For Type 2 who DO get their test strips on prescription...

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there one type that the NHS will prescribe/pay for OR would I be able to request a certain kind IF in fact, my GP allows me to get them on prescription?

The reason I ask is:

I had a very, very hard time testing myself initially because of my intense fear of pricking my own finger. I've since gotten over the fear to some degree, but I still absolutely hate it and find it very stressful. As a result, I don't test as often as I should or would like to.

I was recently at the podiatrist for an infection. While there, they pricked my finger for a test. I was very pleasantly surprised that I barely felt it. I asked what type of pricker they used and the podiatrist wrote it down for me and told me to ask my GP to prescribe it. I went to the chemist (for another prescription) just to see how much it costs in case I can't get it on prescription. There, I found out that they are disposable prickers/meter in one, and cost about 18 quid for a month's supply. I was going to purchase them, but the chemist seemed sure that my GP would prescribe it for me (even though my GP didn't mention testing at all at my initial appointment). I mentioned I was Type 2, not Type 1, and the chemist said that "didn't matter". The chemist is right next door to my GP, so perhaps she knows something I don't! I have my next appointment on June 17th.

Does anyone know how the 18 quid a month cost for the disposable prickers/meters-in-one compare to the test strip cost of the brands that the NHS will pay for?

Reactions: 2 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was supplied with a jazz machine and a horrible lancet thing. I use my old one touch comfort lancer and you can barely feel it :) so worst case ask your doctor if you have one of those! Its the only one I dont mind using! I was curious as to how much the strips were for my new meter and can get them for 14.99 for 50 :) so guess all in all probably works out the same x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get prescribed strips because I take Glicazide and drive. I recently had my meter changed to one with cheaper strips. I now use a Wavesense Jazz. It is one of about four meters that have cheaper strips. I am also not sure about the finger pricker that comes with it and may continue to use the one that came with my One Touch machine.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard to say if you will get them on prescription as it does seem a bit of a postcode lottery as to who gets what, it won't hurt to ask if you can get them though

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
I've got a Braun omnitest 3 kit on prescription. Seems a good little meter.

Seems to differ county to county regarding prescription, I'm lucky to have a good medical team

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Denise, same as me!! I wasnt allowed strips on prescription at my old doctors, moved half mile down the road and new doctors gave them to me? My poor mum doesnt get them at her docs either x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i get them on perscription, my wife reckons im scarey so i get them lmao (not scarey, opinionated maybe but not scarey)

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i used the terumo needle, its not painful. but its not cheap either.

DeeBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get my test strips on prescription, I am type 2 on Metformin and Glicazide
I get mine on prescription and always have done with no bother. I now use the Aviva Nano which is easy to use, and you hardly feel a thing when picking your finger. I'm on metformin but my GP is helpful and agrees that testing is the only way to get control.

Lin 26

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bad manners
Bad driving
Greed
Disrespecting others
Bullying
I have recently been given the I Care Advanced machine from gp. It's ok but the lancet certainly is more punchy than my codefree. It really stings!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have the optium xceed. But my wife is'nt allowed one. She uses mine!

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get my strips prescribed and was given my original Xceed meter from the surgery as well, although Abbott have just sent me a free replacement as apparently the older meters were having problems with the new strips, or something like that.

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
I get my strips prescribed but they wanted to stop giving them to me because my control was good, i argued my case nad told them this was so because i tested and knew what spiked me and to keep away from it, they said it was nice guidelines and that i didn't need to test because i am only type 2 and not on any lowering medicines, i argued this wasn't true and not within the nice guidelines, they then admitted it was to do with budgets i then asked if they would give me a letter saying that their budget control was more important than my health.
Still get my strips

Mark

Reactions: 4 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the icare advanced. I'm ok with the lancet as long as I have it on a small setting. I can always seem to get enough of a blood spot out. I can't remember the one I used to have, but I got to dread the pricking bit and also avoided testing. It doesn't bother me in the least now.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your replies! I go back tomorrow for the first time since originally diagnosed, so I will plead my case!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed the accucheck mobile which is easy enough to use but sometimes I don't get the droplet bang on so waste a test. The cassettes are very expensive so I supplement with my own SD Codefree.

As I have now stopped medication I am expecting the supply may discontinue. I will argue to keep it if that happens.

Good luck :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I came off metformin, I wasn't denied the strips, I insisted on them, tell them what you are doing, and they should support you, especially as you are doing so well.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I get my strips prescribed but they wanted to stop giving them to me because my control was good, i argued my case nad told them this was so because i tested and knew what spiked me and to keep away from it, they said it was nice guidelines and that i didn't need to test because i am only type 2 and not on any lowering medicines, i argued this wasn't true and not within the nice guidelines, they then admitted it was to do with budgets i then asked if they would give me a letter saying that their budget control was more important than my health.
Still get my strips

Mark

...I think many of the doctors are confused about the NICE guidelines as I found the opposite to you Mark...they supplied them happily all the time I was diet only but stopped them when I started metformin SR as they said it was now 'controlled' hmmph..

..I would've argued my case but then I only ever got one pack a month which wasn't enough so I bought/bid for them on eBay until I discovered Codefree through lovely posters on here, they're so much cheaper and at the moment I can afford them...