Why would anyone go to A&E with just high bg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand that people should go to A&E if and only if they are genuinely ill
The only problem being that there is no way to tell if you are "genuinely ill" without seeing a doctor first.

Reactions: 5 people

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DKA is more a symptom of Type 1 diabetes because insulin is not produced in sufficient amounts to enable the sugar in the blood to enter the cells. I don't know the ins and outs of Type 2 diabetes but I do know that anyone with persistent high blood sugar will, over time, suffer life-threatening complications.

It may be that you have not been diabetic long enough to experience complicarions but time will tell if you carry on with your "i'm right and everyone else is wrong" attitude.

At the end of the day every one of us is going to die. We are only here for a short time so I don't want to sit around moaning on about illness. I will never get obsessed with diabetes or any sickness that may come to me. I just keep a stiff upper lip and get on with the show. Is that a bad attitude?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I started on drug treatment Ive had my meter say 'ketones?' with a high reading.

So if I see something like that it means I could have DKA and I could die?

What are your 'hi' readings and how long does the reading stay high?

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are your 'hi' readings and how long does the reading stay high?
My blood sugar readings were 30+ and the meter simply sometimes said 'hi - ketones?'. It was like this for a very long time. Throughout any given day my lowest reading would never be below 30. When I joined this website my first question was what does 'hi' mean!

It's now controlled as i am on medication, but the idea of ever going into A&E never entered my mind.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weren't you alarmed that they were that high? My eyes get fuzzy if my BG's are over 8.5

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the end of the day every one of us is going to die. We are only here for a short time so I don't want to sit around moaning on about illness. I will never get obsessed with diabetes or any sickness that may come to me. I just keep a stiff upper lip and get on with the show. Is that a bad attitude?

The lady I told you about was out and about doing her usual daily activities on the day she died.

With your blatant disregard to controlling your condition the Grim Reaper will knock at your door sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 3 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
The lady I told you about was out and about doing her usual daily activities on the day she died.

With your blatant disregard to controlling your condition the Grim Reaper will knock at your door sooner rather than later.

That's if ne0h is actually diabetic! He/she/it questioned whether I was earlier on this thread! Funny old world at times! Hey Ho!

Reactions: 2 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar readings were 30+ and the meter simply sometimes said 'hi - ketones?'. It was like this for a very long time. Throughout any given day my lowest reading would never be below 30. When I joined this website my first question was what does 'hi' mean!

It's now controlled as i am on medication, but the idea of ever going into A&E never entered my mind.

So are your readings now within an acceptable range?

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weren't you alarmed that they were that high? My eyes get fuzzy if my BG's are over 8.5
I did not know what a normal reading was so I did not know that my bg was high. I just remember feeling a bit weird for a long time.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So are your readings now within an acceptable range?
Right now around 12-15. I had a 20 point drop when i started on metformin. The Dr told me that my aim should now be to get my bg below 10 so I still have some work to do.

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's if ne0h is actually diabetic! He/she/it questioned whether I was earlier on this thread! Funny old world at times! Hey Ho!
That's right paulie - your always right aren't you? Are you a Dr?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right now around 12-15. I had a 20 point drop when i started on metformin. The Dr told me that my aim should now be to get my bg below 10 so I still have some work to do.

Below 10 is a good number to work towards. When that has been achieved the next target is 5 - 7.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
That's right paulie - your always right aren't you? Are you a Dr?

LOL!! No-ones used the name Paulie in regards to me in over 2 years! Deja vu me thinks!-Hmmmmm....I reckon we've crossed swords before somewhere but I post all over the net with the same name-I'm guessing you don't!

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I just sit here and pretend in my own mind that I have diabetes.

It is that some of your posts regarding your diet and the way you believe that certain things are au fait.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.