Worried about high blood sugar levels

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if anyone would be good enough to look at the attached PDF and give me constructive criticism on it.
It is the last 5 days fairly comprehensively showing my levels and what I have eaten. I started it as I an feeling constantly fatigued just lately and thought it may be my sugar levels. After a few days I thought it might be the weetabix that was causing the high levels so today changed to muesli for breakfast but as you can se a couple of hours later it still seems too high to me.
I am considering trying to get to see the diabetic nurse at the surgery but my last Hba1c (about 3 weeks ago) was very good according to her, I don't know what the actual level was but she said I was doing very well as far as control went but personally I feel the figures on the attached do not support that idea.
I realise I am asking a lot but I would be very grateful for any comments.

T2 - Metformin 2x500gm at breakfast and 2x500gm at teatime - gliclazide 2x80gm at breakfast and 2x80gm at teatime = Humulin I 28 units at 16.00 daily

Attachments

• diary.pdf
    52.7 KB · Views: 647

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I don't know anything about insulin as I am on diet & exercise only. However, from your diary I am astounded at the amount of carbs you are eating. There is an awful lot of bread, potatoes, pastry and cereals in almost every meal. It was eating that kind of diet that put many of us type 2's over the threshold in the first place. I would suggest you seriously re-think what you are eating. All carbs turn to sugar once digested. There are very few people on this forum who could cope with even one slice of bread!.

I'm sure someone on insulin will be along shortly with some advice.

What was your HbA1c by the way?

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I agree with Bluetit - I am not on insulin but am on Metformin but could not dream of eating that amount of carbs. On a really bad day I might treat myself to a small slice of toast or half a scone (with butter only) but certainly not that amount in one day.
Perhaps it is different with insulin?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posters that you having very high level of carbs. Many of us try to stay below 200gm/day of carbs and typically less than that. I suspect you may be above 300gm or more which is not good for a diabetic. I would certainly try to modify both the type of food and portion sizes. If you do this I suspect your blood sugar levels will come way down to near normal levels. You do need to ask the nurse for your actual HBa1C reading. I suspect it's much higher than it should be according to the NICE Diabetes Pathway (Google it). Many in the NHS set very loose targets and wrongly outside of the NICE guidelines.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it helps, of the 'non-sugary' breakfast cereals, I found Weetabix spiked my BG very badly (only Rice Crispies were worse), and that's possibly counter-intuitive for most people. There was I, thinking I'm being a healthy eater - daily ration of roughage, too - and I'm skyrocketing my BG just after I get up. That used to make me feel woozy around 9-10 am - and bring on the brain fog, sweatiness, et al

The amount of sugar in muesli (especially the 'high-end' brands) came as a shock too.

More generally, I agree completely with reducing the carbs from the high levels I think you're eating ATM, if you want to reduce BG.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I agree with others, way too many carbs, I am on insulin and can tolerate a treat of maybe bread or chips or something once or twice a week but never anymore. As soon as I stopped having bread, potatoes and less processed food my levels came right down, maybe have some protein for breakfast, eat more veg / greens etc,I have to exercise a lot to keep my HbA1c at a level I'm happy with (last one few weeks ago 6.5mmol, up from 6 previous)
I make sure I have all my info from my nurse, I get her to print out all my levels and whatever they got results for, she always questions why, and I simply say so I can keep a running record. You are the one they are serving so to speak, you are the customer, so demand to know it all, as an example I have requested to reduce my Metformin from 4 a day to 2, she was adamant that I shouldn't, and maybe she is right but I want to try it, re- test bloods in 3 months time to see if ok, I also wanted to know my HDL & LDL on Cholesterol test, again she was adamant that as I'm on insulin I cannot have a fasting blood test, managed to get her to change her mind because I want to know, you have got to push your healthcare team to think out of the box so to speak!!
I hope your levels come down, which they should from a small change in your daily diet, get your results from the nurse, I'd phone her up and ask today rather than waiting till next test. and the best of luck with your regime.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm no expert but for the amount and type of medication you are on your levels do seem on the high side

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for your response Bluetit I am very grateful

Oh dear, I thought I was eating OK so will have to think again - I am sure I was told that 2 slices of bread at lunchtime would be fine by the dietician I saw, and I try to limit the number of potatoes I eat as well. Obviously not managing it very well though.

The nurse never tells me what my HbA1c is, just says I am doing well or not so well; I will start asking her what it is from next time I see her.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for all your comments. I have taken on board that I need to look at the food I am eating and spent a lot of yesterday looking on line for suggestions but I found them very generalised and maybe I am not looking in the right places but for instance I am finding it hard to find what to have instead of my normal sandwich at lunchtime; I could have a salad or maybe an omelette I guess but it would be so helpful if you could tell me what sort of lunches you all eat.
I do also have a fair bit of meat or fish at teatime, but is breadcrumbed fish bad and can you not have just a couple of small potatoes with it?
As I said before I have changed to muesli for breakfast but apparently that is not too good either, what do you all eat?
It seems all very confusing and made more so by a wife who likes things in black and white eg 'Are you eating bread or not, yes or no?'
Any urls for a sensible diet would be welcome as well ra\ther than just generalised ones, I know I should be able to find them but it is certainly proving more difficult than I thought.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
For b/fast past month I have been having a protein shake, lunch is typically salad ( mixed greens etc ) with some skinless chicken and a hard boiled egg, another protein shake, dinner hopefully something the misses has made, stir fried broccoli with garlic and some oyster sauce (coconut oil for frying)
Currently I'm having lots of protein as I have started a training regime with my work colleague, we have turned our tea room into a gym, treadmill, rowing machine, multi gym, and weight bench and going full on everyday, got aches in places I didn't know could ache!!
Just eat relatively sensible, and test with meter, if I have a treat then I know it's extra work next day in gym :)
I used to have a sandwich every lunchtime, as soon as I cut that out, levels came down, chok dee!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! Quite a few of us here do LCHF: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I eat normal food, like meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, butter, nuts, cheese. I just don't eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes or if I do a very small helping.

