I don't think I have diabetes - Are my readings good?

dco

I purchased a blood sugar monitor to keep check of my levels.. im not diabetic (that i know of), but keen to keep tabs on my health, probably a little on the obsessive side :)
Anyway, i've kept track of my readings over 6 months or so.. a couple were high, the rest look ok to me? Anything to worry about?

5.1 morning
6.6 eaten
4.8 -
8.9 - 1 hour after eating (high) ?
9.3 - after eating sugar on porridge (high) ?
8.4 - 2/3* hours after eating (high) ?
7.7 - 3/4* hours after eating porridge*?
7.3 - 4 hours?
5.1 - after waking up
4.8 - before food
10.7 - 1 hour after food (high) ?
6.7 - 2 hours after food
6.7 1.5 hours after coffee

6.2 mmol - 11:30 pm - 2 hours after meal *
5.8 mmol - 2am - - 2 hours after toast
6.3 mmol - 20 mins after eating
4.5 - 15:45 pm - 10 hours no food
4.8 mmol - waking up after sleep
6.2 mmol 5am - 1-2 hours after eating
5.2 mmol - 1 hour after coffee
5.6 nmol - 2 hours after fish and chips
A couple of the readings were high, is this anything to be concerned about? I suffer from anxiety and depression and stuff ( dont have meds) and went doc while ago for bloodtest which tested for various diff things and it came back clear they said.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Those readings look fine. It's normal for anyone to have a rise in BG levels after eating. If diabetic, these readings are higher and can remain elevated for longer. Yours are getting back in range within 2 hours. It's good to be concerned with your health but I'd save your money on these test strips if I were you. Take care, Mo

Reactions: 4 people

dco

Those readings look fine. It's normal for anyone to have a rise in BG levels after eating. If diabetic, these readings are higher and can remain elevated for longer. Yours are getting back in range within 2 hours. It's good to be concerned with your health but I'd save your money on these test strips if I were you. Take care, Mo
Thanks for your speedy reply. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, they look good. If you are worried perhaps test once a month or so?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have started off in the pre diabetic stage but got it back under control before it progressed. The main thing to do is reinforce what you are doing and don't let up.

Early morning readings should be enough, before breakfast. Keep them below 6.0. If you start to daily exercise, they will go down further.

dco

Everytime I've checked in the morning before I eat they seem fine. The only high readings i've noticed were an hour or so after eating and i think that was a sugary meal like porridge? Not sure if the type of food you eat effets the reading and soda too? Should I keep checking my readings or not bother?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge is notorious for causing BG spikes in diabetics so it's interesting that it appears to do the same thing to non-diabetics. Really makes you wonder why it's being pushed as a "superfood" and now they're selling vast amounts of oat fortified milk drinks, etc. Maybe there is a conspiracy after all?

Reactions: 7 people

dco

I ordered some more strips just to see what the readings are with me after an hour with less sugary foods to see if I spike quickly with all types of foods or if its just certain foods that do it. My morning sugar tests always seem fine, never noticed a high reading in morning. What if my readings are always high and hour or less after eating?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you were diabetic, I would normally recommend you initially test on the following schedule to see what your "peak" BG reading is: 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, and 120 minutes (as recommended here: http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com.au/2010/03/smbg-doctor-who-understands.html). The link also explains a bit more about SMBG (self-monitoring blood glucose).

The dangers of diabetic complications are only worrisome for people who spend a lot of time above 7.8 mmol. The Blood Sugar 101 site is an excellent resource for anyone wishing to know more about BG and diabetes. This link explains more about healthy BG levels: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php

The foods that impact BG most are sugar and starchy carbohydrates, especially of the highly refined variety. This link gives a pretty good idea of the foods diabetics and those wishing to lose weight are wise to avoid: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Personally I think Western society as a whole would be better off following that kind of diet to avoid most modern illnesses, but I know some won't agree with me.

Best wishes,

Reactions: 7 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, unless you've got money to throw away! I don't understand why you were testing in the first place.

If you are concerned see your doctor.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I purchased a blood sugar monitor to keep check of my levels.. im not diabetic (that i know of), but keen to keep tabs on my health, probably a little on the obsessive side :)
Anyway, i've kept track of my readings over 6 months or so.. a couple were high, the rest look ok to me? Anything to worry about?

