Feeling Down

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I don't like myself because I always think that I somehow brought this on myself I usually don't show any emotion even when people say to me I brought it in myself I find its so annoying even people who have type 1 themselves say I brought it on myself so unfair why can't they get their facts right !!! And everyone says I ate too much sweets

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sadly their is a view held by even some HCP that if you're t2 you brought it on yourself through poor lifestyle choices. Never heard this said about t1s though. Although the levels of ignorance are quite stunning sometimes! Why is it that only 80% of diabetics are obese (what about the other 20%?) and 80% of obese people are not diabetic? Maybe you did eat too many sweets and I don't know if you're overweight or not. Regardless, as a t1 how can it be your fault?! I was very fat (16stone) and made poor lifestyle choices. Every member of my family on my mothers fathers side was diabetic - t1 and t2. Now I'm getting thinner and I eat better. Pick yourself up, work out a plan and stick with it. Sod the lot of them. Are they doctors? Probably not. Post on here too. People are lovely. Take care and good luck!

Reactions: 5 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's nothing you could've done to stop it. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition so it has nothing to do with what you did or didn't eat, or whether you did enough exercise.

Perhaps if people do say to you that it's your fault you can tell them it is autoimmune. The only way people will learn if is someone tells them they are wrong!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 9 people

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly their is a view held by even some HCP that if you're t2 you brought it on yourself through poor lifestyle choices. Never heard this said about t1s though. Although the levels of ignorance are quite stunning sometimes! Why is it that only 80% of diabetics are obese (what about the other 20%?) and 80% of obese people are not diabetic? Maybe you did eat too many sweets and I don't know if you're overweight or not. Regardless, as a t1 how can it be your fault?! I was very fat (16stone) and made poor lifestyle choices. Every member of my family on my mothers fathers side was diabetic - t1 and t2. Now I'm getting thinner and I eat better. Pick yourself up, work out a plan and stick with it. Sod the lot of them. Are they doctors? Probably not. Post on here too. People are lovely. Take care and good luck!
I am a type 1

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's nothing you could've done to stop it. Type 1 is an autoimmune condition so it has nothing to do with what you did or didn't eat, or whether you did enough exercise.

Perhaps if people do say to you that it's your fault you can tell them it is autoimmune. The only way people will learn if is someone tells them they are wrong!

Thanks a lot

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type 1

Scandichic's and Patch's good advice still stands. You've nothing to blame yourself for. If people criticise you, calmly put them straight. Get on with looking after yourself and start liking yourself more! :)

ThinOne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes I don't like myself because I always think that I somehow brought this on myself I usually don't show any emotion even when people say to me I brought it in myself I find its so annoying even people who have type 1 themselves say I brought it on myself so unfair why can't they get their facts right !!! And everyone says I ate too much sweets
Dear Twisterr, how can it be your fault?! I know how it's frustrating to talk with people who have no knowledge of your condition. Please take good care of youself, and ignore these comments, they may love you, but have lack of information. Eat as your doctor recommends for your age and condition, and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For 13 you are going to have friends who haven't a clue, so they will say silly things

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean, people used to blame my mom on the school gate for feeding me the wrong foods. This was 17 years ago and less was known about it but it is really hurtful.
When people say it to me now I turn it around and explain to them exactly what it is and what's involved and make them look dumb (because when it comes to diabetes, throughout no fault of their own they are dumb!) at least this way they won't say it to you again and maybe they'll think twice before saying it so somebody else and hurting their feelings too.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You didn't bring it on yourself so don't beat yourself up, there's many theories of the cause of type 1 diabetes but nothing concrete as yet.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Just saying it as you said that I might have ate too much sweets !!!
You misunderstand me! What I was meaning is that you might have eaten too many sweets or that you might be overweight but that is not important. What's important is that you are T1 which means that there is no element of this illness which you could or should be blamed for. T2s (ie me) get blamed for their illness as we are often told we are overweight and have a rubbish lifestyle which some people blame for our condition. Hope this now makes sense!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The next person that says you brought it on yourself I would do the following to them...
Poke your finger in their eye and tell them they brought that on them self and just walk away

Reactions: 10 people

sophsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also type 1 diabetic. I only recently in January got diagnosed. At first I thought I brought it on myself with the unhealthy eating I was doing consistently over the years, it then got explained to me that a type of virus could have set the diabetes off. So it got confirmed that meningitis that I had last year had somehow triggered diabetes. So it isn't your fault. Just ignore the people who tend to tell you that it's your own doing because half the time they get Type 1 and Type 2 mixed up

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You misunderstand me! What I was meaning is that you might have eaten too many sweets or that you might be overweight but that is not important. What's important is that you are T1 which means that there is no element of this illness which you could or should be blamed for. T2s (ie me) get blamed for their illness as we are often told we are overweight and have a rubbish lifestyle which some people blame for our condition. Hope this now makes sense!
Oh soo sorry I misunderstood you

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No need to be sorry, she's a tough old bird. LOL
How is your bg control

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good is good. Sometimes I think diabetes has a mind of Its own and I'm just along for the ride.
I'm not one, but there are some clever T1 who could answer any questions you may have

Last edited by a moderator: