Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
GOULASH

My favourite is Goulash I make mine with mince instead of chunks of Beef because Hubby is fussy with Meat.
500g Minced Steak
1 large onion
Large tin chopped Tomato
2 teaspoons Oragano
1 sachet of Shwartz Paprika
Salt and Pepper
Soften the onion in Olive oil, Add the rest of the ingredients.
Add some water, not too much just so you can stir it freely.
Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for Half an hour.
Thicken with cornflour . 2 or 3 Tablespoons (wont hurt) with all that meat and veg,
Don't use Gravy Granules you will change the taste and still add carbs
Best made the day before so the herbs and spices become more intense.
Serve with Rice or Quinoa, Baked Potato or Chips if you are allowed.
Garlic bread or Chappati . Sprinkle with Chedder.
I usually make some bread, Nothing like hot Bread to dip in.
This makes 4-5 good portions or Double up for freezing.

:greedy:Or make a veggy version swapping the meat for any veg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

alliece

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Pasta sauce
1 yellow pepper de-seeded and cut up finely
1 med onion, finely chopped
few slices of Danish salami, cut into slivers
little olive oil
crushed clove of garlic
1 courgette, cut up fine( quartered lengthways, then sliced.)
can chopped tomatoes
knob of butter
seasoning.
Heavy bottomed pan
Method
Fry onion and pepper in olive oil. Don't allow to brown Add garlic when nearly done( don't burn the garlic!)
Add salami slivers cook for a bit and add tomatoes.
Now simmer gently foe about 5 minutes until flavours develop and blend. Taste,then Season with salt and if it needs it, a little sweetener.
When done, add a knob of butter
Serve with Dream fields pasta.

brdavies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Veggie Scrambled Eggs
Makes 2 serves, don't eat them both!

1/2 cup chopped raw onions (large chunks)
1/2 cup chopped capsicum, any colour (large chunks)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (large chunks)
1/2 cup chopped cooked lean chicken
3 deli slices hard salami, chopped finely
3 eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil, or butter
Dash of italian herbs

Using the olive oil, fry the onions, capsicum, mushrooms, chicken and salami in a fry pan over a low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Sprinkle the italian herbs on this at the beginning so they are cooked too. Mix frequently with a spatula.
Turn the heat up to high, then add the three eggs. Mix constantly until the eggs are well mixed with the veggies and cooked. Don't overcook; as soon as the eggs are nearly congealed turn off the heat and let the residual heat do the rest. Divide into two serves. I always have this sprinkled with Tabasco sauce.

This is an extremely delicious breakfast, very low carb, leaving a bit of room for you to add some, like half to one slice of low-GI toast if your plan includes that. It will seem to be more veggies than eggs, but the different tastes really come out that way. The chicken can come from your roast chicken the night before.

Per serving: 320 calories, 9 grams carbs, 20 grams fats, 25 grams protein, about 400mg sodium.

gizmo girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Recipes.

Lemony lamb chops
Frozen ones from Lidl are a great buy
defrost and put in a single layer onto the bottom of a casserole dish ( I use a slow cooker)
Sprinkle with chopped mint add a little salt.
Drizzle lemon juice over.
Cook from cold Slowly until the top of the meat browns. Hours.
seve with veggies of your choice and possibly a couple of babay new potatoes, which can be scrubbed and put in on top og meat for last half hour cooking.
Meat will fall off bone and the lemon juice and lambfat will combine to make a tasty sauce.
Carbs: Non except in the accompaniments
this is "well done" I don't like my meat pink
This is one to start off before you go out shopping on a Saturday the actual time doesn't matter.
sorry probably being my usual blonde self, but doesn't the lamb burn being left in slow cooker with no liquid?? this sounds great tho xx

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spicy Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:
3 tomatoes, skinned.
Olive oil.
Canned Chickpeas, drained.
Garlic powder
Hot chilli powder
Mediterranean style herbs eg basil, oregano etc.
Handful of sweetcorn
White cabbage, raw
1 stick of celery
Water

Method:
Chop the skinned tomatoes into fairly small cubes.

Heat about 1 tablespoon of Olive oil in a saucepan and fry tomatoes until the cubes break down into a "mush" type of consistency.
Start adding the powders. I love garlic, so I put a heaped teaspoon of the garlic powder in.

