Does Anyone Know The Carbohydrate Values Of Filter Coffee?

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know what the carbohydrate values of filter coffee is? That is black filter coffee without milk and sugar?

I have just started to drink filter coffee and I am noticing a tremendously large spike in my blood sugars, I can rule out any other causes. It's wierd!!! I have been correcting to bring my sugars down but again this morning a few hours after my breakfast and coffee my blood sugars were 19.3 when they are normally 7.5 and I know it is definatly the coffee as I have coffee black and without sugar.

I was so pleased with myself yesterday after discovering an easy way of making filter coffee in my electric pressure cooker, I just cooked the coffee for 3 minutes on pressure and it tastes delicious

Many thanks

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Perhaps it's the caffeine itself causing the spike? Rare,but I suppose folks react to caffeine differently.

Reactions: 2 people

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah it's wierd.
I will eat the same amount of food tomorrow that I ate today but have instant black coffee as an alternative to the Italian Filter coffee I had today and I'll let you know what happens! Incidently, I read the book, 'Think Like A Pancreas' by Garry Scheiner and he says that coffee can increase blood sugars. I have been diabetic a very long time and have never had this reaction to coffee before!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good article, but it doesn't mention the most likely cause of what you are seeing, which is that in some people (sometimes), caffeine can trigger a glycogen dump from the liver into the bloodstream, just like adrenalin does. This is because caffeine can have a similar effect on the body to adrenalin, sort of 'impersonating' adrenalin.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah it's wierd.
I will eat the same amount of food tomorrow that I ate today but have instant black coffee as an alternative to the Italian Filter coffee I had today and I'll let you know what happens! Incidently, I read the book, 'Think Like A Pancreas' by Garry Scheiner and he says that coffee can increase blood sugars. I have been diabetic a very long time and have never had this reaction to coffee before!

Drink Decaff, honestly there's no difference in taste as long as you buy a decent brand, obviously you don't get the caffeine kick.

Reactions: 4 people

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies guys.
My sugars went as high as 24.0 mmol, but fortunatly my GP has given me some antibiotics for a kidney infection and my sugars are improving. I don't get symptoms which is probably why I was blaming the high sugars on the coffee!!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drink Decaff, honestly there's no difference in taste as long as you buy a decent brand, obviously you don't get the caffeine kick.
yes there bloody is.

I have never met a decaff coffee that tastes real.

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's personal taste of course, but I find Taylor's of Harrogate water-process decaff is pretty good.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes there bloody is.

I've never drunk a decaff i have liked either...

The real thing however is a "stimulant". Part of the effect of getting the drinker "wired" is the sugar level rise..
I think these "Red Bull" type drinks cause a similar reaction, though they tend to be full of sugar anyway..!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
yes there bloody is.

I don't know Dave, I'm presently drinking Kenco Decaff and have to say it tastes great, even friends and family can't taste the difference when they pop round.

Some of the cheaper supermarkets versions are quite nasty in taste, but that said some of the cheap caffeinated coffee's are pretty dire too :)

As ever it all boils down to taste.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had some bad decaf and I've had some that is indistinguishable from good coffee apart from the "jolt". An even then a decaf often perks me up due to the life-long conditioned reflex. I guess the point is to try a few different decafs until one works for you before giving up. Clearly there is no point drinking something that tastes like ****. I don't think any of us need a forum post to tell us that. :)

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why anyone would choose to drink decaf. The whole point with coffee is caffeine, isn't it? I go through a pot of very nice, strong, organic, fair trade filter coffee every day.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't understand why anyone would choose to drink decaf. The whole point with coffee is caffeine, isn't it? I go through a pot of very nice, strong, organic, fair trade filter coffee every day.
I agree but there is also alcohol free lager out there which is even more horrific !!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go for the cheapest decent brand I can get, normally what's on offer if it's one I like.

Just picked up 3 packs of Lavazza black at £2.50 a pop. I seem to be developing a worrrying habit for about 4 double espressos a day, some diluted witth boiling water, soemtimes more.