Instead I make a salad with lots of olive oil, or cauliflower rice, or celeriac mash with butter. This way I keep my bg normal without medication.

As you are on insulin and gliclazide you need to keep a close watch indeed on your bg if you decide to go low carb. I know of people who has had to come off insulin immediately when starting LCHF. Test, test and test.

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have time read through the success stories, I learnt lot from there since it is practical advice from people who have successfully controlling their their BS levels. You cant bring BS down eating carb, There are lot of ideas what to eat from the low carb recipe heading here.
I am on LCHF currently because I wanted to loose weight but will introduce carb gradually with exercise.
Good luck, you come to the right place to get advise.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat weetabix for breakfast at the moment (have run our of my ready brek) but I only eat one with 1/4 pint of milk and no sugar. Are you having sugar on it. It does contain quite a lot of carbs per biscuit and it isn't very sustaining and that is probably why you are having 3. For lunch I eat only one slice of bread not 2 (or is it 4?). I fill up on raw carrot, nuts and berries. Nuts are very nutritious and keep you feeling full for a long time. Try one scope of vanilla ice cream instead of a whole cornetto.

I hope the museli will be much better for you than weetabix. You really need to consider what you are eating. I would be scared to eat all of that.

As totto stated if you cut down the amount of carbs you eat you will need to look watch for hypos from your medication. Good luck with whatever you decide and we are here to stand with you to provide assistance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what the others have largely said, and suggest you look at your carb intake.

On an upside, I bet you would see an improvement just by giving up the snacks and desserts. Flapjack, apple pie, cornetto and biscuits won't be helping. It's probably not enough to bring your levels right down, but it would demonstrate the power of reducing carbs, whilst you get your act together.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanbks again to you all, loads there to think about. Hopefully I can report some success later on!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 no medication

I have a full fat plain Greek yogurt with a handful of raspberries or strawberries thrown in for breakfast. Others on here have a fry up (eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes). One of two seem to be able to manage porridge. Lunch I have something on toast (one slice of seeded wholemeal bread), perhaps 2 poached eggs or the low sugar baked beans but only 100g. I would have cheese but I don't like it. Twice a week I have a 100g tin of red salmon with cherry tomatoes, onions, mayonnaise, boiled egg and one slice seeded bread, and sometimes I have a fry up as mentioned before, with one slice of seeded toast.

I personally can manage 2 boiled new potatoes (Jersey Royals in season) or 3 pieces of potato roasted in duck fat or 6 home made deep fried chips (in rapeseed oil), but no more than that or I spike far too much for too long. I can also manage 1 slice of wholemeal heavily seeded bread but 2 slices I cannot cope with. You need to test before eating and 1 and 2 hours after eating until you can calculate what you can cope with. If you find you spike, cut down the portion and replace with something non carb from protein or fat next time then test again. It is all trial and error, we all make mistakes and fall off the wagon sometimes, but the general rule is eat to your meter.

I can't manage pastry at all, but do have a very small amount occasionally.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting as pastry is the only thing that still sends me up to eight at one hour when I eat the same amount. Just think that is its job. Will test my wife at some point and see if the same effect happens

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with everything said here.

Don't get disheartened because I think you will go for it and succeed. You have gone to a lot of trouble by logging your activity. All you have to do now is make some important changes to your diet.

Breakfasts already mentioned by others are great. If you want bread may I suggest burgen soya and linseed bread? It's much lower in carbs than most others. I have one slice in any one day but not necessarily every day. You can do a lot to one slice of toast: add: scrambled egg; mushrooms; sardines; tuna; cheese. At lunch times, I noticed you had a salad one day - add cheese or tuna or boiled egg. I sometimes have 2 small falafel with mine too.
If you don't have time to boil eggs, buy a big jar of pickled eggs. I never thought of them but my mum and dad had bought some and they were good.

I also eat lots of nuts: almonds; Brazils; walnuts; hazel nuts.

The list of foods you can eat is endless you just have to be a little creative. If your wife wants things in black and white as you say, it may be worth sitting together and creating some menus.

A word about the nurse and her comments. I remember what my nurse said to me when she gave me the meter I asked for. She said I should aim to get readings under 10. I aimed for under 7 and now I try to aim for under 6, nearer the 5 if I can.

I tried soya flour in a flatbread today. Quite nice and it's quite low carb.

Think of your diet as an adventure.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Peacetrain.

This morning I took my bloods on rising it was 6.9, I had a bowl of muesli and a cup of tea for breakfast and checked again 2 hours later it was 12.8.

This seems too much of a rise to me, or can you comment, or even tell me what an acceptable rise 2 hours after eating is?