Newly diagnosed diabetic

Sophie94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really glad to have found a forum to chat to people on. I have recently (in the last week) been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and at the moment it is a lot to take in. If know very few people with diabetes my own age (I'm 20) and would love to chat to some young adults who understand!! X

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Sophie, there are always plenty on here for a chat. If you have any questions or anything, please ask :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sophie94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi mo thanks for your response. I wondered why I was so shattered all of the time and keep getting headaches. Have you experienced the same? I thought when I was put on insulin this would improve. Maybe I'm just worn down and drained from the past week and all of the hospital appointments and trying to adjust..

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i only developed type 1 diabetes 6 weeks ago, with no warning. advice i can give you is to chase up the dietition nurse and get in on a carb counting course, that really helped me alot, lets you take control of your life. and there are also lots of folks of all ages on here all willing to pass on information, just feel free to ask doesn't matter how trivial it seems

Reactions: 3 people

Sophie94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks spikethaker. I hope I didn't come across that I didn't want to speak to people of all ages in my above post. I appreciate your response. I will look into getting into a carb counting course, I have purchased the book "carbs and cals" which is really helpful and I guess just adjusting to insulin dependent life. I think the hardest thing to get my head around is this time last week I was care free ( I spent 3 months at the beginning of this year travelling Asia and oz) now it seems a huge obstacle has been thrown at me. I guess life has some ways of testing us hey!!

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi mo thanks for your response. I wondered why I was so shattered all of the time and keep getting headaches. Have you experienced the same? I thought when I was put on insulin this would improve. Maybe I'm just worn down and drained from the past week and all of the hospital appointments and trying to adjust..

It takes a while for your body to adapt. It also takes a while to sort your head out lol It's quite a shock !

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thats ok sophie94, no problem. it is quite daunting at first, and you keep thinking you'll mess it up, but stick with it. try different things out as exercise and work also have a bearing on your blood sugars, and also have orange juice cartons or jelly babies to hand.........don't forget, this is not the end of your life, its just the start of a more refined 1

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sophie. I'm 24 and it's been about 8 weeks since diagnosis myself now. It is a lot to take in and I completely understand what you mean about a carefree life, but gradually everything becomes second nature, testing my BG before bed is embedded into my routine now as much as cleaning my teeth is.

If you use a smartphone I can highly recommend the MySugr app, I use it to record my levels and carbs eaten and it really helps me.

Try not to worry too much at the moment if you are getting high readings, these will get better and you will start to understand your body more.

Hope this has helped!

diabeticdancer

Hi

I found that I was still getting headaches until after about 1 month on insulin. Don't worry, they will go away as long as you keep the levels at bay :)

I'm 25 and not long diagnosed myself so I know how you feel. Hope you feel better soon.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks spikethaker. I hope I didn't come across that I didn't want to speak to people of all ages in my above post. I appreciate your response. I will look into getting into a carb counting course, I have purchased the book "carbs and cals" which is really helpful and I guess just adjusting to insulin dependent life. I think the hardest thing to get my head around is this time last week I was care free ( I spent 3 months at the beginning of this year travelling Asia and oz) now it seems a huge obstacle has been thrown at me. I guess life has some ways of testing us hey!!

Hey Sophie - I know what you mean about a care free life !! The key to freedom is in fact knowledge - knowledge is power with type 1, the more you know the more carefree you can become as it all becomes second nature - I am doing a parachute jump this August in aid of JDRF (shamelessly promoting my sponsorship for Juvenile Diabetes again !) but would of never thought this possible when I was diagnosed to start with, thought my life would stop, it hasn't and in fact it has spurred me on more to do more.

It takes a while for your body to adjust, remember you have probably been living with type 1 for a while - so your body will take a while to get better, just tread carefully and look after yourself - we are all here to help ;)

Reactions: 3 people