What a shock !!

K

koukla

Good morning everyone.

I've been very quiet these last few weeks after being diagnosed and then getting lots of help from members here. I don't think I've been doing badly at all (Type 2 no medication), however for some reason, for the first time this morning, I forgot to do my waking glucose levels and immediately made my coffee. After drinking it (skimmed milk and sweeteners) I was shocked and horrified that my reading was 9.1 where in a morning it ranges between 5.8 to 7.8.

Are these figures bad and in particular, the one I've just taken after my coffee, I so don't want to go onto medication.

Many thanks for any help and advice out there.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
After reading this, I tested after my coffee, no sugar and it was 8.5? That's at least 2 up on a normal first thing reading for me? I'm diet only T2 so I don't test every morning, but is this rise due to coffee?

K

koukla

After reading this, I tested after my coffee, no sugar and it was 8.5? That's at least 2 up on a normal first thing reading for me? I'm diet only T2 so I don't test every morning, but is this rise due to coffee?
I've no idea what it's due to because I was stupid enough to forget to test before coffee. I am diet only but I fear it's not working and as I said in my post, I don't want to go onto medication. It's upset me greatly but maybe I'm over sensitive because I'm frightened of this illness....condition. Surely coffee with no sugar and just a splash of milk can't be responsible for this? I'm scared and not afraid to admit it !!!

Last edited:

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
I also do not want to go on meds, in fact, I will refuse if they want to put me on them. I've just posted on another thread to do with statins and I'm going to stop taking that too. We shouldn't have to live our lives in fear. It's good to get the info on what spikes us, then we know what to avoid, but I honestly didn't think coffee could have that effect. Maybe coffee's off the menu too now? Someone in the know will be along shortly to advise. Have a good day Koukla, and don't stress, it won't help. xx

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

I also do not want to go on meds, in fact, I will refuse if they want to put me on them. I've just posted on another thread to do with statins and I'm going to stop taking that too. We shouldn't have to live our lives in fear. It's good to get the info on what spikes us, then we know what to avoid, but I honestly didn't think coffee could have that effect. Maybe coffee's off the menu too now? Someone in the know will be along shortly to advise. Have a good day Koukla, and don't stress, it won't help. xx
Thank you so much.

jackedison

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good morning everyone.

I've been very quiet these last few weeks after being diagnosed and then getting lots of help from members here. I don't think I've been doing badly at all (Type 2 no medication), however for some reason, for the first time this morning, I forgot to do my waking glucose levels and immediately made my coffee. After drinking it (skimmed milk and sweeteners) I was shocked and horrified that my reading was 9.1 where in a morning it ranges between 5.8 to 7.8.

Are these figures bad and in particular, the one I've just taken after my coffee, I so don't want to go onto medication.

The coffee you drank..is responsible for improper functioning of insulin,however it has no effect on the sugar levels.Normally coffee upto 2 cups a day does show an effect on the sugar levels in the blood.

K

koukla

The coffee you drank..is responsible for improper functioning of insulin,however it has no effect on the sugar levels.Normally coffee upto 2 cups a day does show an effect on the sugar levels in the blood.
It DOES show? Am I better to drink tea and maybe just cut milk out altogether?

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I cut out caffeine altogether at it was causing spikes.Drop the milk as it contains lactose which is a sugar, or try soya / almond / coconut milk. Try decaffeinated tea / coffee or herbal tea such as ginger / Camille etc

K

koukla

I cut out caffeine altogether at it was causing spikes.Drop the milk as it contains lactose which is a sugar, or try soya / almond / coconut milk. Try decaffeinated tea / coffee or herbal tea such as ginger / Camille etc
Thank you. I'll do that then though it seems there's becoming less and less of what I can't eat. I'm becoming a rabbit food eater. Oh how I hate it !! Then I find that coffee is supposed to be good at both preventing Diabetes and controlling blood glucose levels. The confusion is....as they say....."Doing my head in" and the whole situation is completely ruining my life !

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Because of the various elements in coffee, a small spike should be expected. 8 is not that bad.
My last appointment with the dietician said I have to limit my consumption of black tea no sugar, no milk, because of the amount of caffeine.

Just cut down the amount and experiment how you like your cuppa.

C

catherinecherub

Good morning everyone.

Hi,

As you don't know what your reading was before the coffee there is little point in blaming the coffee. Your fasting blood glucose may have been higher this morning. Sometimes there is no rhythm or reason for a rogue reading. It is much better to eat something with your coffee to get a better picture.
Another query, how long after the coffee did you test?

Try not to look for something that may not be there and accept that perfection with diabetes is very rare. You will end up causing yourself stress which will push your blood sugars up. You could eat and drink the same meals and beverages at the same time every day for a week and still get different readings.

Reactions: 6 people
K

koukla

Because of the various elements in coffee, a small spike should be expected. 8 is not that bad.
My last appointment with the dietician said I have to limit my consumption of black tea no sugar, no milk, because of the amount of caffeine.

Just cut down the amount and experiment how you like your cuppa.
It was 9.1 and I only have that one coffee per day. The rest of the time I drink water. I'm losing weight rapidly because I'm trying to keep my levels low but I can't continue like this. It's no good. I live a very quiet life and always have but this is truly ridiculous.

K

koukla

Hi,

As you don't know what your reading was before the coffee there is little point in blaming the coffee. Your fasting blood glucose may have been higher this morning. Sometimes there is no rhythm or reason for a rogue reading. It is much better to eat something with your coffee to get a better picture.
Another query, how long after the coffee did you test?

