Insulin reduced to nothing.

loudmatthew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic since February this year. I started taking 15 units of lanctus and roughly 1:15g of humalog. Over the first few weeks the basal insulin has been reduced to 12u and the humalog was changed to 1:20g. I was still getting lows in between meals and have stopped taking any humalog insulin altogether. I have continued to take the lanctus. My bg has stayed below 12 the entire time and I'm still getting the odd low between meals.

Is this the honeymoon period I've been reading about?

All very confusing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it seems that you are still making some insulin.
You should see how excercise brings your blood sugar levels down. If that works well for you, you may even be able to stop taking background insulin.
When I first got diagnosed, I only took levemir once a day for about 1 year.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi loudmatthew!

Yes, probably honeymoon. You're also possibly not full Type 1 but LADA - which means a very slow onset and progression - I still produce some of my own insulin after 5 years. Whichever, your insulin needs will increase again after a while - possibly suddenly if Type 1 or gradually if LADA. Keep a close eye on your levels and increase doses as needed.

When I was first diagnosed, I ended up taking 1 unit of basal every two days. Pay close attention to those after food spikes, because if you have LADA you might have strong basal insulin of your own but not have enough first phase insulin to deal with eating - your 12s suggest this is the case - if so, you might want to stop the Levemir for a while and use a unit or two of Humalog for your meals. Obviously discuss with your medical team first.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

loudmatthew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doc says I am honeymooning and have managed to ween myself off the insulin altogether for the moment. Although not sure when the needles will be back just keeping an eye on the bg levels. Don't think it will be long.

diabeticdancer

What was your blood glucose on diagnosis?

I am currently in honeymoon period and taking less than 5 units of basal and bolus combined. Still experiencing hypo on this amount so gonna reduce it further today.

loudmatthew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey DD

my BG on diagnosis was 33. After starting the basal of 12 units a day and bolus of 1/15. After a month or so I was having a hypo everyday. Changed bolus to 1/20. Same thing happened. Changed to 1/25 same thing.

Stopped taking the bolus and keep taking the basal and I was still going low into the early 3's.

I'm not taking any insulin at the moment which is working, although my levels are creeping back up slowly which may suggest my honeymoon may be coming to an end.

diabeticdancer

Are you just eating the same as you normally would or have you been dieting. Must be nice to be free from injections for a little while?

Mine was 33 too and was put on similar amounts in the beginning but had come way down.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with a BG of 29, initially as a type 2. After starting type 2 meds (metaformin/glipizide) I managed for over a year with good BG and nearly came off all meds. Then things took a turn for the worse and my BG gradually rose and I ended up on basal insulin after another year. At that point they tested for type 1 and hey presto my diagnosis changed to slow onset type 1 (LADA) and novorapid was added. In all, I had a 2 year honeymoon (1 year of good BG and 1 year of slipping BG levels, then very very bad BG). It was nice to live in ignorance for a bit, but insulin was a blessing when I came to need it.

Reactions: 3 people