Amazing offer???

richard256

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being on call
I THINK ITS WELL OUT OF ORDER NOT SUPPLING METERS AND STRIPS TO TYPE 2s I HAVE BOUGHT A
METER SO I CAN KEEP TABS OF MY BS LEVELS,BUT THE STRIPS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE.WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE?
I RECON THERE JUST PENCE FROM CHINA TO HERE IN THE UK.RICHARD

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
I feel truly blessed because I have always had my strips and lancets on prescription, plus I have now been given a new BG * Meyer by my doctor. I think its awful that you want to take control of your diabetes and are prescribed the tools you need.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another T2 who has to buy her own. I'm going to have another try when I have my review next month.

Robbity

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Another T2 who has to buy her own. I'm going to have another try when I have my review next month.

Robbity
In the US you can get free monitors from the manufactures by filling out online forms and answering the questions correctly.

The main correct answers are you are diabetic, you are using insulin as one method to control BG, you test 4 or more times a day and you have insurance!!

I've gotten a free Bayer Context, a free Free Style touch, and an older Accu-Chec

As for strips they are expensive except for the Bayer on Amazon about $28 to $30 per 100.

The best deal is Walmart's RelionPrime it cost about $17 and the strips are $10 per 50.

Of course they are in mg/dl

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I'm T2 and can't get meter or strips from my doctor. I was told that the 3 monthly testing was enough. I believe that the other doctor practice in Orkney do give meters, so might try to change practice.
This is because strips are expensive and they don't want to meet the cost. I think it's important to test daily. I test several times a day. It helps me maintain good control. It also meant that I was able to identify when I had a hypo!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
£7 for 50 tells me that someone is ripping off the NHS. My pharmacy pays ITRO £15 for 50 accucheck ( also 'code free')
I have never seen the sd codefree in the chemists. The meter has mixed reviews but has never been an issue for me.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I THINK ITS WELL OUT OF ORDER NOT SUPPLING METERS AND STRIPS TO TYPE 2s I HAVE BOUGHT A
METER SO I CAN KEEP TABS OF MY BS LEVELS,BUT THE STRIPS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE.WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE?
I RECON THERE JUST PENCE FROM CHINA TO HERE IN THE UK.RICHARD
Have you thought of buying an sd codefree from ebay. I know it would mean buying another meter but the strips are £7 for 50. Much cheaper! Free pp and vat.

peterlemer

I have never seen the sd codefree in the chemists. The meter has mixed reviews but has never been an issue for me.
Scandichic: my strips are not advertised as code free, but when I opened a new pack and there was no key I phoned my pharmacist who told me that the latest strips don't use a code.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scandichic: my strips are not advertised as code free, but when I opened a new pack and there was no key I phoned my pharmacist who told me that the latest strips don't use a code.
Out of interest what size are they? I originally bought an accucheck meter and the strips are not the same size as my codefree meter.

peterlemer

Out of interest what size are they? I originally bought an accucheck meter and the strips are not the same size as my codefree meter.
I doubt they are compatible. My strips are without code so I have described them, misleadingly as 'code free' whereas the 'codefree' mentionedby richard256 is the trademark of a specific brand. You must buy the strips specific to your meter, TTBOMK

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 diet controlled, used to be able to get test strips and lancets but over the years they have got less and less and for the past five years have not been able to get them on prescription. If I didn't test, I wouldn't still be diet controlled!

peterlemer

I'm type 2 diet controlled, used to be able to get test strips and lancets but over the years they have got less and less and for the past five years have not been able to get them on prescription. If I didn't test, I wouldn't still be diet controlled!

The more I read of GPs withholding strips, the more depressed I get...
Maybe we should set up a co-op, where those of us who can get strips distribute our surpluses, or maybe we simply club together for bulk purchase?
I'm speaking here as one who does get free strips, from one of the lowest-rated surgeries in my region! :)

pete

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've looked on websites that supply the medical industry, they sell them for roughly half the price we have to pay! The one I'd looked at was contour test strips (my previous meter), sold within the industry for £9 and to the consumer for £26 a box of 50 give or take a few pence! My husband gets the strips from abroad for £12 a box of 50!

Northernangel

It's the diabetic nurse that gives them out at our practice..
The belief is that going on a Desmond course to educate you in your eating as well as 3 monthly checks is enough.
I'm on Metformin that they say cannot give you hypos so was refused.
Having said that there was a time that I was going to be put on gliclazide and the nurse was going to give me a meter.
The reason being if your a driver you should test before driving as gliclazide gives you Hypos! Hence the meter.

I like many others have bought my own but I think they should be given to everyone to educate people of good foods and not so good . I was diagnosed over a year ago and I'm still learning..things that you think send you high done and vice versa. I've only learnt that through testing!!!

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been a type 2 since 2005 and there's always new foods to try and test. I decided to get alcohol free wine last week to be sociable around friends. 2 glasses later and high readings for me... No more pretend wine for me! Oh well back to the proper stuff ;D, just 1 glass though!

peterlemer

I'm on Metformin that they say cannot give you hypos so was refused.

I've been on Desmond and other courses, including a special study run by Addenbrooke's and that's a new one to me :-(

ditto gliclazide.

It seems that the NHS ( and perhaps the world at large) only has a dim and fragile grasp of how to treat T2D and it's up to us to make a patchwork life suite of decisions on whatever clues fall at our feet :-(

On top of which, our healthcare professionals think we can do this without regular self-monitoring.
I think 'unconscionable' is a great word

pete

Reactions: 2 people

mymate

I have been diabetic since about 2003 and in all of that time despite the fact that I started on gliclazide, then gliclazide and metformin, then pioglitazone, then saxagliptin, then insulin with each meal and in the evenings, I have never been offered a free meter. I do, however, have no problem at all in obtaining testing strips for whatever meter I decide to purchase. In fact, it would be true to say that I was not even aware that free meters were the "norm". Still I shouldn't have expected anything else really as I have never received any dietary advice and/or general management of my diabetes save from what I have read on the internet or raised with my doctor.

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an accucheck mobile but the cost of replacement strips (cartridge) at £28 is only £2 cheaper than a new machine with a 50 strip cartridge. ...
I have ordered a sd codefree with 100 strips/lancets for £23 from their website.
At £7 for replacement strips it should save me quite a bit.

Diagnosed 11/09/13 hba1c 76
16/12/13 hba1c 46

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On T2 diagnosis I was given a meter and 50 test strips by the practice diabetic nurse.I tested different foods as suggested and ran out of strips within a couple of months.I tried to get more strips and was told by the doctor that I dont need to test and that I am allowed a maximum of 50 strips per year - pretty pointless really. I have signed up for this program as it is so much cheaper than buying the strips and lancets - it costsabout the same as the prepayment prescription certificate I used to have to buy before diagnosis.

Strange thing though whenever I see a doctor for any issue I am asked whether my diabetes is in control .My answer - how would i know as you do not give me any strips to test and you only test my HBA1C annually.

I am moving soon - anyone know of a GP in Stanford- le- hope in Essex that prescribes strips for T2s?