Still floundering and fed up!!

K

koukla

How can it be please, that after having a small piece of chicken in a home made broth of tomatoes and lentils at 7pm last evening, my fasting blood glucose is 6.8 this morning? I couldn't possibly try any harder than I am with my diet and I'm getting nowhere. I really don't intend to sound so down but I'm not going to pretend either to myself or others anymore......I AM down and I feel I can't continue this fight and fight is what it appears to be.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Relax and Google dawn phenomona. Metformin will help too
What are your 2hr reading

K

koukla

Relax and Google dawn phenomona. What are your 2hr reading
Hi Jack. You told me about that before when I was in shock after being diagnosed. Since then I've been to the hospital Consultant about my Underactive Thyroid and we talked about my newly diagnosed diabetes but nobody in medical circles mentions that. I'm living on nothing, truly I am and losing weight at a rate of about 2.5lbs a week, which can't be bad as I'm not far from my ideal weight now. I'm eating an unsustainable diet really. It's pathetic in its lack of variety. I just can not do this forever. I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question. My GP had asked me to test just once, fasting every morning. The Consultant has asked me to test twice each day, always on waking and then one day before lunch, next day before dinner and the next day before bed and so on and so forth. Nothing about testing after meals, of which I only have one a day anyway and that's in the evening.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Koukla oh you do sound down. Have you looked at the low carb food threads, they have a variety of recipes. It will take time to get on track and you are understandably overwhelmed by it all. :-(
Maybe if you use take little steps at a time (as the word forever is just that!) you know like( I will try this for a few days or a week and keep a diary) it might help) you will get there, it's just jiggling things around to know what you is best for you. Or go back to your DSN or GP. Fingers crossed for you I'm sure you will get there, but it does take time.
Take care with best wishes.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forever...I don't know why you are doing now.
Eat a decent diet, try and get your 2 hr under 8

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Hi chuck. Chin up. I saw someone mention a spoonful of peanut butter last thing before bed. Had it and morning after 5.5 reading?? Who knows, it's all just trial and error. We are all different and respond differently to different things. Don't make yourself ill with trying to follow a plan that dosen't suit you. I've just done that. ;) xx

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can it be please, that after having a small piece of chicken in a home made broth of tomatoes and lentils at 7pm last evening, my fasting blood glucose is 6.8 this morning? I couldn't possibly try any harder than I am with my diet and I'm getting nowhere. I really don't intend to sound so down but I'm not going to pretend either to myself or others anymore......I AM down and I feel I can't continue this fight and fight is what it appears to be.
Diet and exercise are key but try testing before and 2 hours after meals for a short while. Testing strips are expensive, I know, but a short trial might help you identify foods which spike your BG levels.

Try adding your meals to this topic to see if we can offer any advice.

In my opinion there is no rapid cure for this condition but with a little effort and belief you can get control. Use the positive support from this group, it wii help

Type 2. Was out of control till I found this forum. Low Carb and testing saved me. Glucophage 1 per day down from 4. HBa1c down to 36

K

koukla

Hi Koukla oh you do sound down. Have you looked at the low carb food threads, they have a variety of recipes. It will take time to get on track and you are understandably overwhelmed by it all. :-(
Maybe if you use take little steps at a time (as the word forever is just that!) you know like( I will try this for a few days or a week and keep a diary) it might help) you will get there, it's just jiggling things around to know what you is best for you. Or go back to your DSN or GP. Fingers crossed for you I'm sure you will get there, but it does take time.
Take care with best wishes.
I'm not eating any carbs at all as in bread, pasta rice, pastry, pies, only what occurs naturally in vegetables. I wouldn't dare touch any fruit and I love fruit. Yes, I am down and as I said, I can't pretend anymore that I'm not. My children (adults) are appalled at the way I'm eating but I don't know what else to do.

K

koukla

Hi chuck. Chin up. I saw someone mention a spoonful of peanut butter last thing before bed. Had it and morning after 5.5 reading?? Who knows, it's all just trial and error. We are all different and respond differently to different things. Don't make yourself ill with trying to follow a plan that dosen't suit you. I've just done that. ;) xx
Thank you.

K

koukla

Diet and exercise are key but try testing before and 2 hours after meals for a short while. Testing strips are expensive, I know, but a short trial might help you identify foods which spike your BG levels.

Try adding your meals to this topic to see if we can offer any advice.

