new job

lindap

obI have a job interview later in week for a Course Administrator at a University and I am in 2 minds to discuss my diabetes, well controlled Type 1 had for 28 years. In my current job I never mentioned and regretted it only becaus I could not talk about it. Previous job I only mentioned after a few years and was feeling the same, somehow guilty? But I still did not want many people to know, why?
I really want ths job and have ticked the relevant health questionnaire question but emphasised the 'Diabetes' bit as did not want them to think was HIV positive or epileptic? Again don't know why? Can someone out there analize this for me as driving me crazy. :? :?

C

catherinecherub

Re: job interview

Hi lindap.
Perhaps it is your perception of how other people will react as they are not educated about diabetes. Your experience, managing the condition for 28 years successfully, can only be a positive message and one that will do a lot for fellow sufferers. It is difficult for non diabetics to understand as the media give such narrow, stereotypical portraits.
If you are asked to explain about it at the interview then you have all the tools necessary and, in my opinion, will be admired for being able to be the best person for the job, not the diabetic who is applying.
Good luck , go for it!!
Catherine.

johnar

I can only comment from limited experience as ive only had type 1 for about 8 months, but I've really found that no one in my work place really cares about it. I eat my lunch at my desk usually and test regularly so its not something I could ever really hide I suppose!
If you do your job like anyone else then I don't think it even really registers with people.
Hope that makes sense =]

lindap

Catherine and John I really appreciate your replies I am worrying, I know!
I have forgotten how helpful fellow peeps can be on this site. i am going to sign in more often as I have loads of experience. Just live with it and be thankful you havn't got another ghastly condition. Its not so bad.
I'll let you know if I get the job?

Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I wouldn't bring it up a interview unless asked a specific health question. The current publicity about diabetes, has prejudiced a lot of people. Note the The thread about the "disease fat old people get".
If you get the job, then you can slowly let your colleagues know.

scottishkate

Hello :D

I'm also a type one and I have never mentioned my diabetes in an interview - why would I? It doesn't affect my ability to do my job (I also work in University administration).

Neither will it be brought up at interview - the interview panel aren't privy to the health info you provide in the application form in case it prejudices a decision (they aren't allowed to ask you anything health related either - it's against the law).

If you get offered the job you may get a phone call from the health company that the uni use to perform a health check if you stated you had diabetes on your application form but this is nothing to worry about and is of benefit to you as all they want to do is see if you have any requirements that your new employer will have to help you with (e.g. regular breaks, privacy to inject whatever).

When I started my current job I just mentioned to my manger on the first day that I was diabetic and that I'd need time off for hospital appointments from time to time and not to worry if he saw me drinking lucozade! He didn't bat an eyelid. No fuss.

So the bottom line is don't worry - there is really no need.

GOOD LUCK

Katie.

lindap

Katie

I had a very good interview and did not mention diabetes, I am expecting a job offer tomorrow as they have been chasing my present employer for references etc. thank you for advice I have not had to do that previously but sounds perfect, everyone is happy. I always mention to my colleagues like you day on the first day and all Ok as I never have sickness days. I really want this job and know I will be really good at it. Thanks again for advice I do get feelings of on my own occasionally when feeling less confident, I will let you know. Linda

scottishkate

Hi Linda,

Glad to hear it went well - fingers crossed and do let us know if you get it!

Take care,

Kate :D

lindap

Kate
I am so happy i GOT THE jOB!! They did state I would be sent a medical form for completion and it was to do with occupational health, but they didn't mention my diabetes. So, as you said this was how University deal with staff with medical needs and just cover themselves. Your advice did help me to be prepared and I felt comfortable how it was handled. Apparently there was about 120 applications for the job, no competition then!
:D

Thanks again

Linda

saz1

Congrats Linda for the job! I think being diabetic is much a state of mind too. If you make it into an issue, it will be for others too and as you have proven with your good control, it is no issue for you! I agree with you as having diabetes isn't the worst thing in the world...

lindap

How about this for a coincidence - started job everything great except one colleague has just returned to work after 5 months sick leave - guess what? Type 1 for a long time. Now they really love me!! I'm so glad I didn't mention at interview cos I would definitely not have got the job. Maybe I can change their perception of Type 1 diabetics!! healthy ones.

kipper

This is good to read. I start a new job on Monday and they don't know about my Type1 yet.

It was all out in the open at my last employer because I was diagnosed whilst still working there.

I was wondering about the best way to tell them.

I can't wait to start. I was made redundant in November last year and have been on JSA for the last 5 months. :oops:

lindap

Hi Kipper

I know what you are going through and great news about the new job!
I too had the same problem last job all knew now faced with telling everyone. I have a very god occupational health dept and they contacted me prior to commencing the job because I had declared a disability on the application form - the part that is confidential and interviewees do not see. When I went to see them I xplained I was well controlled and never been a problem.
On my first day I discovered one colleague has MS and has had months off sick and as mentioned previously another colleague is Type1 and has had months off sick too. I have not mentioned to my Manager yet as don't see very often but sort of feel a bit scared as she is going to think 'Oh no not another one'!
Just try and mention in passing on your 1st day if you can do that and it becomes easier.
Let me know how you get on - good luck.

kipper

I started my new job on Monday.

I told my Manager about my type 1 diabetes as soon as I got chance. Just a quick explanation that I take insulin twice a day, once at breakfast and once at tea time and assured her that it doesn't effect my work and I've never had a day off because of it since diagnosed, but thought she should know.

She was fine with it, and didn't seem concerned one little bit. :wink:

lindap

All good then, I'm glad for you.
I too have honestly never had a day off sick due to my diabetes in 28 years. I think it can be too easy to use it as an excuse and that just gets you down. It has never stopped me doing anything but I do sometimes get fed up with it!
Good luck with your job, I love mine.