Same goes for the chili powder for me - I put a heaped teaspoon of chili powder in.

Season with freshly milled black pepper, and I buy a "chili & garlic" grinder from B&M, so a good grind of that. It also contains salt and is just enough to season the sauce.

Add the sweetcorn - I use frozen sweetcorn, and the temperature of the sauce defrosts the kernels, so no need to pre-cook them.

Stir the sauce all up and add to the drained chickpeas.

Leave to cool and add the cabbage which is shredded and the celery which is chopped finely.

Cool down the finished salad in the fridge and serve.

Chickpeas are quite low on the glycemic load chart, and I ate half of the salad the other day, tested my BS an hour later, and it hadn't raised my blood sugar at all.
:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
image.jpg
TANDOORI CHICKEN
This will make 3-4 servings depending how you like your portions I split it by 3

Ingredients:

Small carton natural yogurt
Juice of 1/2 lemon juice
1/2 an onion minced or very finely sliced
4 bulbs garlic minced or you can use garlic powder about tablespoon
2inch piece of minced ginger or you can used ground ginger again about tablespoon
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon garam masala
2-3 tablespoons paprika
1-2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried coriander leaf
11/2 teaspoon ceyenne pepper this makes it quite hot and spicy - adjust all the dried spices to your own taste
Teaspoon of sea salt
6 large boneless and skinless chicken thighs used whole or you can cut them smaller, you can use chicken breasts but I find them a bit dry

Mix everything but the chicken together in a glass bowl.
Add your chicken and marinate overnight in the fridge stirring occasionally
Take chicken out of the marinade and either grill under a hot grill for 5 mins each side or until cooked through thoroughly. Or place on a rack over a baking tray and cook in the oven on about 200 for 25-30 mins or till cooked

This won't be the bright red that you get in the Indian as they tend to add food colouring, you can add a couple of drops of red colouring to the marinade if you like but I prefer the more natural colour

Serve with whatever you prefer I make the cauliflower bhajee

CAULIFLOWER BHAJEE

I never make this the same way twice, I just use the spices I have in at the time, as long as it's spicy and curried it's lovely

1 large cauliflower cut into florets,
you can use frozen but I find it a bit wet, if you do defrost it first and pat it with some kitchen paper to remove some of the moisture
1 thinly sliced onion
1Teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of corriander seeds or ground corriander
1 teaspoon of ground cummin
1 tablespoon of garam masala
1/2 finely diced chilli or teaspoon of chilli powder
1 tablespoon of turmeric
Any other spices you fancy really
Salt and pepper to taste

Using whatever you like to use for frying,fry the fennel seeds,corriander seeds and diced chilli if you use them for about a minute, add the onion and cauliflower and fry for about 5 minutes, you want to get some charring on the cauliflower.

Mix the remaining spices with about 50ml of warm water to make a paste, add this to the pan and mix in to coat all the cauliflower. You can add more water if you feel it's a bit dry but don't make it too wet

At this stage you can add a couple of chopped tomatoes, or peas, I used some parboiled green beans in this pic as I had them in the fridge.

Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked, I keep a bite in my cauliflower cause I like the texture.

I added a very small amount about a tablespoon of creme fresh because serving it with the tandoori I wanted a wetter bhajee but that's personal choice

Put into a glass dish and put into a hot oven for about 10 minutes to get a crispy top

And that's it! It's easy to do and it can all be prepared and reheated in the oven just make sure it's thouroughy heated through

gizmo girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 6472 TANDOORI CHICKEN
This will make 3-4 servings depending how you like your portions I split it by 3

Ingredients:

Juice of 1/2 lemon juice
2inch piece of minced ginger or you can used ground ginger again about tablespoon
1 tablespoon turmeric
2-3 tablespoons paprika
1-2 teaspoon cumin
11/2 teaspoon ceyenne pepper this makes it quite hot and spicy - adjust all the dried spices to your own taste
Teaspoon of sea salt
6 large boneless and skinless chicken thighs used whole or you can cut them smaller, you can use chicken breasts but I find them a bit dry

Take chicken out of the marinade and either grill under a hot grill for 5 mins each side or until cooked through thoroughly. Or place on a rack over a baking tray and cook in the oven on about 200 for 25-30 mins or till cooked

This won't be the bright red that you get in the Indian as they tend to add food colouring, you can add a couple of drops of red colouring to the marinade if you like but I prefer the more natural colour

CAULIFLOWER BHAJEE

I never make this the same way twice, I just use the spices I have in at the time, as long as it's spicy and curried it's lovely

you can use frozen but I find it a bit wet, if you do defrost it first and pat it with some kitchen paper to remove some of the moisture
1 thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon of turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste

Using whatever you like to use for frying,fry the fennel seeds,corriander seeds and diced chilli if you use them for about a minute, add the onion and cauliflower and fry for about 5 minutes, you want to get some charring on the cauliflower.

