Byetta 10

david parkman

Carol, hi i shall have a similar problem to yours in that my current pen will run out a few days before i come home from Spain so will need to take an unset pen with me so would be interested to know what you found out about coolers

siddywest

Dennis,

Have been reading up about Byetta and it sounds absolutely perfect for me. Do you know whether it is difficult or costly to get it prescribed or is it being prescribed by most GP's?

Michelle

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Michelle,

Its only been licenced in the UK for 10 months and, as yet, is not widely known amongst the GPs. It is mostly prescribed by consultants. Cost to the NHS is £68 per pen (a pen lasts for 30 days so one pen equates to a month's treatment). On private prescription it costs around £92 to £105 per pen. You could suggest it to your GP, but GPs generally don't like to prescribe something they are not familiar with. Obviously you will need to be very careful how you approach your GP about it - they don't like to be told by a patient what they should be prescribing - any more than you would appreciate a GP telling you how to do your job. If your GP won't play ball you could always ask if you could be referred to a consultant (an NHS one unless you have private health cover).

david parkman

Dennis / Siddy cat - Well its almost a week and all going quite well it does seem to do what it says on the can. I cant say ive had any hunger pangs - did have an attack of boredom snack but a dose of will power stopped it ( after a struggle ). The other thing is that i am now a couple of pounds lighter in just the week. Chuffed or what!! Also none of my Blood tests has been higher than 7.4.

God bless Gila Monsters :)

siddywest

My bs are struggling all seem over 8 at least and up to 16. Have contacted my Diabetic nurse and asked about Byetta and she i now referring me to the Consultant so fingers crossed. Could do with losing a few pounds and would love to get my bs in the normal range.
Will keep you informed.

Michelle.

martinbuchan

Saw my diabetologist again yesterday. He is impressed with Byetta (no experience of Sitagliptin yet). He knows I want it but wont stray from guidlines as yet. He knows there a quite a few Americans on insulin and byetta but I have to wait for the published studies to come out. I spend (on the nash) about £1000 per year on Levemir alone. Far more than the cost of byetta. I haven't probed about paying for it myself yet......I will always be on insulin however.

Really glad some of you are getting it. Hope all the horrible side effects wear off quickly. Again, Dennis has been such a great contributor and help.

Marty B

david parkman

It seems to me to be a no - brainer, Most type 2 have a prob with weight of one kind or another. So if you find a way of getting wieght off it must surely help. Having watched the threads on who is getting what i find it unsettling to learn that fellow sufferers are not only fighting the diabetes but also their local health authority.

As regards Byetta itself havnt had the nausea etc but did have very very mild headache after the 2nd shot but it didnt last very long. I can only hope that the benefits become available for more of you.

Dave P

Silvercat

Still getting nausea with the 10mcg dose but its erratic and not after every dose. Sat down to eat dinner last night and immediately got nausea...couldn't eat a thing. Did manage to force down a couple of mouthfuls of chicken so I had eaten something. This nausea seems to strike very randomly. I have tried eating at different time intervals after injecting but it doesnt make any difference. Hopefully it will go away soon.

shavals

Hi Silvercat

I am on my 2nd Pen of Byetta 10 and at last my nausea has ceased. It has taken longer than I expected but I followed Dennis' advice and injected myself just before eating so didn't have such a long gap. Like you it used to arrive even before I'd eaten. I blame some of it on my age, I am in the middle of my "hot flushes" age and do find my readings can be higher when I am flushing.

On the good side I have now lost 1/2 stone since being on this medication.

Pauline Jones

david parkman

This might seem like a question i should have asked earlier but how do you all dispose of the empty pens ? Noone at the Clinic mentioned it. I have a sharps box coming this week - another part of the learning curve.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi David,

The empty pens I put in the normal household rubbish, pen needles in sharps bin, tester needles in sharps bin, test strips in normal rubbish. Now whether that is what I should be doing might be another thing entirely . . . . .

david parkman

Thanks dennis, it was a casual comment at my induction appointment that put me onto getting a sharps bin but as said before didnt occur about disposing of the pen :) oops!!!

Silvercat

Went to see my diabetic nurse at the hospital this morning so I could finally collect my blood glucose meter. We did a test while I was there and was extremely pleased with the result of 6.0 taken at about 2 hours after breakfast. First test I have had since starting Byetta about 5 weeks ago when my reading was then 14.4. Looks like Byetta is working well on me. Just need to shake off this nausea now.

david parkman

Hi silvercat, I always test first thing simply because of working for an agency so dont have regular hours.
When i started Byetta a week ago 7.1, by wednesday it was 6.4 and today 5.6 - something good must be going on. Luckily im not getting the nausea but am taking the jab imediatly before meal.

Silvercat

I dont seem to get the nausea every time. It's very transient and eating right before a meal hasnt seemed to make any difference as to whether I get it or not. Just hoping it wears off.

Silvercat

Ooops meant to write injecting. Trying to do too many things at once.
Not taking anything the wrong way either lol. I think this is a great site for sharing experiences and getting advice.

shavals

Hi Dennis

just had my first hbiac (thinks thats the word) result back since going onto Byetta (nearly 3 months) it was 6.7. My finger tests are now under usually under 6.5 unless I have stressful days, usually Mondays at work when they hit between 8 - 9, also I have now lost 1/2 stone since going on to Byetta. I go to see my Consultant on Monday so hopefully all will be well.

Chocolate is still my biggest "miss" and when I do have some its dark choc. For my birthday this month I am having some Thorntons (my favourine) Dark Chocolate Mix, my hubby and I have 2 per day until the box is gone. Cakes don't bother me anymore, haven't had one in a long time.

Hope you are keeping well.

Pauline Jones

david parkman

Silver - its the reason i washed up here, that and going onto Byetta seems like i was given another go with a fair chance of success. I didnt drink much before but the Budget helped finish it, so with all the other changes and getting a lot more useful info here who knows !!
David