5.1 morning
6.6 eaten
4.8 -
8.9 - 1 hour after eating (high) ?
9.3 - after eating sugar on porridge (high) ?
8.4 - 2/3* hours after eating (high) ?
7.7 - 3/4* hours after eating porridge*?
7.3 - 4 hours?
5.1 - after waking up
4.8 - before food
10.7 - 1 hour after food (high) ?
6.7 - 2 hours after food
6.7 1.5 hours after coffee

6.2 mmol - 11:30 pm - 2 hours after meal *
5.8 mmol - 2am - - 2 hours after toast
6.3 mmol - 20 mins after eating
4.5 - 15:45 pm - 10 hours no food
4.8 mmol - waking up after sleep
6.2 mmol 5am - 1-2 hours after eating
5.2 mmol - 1 hour after coffee
5.6 nmol - 2 hours after fish and chips
A couple of the readings were high, is this anything to be concerned about? I suffer from anxiety and depression and stuff ( dont have meds) and went doc while ago for bloodtest which tested for various diff things and it came back clear they said.

Hi,

My experience of testing a "norm" went like this..

A couple of months back, Pre evening meal I tested myself prior to injecting.. (I'm type 1)
My wife unusually said "do me".. Out of character for me, I agreed.. She weighed in at 5.5..
About an hour after lunch sat on the sofa I grab my meter.. It's kept on our coffee table amongst the melee of laptop/tablets, wallet, phones, remote, injection pens, European adaptors & utility bills... Lol sounds idyllic..
After my test, (about 6.6?) my wife asked "I wonder what mine is now"? So doing a second test on her which shows up as 7.5.. This is reasonable for a "norm" (hence my non D term.) but I could see the cogs turning in my wife's head... Bear in mind that she saw her reading higher than mine post meal...
I could also see a destroyed bag of chocolate covered raisins lurking behind her opened laptop which I knew she had justified as a "desert".... ;)

My point is, some of the highs that you appear to have recovered from could be due to V high carby/sugared food stuffs or drink accompaniments ?
A more accurate food diary for these high anomalies might explain this... But on the whole, I wouldn't complain about those figures either!

I'd stick my neck out & say your a "norm"... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 83869

Those readings are good! to us 9.5 isn't really that high as for some people that is there target range!! so do not worry! :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I get a 9.5 I panic! (Type 2) :eek:
I'm the same. I try to below 7.8 as much as I can and anything above makes me very nervous, since I know that usually means even longer till I get down to a lower level. Anything over 10 will usually get me out and walking or doing some kind of physical activity.

Reactions: 2 people

dco

So you all think it's not worth keep checking? You think my readings are fine? I might do a few more just for the fun of it as i've purchased some tabs. I did have a bloost test at the doctors a while ago which tested for a bunch of things incl diabetes and it came back fine they said.. but my readings are always fine in the morning.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS guidelines for levels are as follows:

Non-diabetic fasting and before meals 4 to 5.9, 2hrs after meals under 7.8.
Type 2 diabetics fasting and before meals 4 to 7, 2hrs after meals under 8.5.

However these are generous guidelines and possibly out of line with current thinking. If you are worried I would ask for the diabetic diagnositic blood test called an HbA1c, which gives an average reading over the previous 2 to 3 months.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Your readings are very good, don't worry about a spike 1h after sugary meal :)

If you're concerned you can ask your doctor for hba1c test - it tests average blood glucose in the past 3 months ( more or less) and if that's in normal range then you're all good! Since you mentioned that you had some diabetes tests done, I'm guessing that was it :)

If you really want to test, you can check your morning bg every now and then.

It's nice to know that non-diabetic people get interested in their bg!

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
To me anything over 5.5 mmol is not good .If I had a reading of > 10 mmol I would have a hissy fit.

It is not only prolonged elevated sugars that result in diabetic related complications but also repeated blood sugar spikes (over 7.7 mmol or 140 mg/dl).

dco

I had chicken and vegetables 1 and half hour ago, then I went on the treadmil for 10 mins. Just come off and checked my sugar levels and it's 3.8. Is that good or too low? And does doing treadmil make it go lower?