern" stating that you are diabetic and that it is essential that you be allowed to carry your injection kit in your hand luggage. I carried my Byetta pen in cabin luggage in a Frio bag to keep it chilled during the trip.

This time I had no difficulty, but last October I flew to the States and I had to show the GP's letter before they would let me board. I tend to fly quite a bit and have seen passengers refused permission to board with an insulin kit but no GP letter.

david parkman

Dennis again spot on !! Frio bags, are they the ones that you put under the tap ? As have heard of but didnt need before going on Byetta

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
David,

You just soak the bag in cold water for 5 to 10 minutes to activate the gel crystals. Here's a link to their web site. Their mail order is very good - mine arrived 3 days after I ordered it.

http://www.friouk.com/

david parkman

Thanks dennis, have had a look - and they arnt expensive. Got the first Jab done tonight so at least its started. My centre is at Worthing Hosp. It seems from what they were saying that its a huge trial thing as there appear to be all sorts of follow ups planned.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi David,

Now you've started with the Byetta jabs, here's a few things that frequently get asked by new starters.

There are air bubbles in the pen chamber - is this normal? Yes perfectly normal. Every time you insert a new needle (and you should use a new needle every time) this allows a small bubble of air to enter the chamber. These build up over the course of a month into quite a big bubble by the 30th day.

Why do I need to use a new needle every time? Because if you leave the needle attached this allows air to enter the chamber, which will make the exenatide "go off". If you remove the needle and re-use it, they get quite blunt after just a couple of uses and injections will be painful.

What type of needles should I use? Use the finest points you can get (29 gauge) as these are less painful. The length will depend on where you are injecting. Around your stomach you generally have more fat so should use an 8mm length needle. If like me you sometimes inject in your thighs, which are are leaner, then use a 5mm needle. The needle length needs to be enough for you to inject into the area between the fat layer and the muscle tissue. The more fat you need to inject through then the longer the needle.

There is a drop of blood floating in the chamber - is this ok? No - you need to stop using that pen immediately and get a replacement. If you report it to Eli Lily Help Desk they will arrange for a replacement pen to be sent to your pharmacy. The blood occurs when you release the pressure on the plunger before the pen is fully withdrawn from the injection site. This creates a partial vacuum which will draw any sub-cutaneous blood into the chamber. Even though it is your own blood, it reacts with the exenatide and will make it "go off" very quickly.

Some parts of my stomach I don't feel the needle at all but in other places it hurts. Your stomach has small capillary veins just under the surface skin. It hurts if you inject through one of these but is painless if you manage to miss them. Rather than just plunge the needle in, I test the area by inserting the needle point just half a millimeter or so and if I can feel it then I know it will be painful. If I try again about a centimeter away then it is generally painless.

What happens if I have an injection and then don't eat within an hour? You could have a hypo. The injection causes your pancreas to go into first phase insulin production. The pancreas will then continue production as it detects food entering the stomach (second phase). If you don't eat then the pancreas won't go into second phase mode, but sufficient insulin can have been produced in first phase to cause a hypo.

If I forget the injection before my meal can I take it after? No - Eli Lily aren't very clear why you shouldn't but they are adamant that it could be dangerous. If you forget then just skip that injection. Missing an odd one won't do you any harm.

My two main meals are breakfast and lunch. Are these ok for my two injections? Only if there is a minimum of 6 hours between each meal. That is why Lily recommend breakfast and evening meal.

Does the pen need to be chilled all the time? Before first use it must be constantly refrigerated. Once in use it can be kept at room temperature (below 25C, 77F) for up to 7 days. This can be 7 continuous day or 7 separate days. So if you are going out for a meal, or going away for the weekend, you can take the pen with you unchilled.

I used an ice pack to keep the pen cool and the liquid has frozen - will it be ok when it has thawed? No - exenatide is a protein and freezing kills it. If you continue to use the pen you might just as well be injecting tap water.

Why is Byetta sometimes called lizard spit? It is an incretin that was first discovered in the poisonous saliva of the Gila lizard in south west USA.

Should I expect to see lower BS immediately? Byetta is very good at lowering and stabilising blood sugar levels that are not extremely high. It is not designed to produce radical reduction in overly high BS levels - for that you would need to take a sulphonylurea or glitazone medication.

