Taking your pump abroad and to festivals

sophiebowness1

Hi just looking for some advice really I've never travelled aboard or to any festivals while attached to my insulin pump,and well this year I'm gonna be giving them both a try, so I'm just looking for tips regarding airports, time difference, where to put my pump while by the pool/beaches
Thanks x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
  • Which pump do you use Sophie? The Animas and Accu-Chek are both watertight (up to around 5 metres), so you may not have to leave it by the pool afterall!
When travelling abroad and to festivals with a pump you need:
  1. Lots of spares: cartridges, tubing and cannula, etc - plus don't forget the batteries and plenty of insulin!
  2. Emergency backup (in the event of pump failure) - this may be your pre-pump set up, such as insulin pen and cartridges. Your DSN should advise.
  3. Pump supplier contact details - for emergencies, such as failure or breakage. Some suppliers may provide you with a secondary one on a temporary basis - check with them.
  4. Letters of confirmation about your diabetes and treatment methods from your hospital / GP (it has to be letterheaded).
  5. Insurance cover for your pump (you should be able to take out an additional premium on home / contents insurance for UK travel, but may need something extra for foreign travel).
  6. Lots of glucose - if your control is wavy, estimate one pack per day of travel.
  7. EHIC (formerly the E111 card) for travel to the EU.
  8. Medical ID - there are plenty of 'trendy' wrist bands onthe market, but I also use MedicAlert http://www.medic-alert.co.uk/ because they can hold really valuable information about your treatment that foreign professionals can access should the need arise.
  9. ...To pack your supplies and spares in at least two separate pieces of luggage - neither of which can go in the cargo hold of an aircraft (temperatures fall way below zero) and make sure its packed securely and labelled!
  10. If you're going to a hot country, look at insulin wallets and cool bags, such as those by Frio: http://www.friouk.com/shop.aspx
Erm... I think that's about it :wideyed:

Otherwise, lots of morning after survival packs (paracetamol, dioralyte, etc) :yuck:... and just enjoy yourself :cool:

Reactions: 2 people

Hebe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For airports you have to be careful about putting your pump through luggage x ray as it can damage it.I was advised to just keep my pump on through metal detector and if it beeps ( May or May not) then just tell them you have an insulin pump before they search you and they are normally fine. They may ask to see it but you shouldn't have to disconnect it.
I suggest having your gp letter on you incase they need to see it.
Hope at least a bit helpful :)

Reactions: 2 people

youone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi just looking for some advice really I've never travelled aboard or to any festivals while attached to my insulin pump,and well this year I'm gonna be giving them both a try, so I'm just looking for tips regarding airports, time difference, where to put my pump while by the pool/beaches
Thanks x

Hi some great advice being given
I would just add do some research on plane travel wearing a insulin pump
Some PWD have had unexpected BG highs at landing due to air bubbles been formed in the tubing due to the air pressure change at take off
You know the feeling your ears pop
I traveled in march with slightly high BG but that was stress I'm not a good flyer

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
For airports you have to be careful about putting your pump through luggage x ray as it can damage it.I was advised to just keep my pump on through metal detector and if it beeps ( May or May not) then just tell them you have an insulin pump before they search you and they are normally fine. They may ask to see it but you shouldn't have to disconnect it.

Good suggestion... also, watch out for the grumpy airport security (especially at Heathrow).

I suggest having your gp letter on you incase they need to see it.
GP's may no longer provide the service - if not, contact your Diabetes Nurse.

Dzialo

Hi, I just wore my pump through out the whole security check had no problems. Regarding to the equipment you'll have to take there are some airlines that give you an extra suitcase (not that you'll need it). I better wouldn't risk putting the pump next to water and try to keep it on you all the time and you can ask you for a 2nd pump incase the first 1 gets broken.
Have fun and Enjoy!!!!!!!

youone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi some great advice being given
I would just add do some research on plane travel wearing a insulin pump
Some PWD have had unexpected BG highs at landing due to air bubbles been formed in the tubing due to the air pressure change at take off
You know the feeling your ears pop
I traveled in march with slightly high BG but that was stress I'm not a good flyer
http://asweetlife.org/feature/what-you-should-know-about-flying-with-an-insulin-pump/
Found this but no way could I find anything from a pump site to back it up.
Just for information and your safety