Should I detach pump??

diabeticdancer

Going through honeymoon phase and having problems with hypos. Even with the basal reduced to minimum 0.025 and rarely taking bolus I am still experiencing hypos! The lowest one today was 2.6. Should I just take it off?? I have tried to contact my diabetes nurse but she is away and no one else has responded yet.

I know I could just keep eating to stay up but I'm really not keen on eating extra for the sake of it. Plus, even when I have been eating I have still been low.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going through honeymoon phase and having problems with hypos. Even with the basal reduced to minimum 0.025 and rarely taking bolus I am still experiencing hypos! The lowest one today was 2.6. Should I just take it off?? I have tried to contact my diabetes nurse but she is away and no one else has responded yet.

I know I could just keep eating to stay up but I'm really not keen on eating extra for the sake of it. Plus, even when I have been eating I have still been low.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

I do ballroom dancing and always take a reduced bolus if eating beforehand - 30% less at lunch, 20% less at dinner.

I have been told that I could probably do without the pump when dancing but I know that this wouldn't be possible on every occasion. You could try taking off the pump but test every half hour to make sure all's well.

I'm afraid it's a case of trial and error and, of course everyone is different!

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Hi

What you could do, is a tbr reduction like -10% (90%) to see if that sorts out the low bg levels or go into the basal rate menu and reduce the basals down a bit more according to what yr bg levels are doing. Ive also been going a bit on the low side myself and have been reducing the offending basals down a tiny bit and bg testing. Tomorrow, with any luck should be better, unless the weather gets colder again

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are already on minimum basal then I don't think a reduced TBR will work.

Have you tried reducing your carb ratio a lot lower? I am guessing it's the bolus doses that get you hypo. If not then you probably need to take the pump off. I would not test every half hour though! Just the normal 5-8 times a day should be fine.

diabeticdancer

If you are already on minimum basal then I don't think a reduced TBR will work.

Have you tried reducing your carb ratio a lot lower? I am guessing it's the bolus doses that get you hypo. If not then you probably need to take the pump off. I would not test every half hour though! Just the normal 5-8 times a day should be fine.

Thanks.

Yeah, I had the basal rate to the lowest and still had hypos when it said there was no insulin on board.

Gonna keep it off for the day and just test before meals I think to see what happens. I'm moving house tomorrow though so I'm not sure what to do about that. Stress may increase it but the constant activity may lower it.