Try not to look for something that may not be there and accept that perfection with diabetes is very rare. You will end up causing yourself stress which will push your blood sugars up. You could eat and drink the same meals and beverages at the same time every day for a week and still get different readings.
Hi and thank you. I did my blood immediately after my coffee because I was horrified that I'd forgotten it upon getting up. There would appear to be no rhyme nor reason to the results I'm getting. So fed up !!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can't comment on the effect of coffee but small things can trigger a short-term change in the metabolism. I wouldn't worry about it or stop the coffee. To continue to avoid medication you must control or continue to control the carbs; particularly if you are overweight and insulin resistant. If you are not overweight you may have deteriorating islet cells and, I'm afraid, will need medication at some future point. Are you overweight?

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also read that coffee was fine with diabetes, but have just tested and the 7.4 reading is my highest ever since I got my meter a few weeks ago, even though I am taking it with double cream and sweetener and it still doesn't taste right. I'll have to try decaff and get my husband to slap me awake!

K

koukla

Hi. I can't comment on the effect of coffee but small things can trigger a short-term change in the metabolism. I wouldn't worry about it or stop the coffee. To continue to avoid medication you must control or continue to control the carbs; particularly if you are overweight and insulin resistant. If you are not overweight you may have deteriorating islet cells and, I'm afraid, will need medication at some future point. Are you overweight?
I've lost 21lbs and another 15lbs to go to normal BMI so not really overweight. I've cut out all carbs apart from those I get from broccoli and other vegetables. I don't have breakfast and indeed don't eat until evening. I'm living on a diet of one meal a day which is in the evening and is typically a very plain salad, no dressings or a casserole containing chicken breast, canned tomatoes and green lentils and that's it !! I'm doing it and I'm sticking to it but it's so boring.

C

catherinecherub

I've lost 21lbs and another 15lbs to go to normal BMI so not really overweight. I've cut out all carbs apart from those I get from broccoli and other vegetables. I don't have breakfast and indeed don't eat until evening. I'm living on a diet of one meal a day which is in the evening and is typically a very plain salad, no dressings or a casserole containing chicken breast, canned tomatoes and green lentils and that's it !! I'm doing it and I'm sticking to it but it's so boring.

If this is how you are going to manage your diabetes then you will soon get fed up with it and revert back to eating foods that are not diabetic friendly. You have to find an eating plan that you can sustain and enjoy. If you are bored already then it does not bode well for the future.
Are you only eating one meal a day in the hope that you get things under control? You can eat three meals a day and manage your diabetes.
Tell us what you like to eat and we will try and make suggestions.

Reactions: 7 people
K

koukla

I also read that coffee was fine with diabetes, but have just tested and the 7.4 reading is my highest ever since I got my meter a few weeks ago, even though I am taking it with double cream and sweetener and it still doesn't taste right. I'll have to try decaff and get my husband to slap me awake!
If this is how you are going to manage your diabetes then you will soon get fed up with it and revert back to eating foods that are not diabetic friendly. You have to find an eating plan that you can sustain and enjoy. If you are bored already then it does not bode well for the future.
Are you only eating one meal a day in the hope that you get things under control? You can eat three meals a day and manage your diabetes.
Tell us what you like to eat and we will try and make suggestions.
I've never been a big eater but I do like sweet things. I have nothing sweet at all now though. Eating just in an evening isn't a problem for me. It's just that I can't seem to get decent levels whatever I do. I do like eggs but I've been told by the diabetic nurse to only have 2 a week so I just stick to eating as I described earlier. My GP said that I was bound to develop diabetes at some point because I have other auto immune conditions. :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Unless you have other conditions that are protein sensitive then I can't understand why you can't have more eggs per week? I wonder if your nurse is following the NHS low-fat regime? Unless you have specific conditions where fat is ill-advised there is no reason why you can't have a sensible level of fat and the cholesterol in eggs is not same thing as blood cholesterol. I agree with Catherine that you need to find foods that aren't boring. From what you say I suspect you may need to move onto meds in the future. Metformin SR (Slow Release) is a good safe drug and helps a bit so don't worry about that. Hopefully you won't ever need to go onto insulin but if you do you will not find it a real problem; just a bit of a nuisance but then you can eat very freely!

K

koukla

Hi. Unless you have other conditions that are protein sensitive then I can't understand why you can't have more eggs per week? I wonder if your nurse is following the NHS low-fat regime? Unless you have specific conditions where fat is ill-advised there is no reason why you can't have a sensible level of fat and the cholesterol in eggs is not same thing as blood cholesterol. I agree with Catherine that you need to find foods that aren't boring. From what you say I suspect you may need to move onto meds in the future. Metformin SR (Slow Release) is a good safe drug and helps a bit so don't worry about that. Hopefully you won't ever need to go onto insulin but if you do you will not find it a real problem; just a bit of a nuisance but then you can eat very freely!
Thank you Daibell. I have Pernicious Anaemia which is treated by a 3 weekly injection and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It was on the Desmond Course that they recommended no more than 2 eggs per week. They also said you MUST have a little carbohydrate with each meal. Why??....is what I asked myself. Why can't I get my energy from protein? They said that's not good for diabetics. So now, I have no sugar and no carbs apart from the bit I get from vegetables and my splash of milk in a morning. I don't want medication because I don't want the hypos and the hypers. I really am frightened about the whole thing and I'm already on so much medication that I don't want more if I can avoid it.