In my opinion there is no rapid cure for this condition but with a little effort and belief you can get control. Use the positive support from this group, it wii help

Type 2. Was out of control till I found this forum. Low Carb and testing saved me. Glucophage 1 per day down from 4. HBa1c down to 36
Thank you for replying. Every little might help. I don't eat until evening. I might have a very basic salad (no dressings, I don't like them) with some Wild Salmon or a couple of slices of thinly sliced ham. Sometimes I have ground beef (VERY lean) with onions and mushrooms in it and have broccoli with that or I might have the chicken with tomatoes and lentils. That's the extent of my eating. I don't take any medication.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try eating more often. Three meals a day will help get your BG levels down as your system will deal better with your intake. If you are not on medication then clearly your pancreas is still producing reasonably good levels of insulin. Give it something to work on all day or your liver will dump more glucose into your system to compensate. Little and often should help.

K

koukla

Try eating more often. Three meals a day will help get your BG levels down as your system will deal better with your intake. If you are not on medication then clearly your pancreas is still producing reasonably good levels of insulin. Give it something to work on all day or your liver will dump more glucose into your system to compensate. Little and often should help.

But what to eat please?

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: berries with greek yoghurt, smoked salmon, scrambled egg, omelettes with tomato, chives and a little cheese, lean grilled bacon

Lunch: homemade soups, salads, omelettes, lean cold meats

Dinner: Lean meats with plenty of green veg,

Snacks: small portions of nuts

Reactions: 4 people
K

koukla

Breakfast: berries with greek yoghurt, smoked salmon, scrambled egg, omelettes with tomato, chives and a little cheese, lean grilled bacon

Lunch: homemade soups, salads, omelettes, lean cold meats

Dinner: Lean meats with plenty of green veg,

Snacks: small portions of nuts

Thank you so much. How do I keep a note of your suggestions? I will write it down. I'm very grateful for your help. Thank you again. Helen.

K

koukla

Hi koukla,

You were given advice in your previous thread which gives more information about you.
I was surprised that you did not continue that thread as we seemed to be getting somewhere.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-a-shock.58711/#post-549455
Yes I know and I'm very grateful for any information and grateful to everyone replying to me. To be honest, I haven't quite got to grips with where to post or where I have posted previously. I have the App on my phone and couldn't find how to post on there this morning so have resorted to my laptop. I'm trying, really I am (possibly VERY trying to some) and I'm indeed grateful. Thank you. I'm just wondering now if anyone could move this to follow on from my other thread. I've never been on a forum before so I don't know if that would be possible.

Last edited:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you have said you are eating seems ok but you need to eat these things more regularly during the day, as others have said. Milled flaxseed (linseed) is a good addition to plain yoghurt, as are blueberries. Get the myfitnesspal app on your phone. I would never have thought I would be the type to keep a food diary but this app is brilliant and it will help you keep track of calories and carbs. Burgen linseed bread is great for me. I can eat a full slice but at first I only had half a slice. I find carbs in the form of falafel are great too.

If you aren't eating during the day that could be contributing to the boredom/ depression about your diet choices.

Ground almonds is another staple for many here. I put them in omelettes, more like a pancake. I make a toad in the hole using ground almonds instead of flour. I also add a little grated mozzarella and chopped peppers (fresh or frozen). Don't forget the sausage!!

You need a new interest in life ... Food experimenting. Make it a pleasure rather than a chore and your family can become involved. Have a competition ... Who can make the best low carb meal. You could stipulate "x" amount of carbs per serving.

Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

koukla

Thank you so much for all of that. I've made one step forward in that I've managed to get onto my phone. I'll do all of the things you suggested. I suspect I'm going to have to experiment with shops too as the lowest carb bread I found was Hovis Granary Wholemeal. I can't eat the yoghurt I'm afraid. I hate yoghurt but all the other suggestions are things that I like and I love almonds. Thank you very much for your reply. My spirit, which is usually bright and bubbly seems to have taken a nosedive. It's time to get it back! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

AnnieC

Hi Jack. You told me about that before when I was in shock after being diagnosed. Since then I've been to the hospital Consultant about my Underactive Thyroid and we talked about my newly diagnosed diabetes but nobody in medical circles mentions that. I'm living on nothing, truly I am and losing weight at a rate of about 2.5lbs a week, which can't be bad as I'm not far from my ideal weight now. I'm eating an unsustainable diet really. It's pathetic in its lack of variety. I just can not do this forever. I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question. My GP had asked me to test just once, fasting every morning. The Consultant has asked me to test twice each day, always on waking and then one day before lunch, next day before dinner and the next day before bed and so on and so forth. Nothing about testing after meals, of which I only have one a day anyway and that's in the evening.

Sorry but I do not understand why you are only having one meal a day and so you must be going about 23 hours each day withouI food which is not good and certainly not for your BS levels Even if you are trying to loose weight you still need to eat a good diet low cab preferably but you can still have a good variety of food with that