Help with Insulin

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Need to know something. I have to inject myself during lunch at work. The doctor told me I need to keep my insulin refrigerated as it will spoil. Finding it really hard as we don't have a fridge at office... Any advice on what I can do here?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get wallets keeps it cool

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Crimson. Do you have any idea where I can purchase that from? Do you maybe have a picture of it?

Thanks for your reply

Callen Naidoo

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they're called frio wallets

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Frio wallets yes, but if you using a pen for your insulin requirements- when in use it doesn't need refridgeration... So unless you are suffering from forgetfulness or working away from home, why would you need spares at work?
Sorry, i had pens and injections for 28 years and worked away, only coming home at weekends..i never asked anybody, whether hotels, 3rd partt distribution centres or anybody ever to keep space for me in a fridge for my insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Donnelly.

I been taking insulin for about 5 years now. I always assume that you need to refrigerate the insulin. I only found out after posting this question that you only need to keep unused insulin pens in the fridge.

Callen Naidoo

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I saw somewhere that "in use" insulin pens can be kept at around 16 - 25 degrees Celsius, but that at 27C they will lose their potency by 14%, but that is if it has been at 27C for the full 4 weeks, and at 29C it's 18%.
Use the wallets if your going to be above 25C, otherwise don't worry, only keep unused in the fridge.

Reactions: 2 people

1103andrewb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being single after losing my wife to cancer last year xxx
I was told that I need to refrigerate my stock of insulin in the fridge, but when I take a new pen or cartridge out it has a shelf life of 28 days out of the fridge, if I have not used it all after the 28 days (like that would ever happen) it has to be disposed of, and start to use a new one.

Reactions: 2 people

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw somewhere that "in use" insulin pens can be kept at around 16 - 25 degrees Celsius, but that at 27C they will lose their potency by 14%, but that is if it has been at 27C for the full 4 weeks, and at 29C it's 18%.
Use the wallets if your going to be above 25C, otherwise don't worry, only keep unused in the fridge.

I checked on the manufacturers website, advised about the same information. I always kept it in the fridge, that's what my Doctor told me to do... Guess I learnt something new from this forum:).

Callen Naidoo

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that I need to refrigerate my stock of insulin in the fridge, but when I take a new pen or cartridge out it has a shelf life of 28 days out of the fridge, if I have not used it all after the 28 days (like that would ever happen) it has to be disposed of, and start to use a new one.
What insulin are you on? They say on the fast acting insulin(Apidra) I can keep it for 28 days out of the fridge and the long acting insulin(Humulin N) can be kept for 14 days.

Callen Naidoo

1103andrewb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being single after losing my wife to cancer last year xxx
Hi, Andrew here. I have Humulin I, this I inject at 18 units at night before bed. I also have Humulin S, which I inject up to 4 times a day depending on my blood sugar levels. both are kept in my fridge until I need them, once out of the fridge I am told the shelf life is 28 days. xx

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Andrew here. I have Humulin I, this I inject at 18 units at night before bed. I also have Humulin S, which I inject up to 4 times a day depending on my blood sugar levels. both are kept in my fridge until I need them, once out of the fridge I am told the shelf life is 28 days. xx
Wow Andrew, and I'm complaining about poking myself 4 times a day... How's your glucose levels thou? I used to take Humulin 30/70: 30 units in the morning and 30 units at night with 2 pills of diaglucide twice a day... My levels was really high, always been double digits... Was really depressed about this... Doctor changed my medication from Tuesday... Taking Humulin N 40 units at night... And Aprida 20 units after each meal. Hopefully all works out for me... I'm stressing that I'm so young and my levels are super high.

Callen Naidoo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's one of the Novodisk pens with cartridges such as Levemir and Novorapid then once out of the fridge and in use it should NOT be stored in the fridge and used within 28 days at room temp. Before use it should be stored in the fridge below 8deg C. It's all explained in the leaflet that comes with the cartridges.

Reactions: 6 people