Bad Headaches

eastcoastphil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People obsessed with themselves and anyone who looks down at me. Take me as I am or go annoy someone else.
Hi all, a question for you please ...

I am a newbie on Metformin since Friday last week, and I've noticed that I seem to have frequent headaches which never normally suffer from, in fact I've got a belter right now and feeling pretty sick with it.

Wondered if any of you had this when you started taking your meds?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new to Metformin too, ( 3 weeks) and I'm sorry I can't really help you because I havn't had any problems with it at all. I did have diarrhoea one day, but I put that down to the fact that I had been taking a magnesium supplement for cramps, and that I no longer needed the supplement which was why it caused the diarrhoea. No headaches though. I am really making this post to bump you back onto page 1 again

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was lucky and never did have headaches from Met but did have the metallic taste. BTW the SR (Slow Release) version is much better if you have stomach issues with the standard version

col888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new too 10 -11 weeks. Had the violent headaches in the mornings, after my dosage was upped to 2x 500mgs, after breakfast 2x metformin 1 allopurinol(for Gout). 10 Mins the headache started, 2 paracetamol the headache eased after an hr or so. Ceased to have them after a week.
Still have the cramps runs etc .

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I would suffer with headaches a lot throughout my life, the gp said that they were cluster headaches. But its strange since taking the metformin two on the morning and two at tea time, I have had fewer headaches. Still its early days yet because I was only diagnosed 25/3/14. But up to now it has not had that affect on me. When the pain was bad I would normally take one 400mg ibrofen and two 500mg of paracetomol together and that would ease the pain or take it away, but that's just what I did after all iam no doc lol

eastcoastphil

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People obsessed with themselves and anyone who looks down at me. Take me as I am or go annoy someone else.
Mine are still there, but back at dtr week after next so am going to raise it nd see what he says.

Mrdoosey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been on met and glic for three weeks npw headaches all the time for me and ive only had the toms twice. I did take paracetamol but that didnt shift it, pop some ibuprofen that'll do the trick.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nowt worst when you have a headache for days and nothing you take shifts it, it just makes you feel like **** . Try the ibuprofen and paracetamols together at the same time and see if that helps, but the best bet is to see the doctor like you are going to do and see if it is the metformin.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I read in the leaflet that ibuprofen shouldn't be taken if you take metformin. I don't have access to the leaflet because I'm not at home, perhaps someone else has one. Try to keep hydrated. Aim for over the 2 litre mark.

Chrissy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I I had bad headaches for about three weeks when I started metformin. Spoke to Gp he said not a side effect !
Was told not to take ibuprofen just paracetamol. Finally settled down :)