Mix the remaining spices with about 50ml of warm water to make a paste, add this to the pan and mix in to coat all the cauliflower. You can add more water if you feel it's a bit dry but don't make it too wet

At this stage you can add a couple of chopped tomatoes, or peas, I used some parboiled green beans in this pic as I had them in the fridge.

Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked, I keep a bite in my cauliflower cause I like the texture.

I added a very small amount about a tablespoon of creme fresh because serving it with the tandoori I wanted a wetter bhajee but that's personal choice

Put into a glass dish and put into a hot oven for about 10 minutes to get a crispy top

And that's it! It's easy to do and it can all be prepared and reheated in the oven just make sure it's thouroughy heated through
Wo

Ingredients:

Juice of 1/2 lemon juice
1 tablespoon turmeric
2-3 tablespoons paprika
1-2 teaspoon cumin
Teaspoon of sea salt

CAULIFLOWER BHAJEE

1 thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon of turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow this sounds amazing. What is the cucumber dish with it in the picture???
Hi gizmo thanks for your nice comment, the cucumber salad with yoghurt and mint dressing. Cucumber cut into ribbons dressed with a little natural yoghurt mixed with a couple of teaspoons of Jok and ALS low carb mint sauce or you can use fresh mint and a little sweetener, don't add salt though until you are ready to eat it as salt will draw even more moisture from the cucumber

gizmo girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi gizmo thanks for your nice comment, the cucumber salad with yoghurt and mint dressing. Cucumber cut into ribbons dressed with a little natural yoghurt mixed with a couple of teaspoons of Jok and ALS low carb mint sauce or you can use fresh mint and a little sweetener, don't add salt though until you are ready to eat it as salt will draw even more moisture from the cucumber
Thanks sooo much tried today it was lush x

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ingredients:

Juice of 1/2 lemon juice
1 tablespoon turmeric
2-3 tablespoons paprika
1-2 teaspoon cumin
Teaspoon of sea salt

CAULIFLOWER BHAJEE

1 thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon of turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste

Thanks @lovinglife plan to try this over the weekend. x

jacqueline22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2.... 16 months ago been feeling overwhelmed ,so glad I found this site ,deffo gonna be trying some of these recipe.;0)

macnorfolk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has been recently diagnosed type 2. He has normal blood pressure, bmi and cholesterol and certainly does not need to lose weight. Can you advise me which diet to follow, low carb or the nhs. We were told to follow nhs guidelines by the diabetic nurse, he is still loosing weight on this diet. many thanks for any advise

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Ive just baked the cheesy almond bread posted by anniebea on 8th november 2013. It was fabulous!! Delicious.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a pic of the almond cheese bread. Scrumptious

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_173619.jpg
    IMG_20140825_173619.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 579

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. Ive just baked the cheesy almond bread posted by anniebea on 8th november 2013. It was fabulous!! Delicious.

Hi Mo - can you link to it? I don't fancy scrolling through all the screens.

Cheers,
Sam.

Krosagro

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My favorite dish is Spaghetti Bolognese. I use simple ingredients such as: beef mince, onion, carrot, garlic, canned chopped tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, pepper, spices for taste and dry spaghetti.

Method:

Brown the mince over a gentle heat than add all of ingredients. Next bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 – 20 minutes. Add dried mixed herbs and pepper for taste. Serve with spaghetti.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im sorry @shedges Ive just pasted
Cheese and Almond Bread
Makes 1lb loaf

10 1/2 oz ground Almonds
1tsp baking powder
2oz butter
5 1/2 ozs grated cheese
3 beaten eggs

Combine all ingredients in food processor or bowl, quite a stiff mixture place in loaf tin.
Bake at 180º 50mins
3grams carbs and 12grams protein per slice.
Also good toasted and freezes well