meaning of sayings

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was feeling a bit off this morning and I remember my father saying" Not on top line " does anyone know where this comes from or know of other sayings that need translating ?
CAROL

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it "Top-line" is a reference to being of top class or high class, but is now used to describe how well someone is. I think it comes from early passenger ship travel, where richer people travelled in the highest cabins

A mis-quoted saying that annoys me and also comes from our sea-faring history is "bog-standard". It should be "bulk-standard", which was always used to describe a lesser quality of goods shipped in high numbers for extra profit.

A very high number of old sayings can be traced back to either shipping or farming, which is probably because they were our main employment categories and where people used to develop their own language.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to know what 'ne'er cast a clout til may is out' means.
Anybody got any ideas?

I've alwYs assumed it means don't take off your winter woollies - but I may be completely wrong!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to know what 'ne'er cast a clout til may is out' means.
Anybody got any ideas?
As I understand it clout is similar to cloth so breachclout is similar to breechcloth or in other words breeches. Ne'er cast a clout means do not remove your (warm) clothing .....until May be out.

May can often be a bit cold or even frosty.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a debate as to whether may is the month or the blossom !
Thanks for the top line answer mrburden
How about "just up your street" or" streets ahead"
CAROL

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
"Eat a portion of carbs with each meal" is one I struggle with ...

Reactions: 4 people

RazzleDazzleDavey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Heights and things that crawl
Stoopid saying, most brushes I know have at least average intelligence.

Cheap at half the price. People say that meaning they bought something cheaply, but to say something would have been cheap at half the price you paid makes it sound like it was expensive? Surely the saying should be cheap at twice the price?