Will it help me to lose weight? Weight loss has been found to be a very welcome side effect for most people, but not all. The medication itself doesn't cause weight loss, but it is an appetite suppressor, which means you will feel less like eating, and can manage happily with smaller portions. That is where the real weight loss comes from.

Do I have to progress to the 10mcg pen? Not necessarily. Some people find that 5mcg is sufficient to give the control they need. Some consultants (and it is generally consultants rather than GPs who prescribe Byetta) like patients to try the 5mcg dose for a few months before moving up to 10mcg.

I hope this will cover any questions you may have in the early days, but if not then fire away. Good luch with Byetta - I hope it is as good for you as it has proved to be for me.

BTW I am not very far from you, just up the A24 in Surrey. Unfortunately I don't come under the same PCT, so at the moment I have to pay privately for my prescriptions, although my consultant is trying to put pressure on my GP to push the PCT into paying.

david parkman

Well dennis its early days yet and just completed my jabs for the day. Havnt had nausea as such but a very very slight headache which didnt last, so am thinking this wont be so bad after all. As for hungry well in a nut shell i havnt been. But because i wasnt working today went to Argos and bought a set of scales so i detect a sense of optimism sneaking in. The appointment was in the form of a group tutorial. 5 in mine and 5 in another. I have a healthy scepticism of professionals where ever they be but i did get the impression that they knew a lot about the clinical side but not a lot about the practicalities.
There were several type 2`s already on insulin who were switching to Byetta and it did seem as though outside of their own experiences they hadnt been told much or encouraged to find out.
When i let it be known that i had looked for info on the net and in particular about everyday stuff i did get an odd look.

Anyway there was one good thing in that i got the contact number for a sharps box. I have been finger pricking since 2000 and noone has ever mentioned the subject of disposal of them.

carol

Hi, I started Byetta about 3 weeks ago. I'm flying to the states in May and have to take an unset pen with me. I got in touch with the FDA in the states and they said that it has to be kept cool.

I did my research and a Frio cooler won't keep it at the right temperature for the 10 hours or more that I'm flying and traveling to get to my parents' house. I went on-line and found a site that sells cooler bags which keeps the unset pen at the right temp for 10 hours and then for the next 10 hours the temp will slowly rise so I will be be safe.

Did you know that we in the UK miss out on free carry cases for the pens? In the states if you register with the Byetta site you can get a black case that your pen sits nicely in so you can travel with it safely. Here there is nothing. I have written to the companies, one here and one in Germany to see if we can get them. I'll let you know what they say.

For nausea I've been drinking warm flat ginger ale and wearing sea sickness bands and both have helped. I found the bands in Boots.

I've found that eating fats, like cheese and olive oil makes me feel sick.

Next month I go onto 10mcg. I'm part of a research trial for 6 months. There was no promise that we will be able to continue with the Byetta after the trial. I sure hope I can. Before the first shot I was running 13-15s, now I'm running 5-8s.

Carol

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Carol,

You are right about the Byetta cooler - only available to patients in the States. A Frio bag will keep an opened Byetta pen chilled, but not down to the refrigeration level needed for an unset pen. You could contact a pharmacy in the area you will be staying in the US and ask whether they would be prepared to accept a UK prescription instead of having to take a pen with you. You would have to pay privately for the Byetta, which is around $200 in the US.

On the food side, you are best to avoid anything greasy or oily or highly spiced until your body gets used to the Byetta. Generaly this takes a week to 10 days, but can be longer. As your BG has come down very well on the 5 pen, you need to keep a very careful check when you move up to the 10 pen because you could get hypos. With such a great improvement I'm surprised your doctor hasn't given you another month on the 5 to be absolutely certain that you really need to move up to the 10. Its a bit like saying you are doing really well on this dose, so lets double it!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Silvercat,

If you had no problems with the 5 pen then you will probably adjust quite quickly to the higher dose. Try taking the injection immediately before you eat - many people find this reduces the nauseous feeling. Also drinking something ginger flavoured often helps. Bottlegreen make a ginger and lemongrass cordial that is available in many supermarkets. It is high in sugar so should be very highly diluted.

Silvercat

Thanks Dennis. I only had about a 10 min gap between injection and food this morning. Hopefully it will pass soon anyway. I hate ginger so I am afraid anything ginger would only make things worse.