Is 3.7 a good reading?

dco

OK I checked today, im a bit hung over and havent eaten for 18 hours, I usually have 10 cans on Friday and same on Saturday with a small amount of food, my blood sugar is 3.7 nmol. I'll have beer today as well. Is it a good reading considering I havent eaten? How does beer or alcahol effect blood sugar?

Is 3.7 good or low?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
your blood sugar isnt gonna be your problem, your liver on the other hand.....

Reactions: 9 people

dco

I'll stop checking my sugar so much as it seems ok in that case. Ill join a beer lovers forum :p

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol i dont care if you wanna drink 10 cans and not eat for 18 hours but dont waste everyones times asking about your health dude, i come from a long line of morons that drank theirselves to death including my dad, he was diabetic too, but who dosent like a drink at the weekend

Reactions: 6 people

dco

Well it's the only bad thing I do.. I quit smoking last year and I eat really well and try and do exercise every day. There's many worse things you can do to your health than enjoy some beer twice a week. But I suffer from anxiety and depression at times so I wanted to check it wasn't down to sugar levels and diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

diabeticdancer

Well it's the only bad thing I do.. I quit smoking last year and I eat really well and try and do exercise every day. There's many worse things you can do to your health than enjoy some beer twice a week. But I suffer from anxiety and depression at times so I wanted to check it wasn't down to sugar levels and diabetes.
the anxiety and depression is more likely down to the alcohol than the diabetes!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol is a toxin metabolized by the liver which prevents it from other tasks; since the liver also happens to be prime storage for glucose (in the form of glycogen) alcohol consumption can lead to low blood sugar.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
OK I checked today, im a bit hung over and havent eaten for 18 hours, I usually have 10 cans on Friday and same on Saturday with a small amount of food, my blood sugar is 3.7 nmol. I'll have beer today as well. Is it a good reading considering I havent eaten? How does beer or alcahol effect blood sugar?

Is 3.7 good or low?
That sure is an expensive way to Pee :wacky: Instead of testing your blood sugars if you are not diabetic have you ever considered a liver or brain function test?

A

AnnieC

:p Well.. who dosen't like having a drink on the weekend? :D

Having two or three is enjoying a drink 10 cans on two consecutive evenings every week is not that is excessive and will certainly not do your liver any favours diabetic or not you need to worry more about liver damage than your BS levels
Well done for quitting the smoking now work on cutting down drastically on the alcohol and you might just live a much longer life

WWood56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Those were the days. I used to drink like that, until I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver last year.

43 years old with a knackered liver and now diabetes.

It wasn't worth it.

One year, one month sober. One day at a time...

Reactions: 8 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
well if you ARE at 3.7 you are in hypo territory but for me, as a T2 on basically Diet & exercise, as it is within 10% of the 4% mark, I would let my liver dump me back up out of the situation(unless i were going to be driving!)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
3.7 for a non-diabetic is not a hypo. Your liver will sort you out as soon as it has processed all of the alcohol.