Pump help!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even though the IOB is missing you can see it in history so you know exactly when it was given :)
I'm sure the old 2020 manual said to change the battery before a meal bolus. It only takes a couple of mins to change though even if it's a complete pain in the bumsical.
True but it means you can't rely on the IOB count in the dose wizards so you are at risk of a hypo for the next 4-5 hours if you use the dose wizard and don't override it. You would think the risk of a US lawsuit would encourage them to at least disable the correction wizard for 6 hours after a battery change. Since they are too dense to store the IOB status in the EEPROM that the pump clearly has, since it uses that EEPROM to store lots of other information that is far more complex than the IOB, and the rate and remaining time of any TBR or Combo bolus.

It's just stupid design and engineering and there is no excuse for it.

iHs

On the Accu chek Combo pump replacing the battery is no problem....just put pump in stop mode, get a penny coin, unscrew the battery cap to remove battery, put new one in and then pump asks for confirmation of battery type and that's it. The piston doesnt rewind so no need to go through the cartridge sequence.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the Accu chek Combo pump replacing the battery is no problem....just put pump in stop mode, get a penny coin, unscrew the battery cap to remove battery, put new one in and then pump asks for confirmation of battery type and that's it. The piston doesnt rewind so no need to go through the cartridge sequence.

Alright for some!

Whatever you do Sally, don't swap that Combo for a Vibe. Oh, hang on... :-/

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
When my first battery went, when I was waiting for the kids to finish school, so it was like ok right, changed it looked at the screen and their was no basal rate showing, so had to go back to that and start it again. Which I found a right pain in the backside :(. Why can't it just start the basal rate again.

Reactions: 2 people

sophsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in January. The pump has been suggested to me but the idea of having something attached to you consistently scares me. Does the pump actually hurt?

iHs

When my first battery went, when I was waiting for the kids to finish school, so it was like ok right, changed it looked at the screen and their was no basal rate showing, so had to go back to that and start it again. Which I found a right pain in the backside :(. Why can't it just start the basal rate again.

What?...........ur not joking :(( surely.. Doesn't the Vibe remember the basals? What on earth would happen if the basals weren't known, unless written down or no internet so no Diasend?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It stores them, but you have to go back to the basal menu and start them again from their, which is a pain.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've only recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in January. The pump has been suggested to me but the idea of having something attached to you consistently scares me. Does the pump actually hurt?

No the pump or canula don't hurt and after a week or so, you forget you have a pump.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Does the pump get in the way of your day to day activities or when you are sleeping?
No, I work in a special school, with Down syndrome and autistic kids, they have never touched or pulled it and you can wear pj's with pockets or use other items or let it roam round the bed.

sophsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I work in a special school, with Down syndrome and autistic kids, they have never touched or pulled it and you can wear pj's with pockets or use other items or let it roam round the bed.

Is there any chance that the pump will break frequently due to physical exercise?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is there any chance that the pump will break frequently due to physical exercise?
I've not heard of one breaking, mine looks pretty robust. But it depends on the sport, being played or the exercise?? But I can still wear my pump, while swimming and I'm about to go back to doing step classes.

Last edited by a moderator:

sophsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard of one breaking, mine looks pretty robust. But it depends on the sport, being played or the exercise?? But I can still wear my pump, while swimming and I'm about to go back to doing step classes.

Thank you, I'm a competitive swimmer so I wasn't sure whether or not the pump would be the right route to go down. Is it noticeable?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
True but it means you can't rely on the IOB count in the dose wizards so you are at risk of a hypo for the next 4-5 hours if you use the dose wizard and don't override it. You would think the risk of a US lawsuit would encourage them to at least disable the correction wizard for 6 hours after a battery change. Since they are too dense to store the IOB status in the EEPROM that the pump clearly has, since it uses that EEPROM to store lots of other information that is far more complex than the IOB, and the rate and remaining time of any TBR or Combo bolus.

It's just stupid design and engineering and there is no excuse for it.
Oh I agree the Animas leaves a lot to be desired as a pump. I used to have a Cozmo but that was pulled from the market due to Medtronic getting their knickers in a twist over some copying of one of the features can't remember which one it was. Pos was even the IOB. So Medtronic sued and Smiths medical had to pay compensation plus so many dollars per pump sold. As you can guess SM stuck their fingers up and withdrew the pump. Thus everyone is very careful on how they incorporate features in their pumps. Only people that have suffered are the users.
The Animas pump has only added a cgm to the works nothing else and it's a dreadful shame.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
What?...........ur not joking :(( surely.. Doesn't the Vibe remember the basals? What on earth would happen if the basals weren't known, unless written down or no internet so no Diasend?

All I do is replace the battery check the type of battery time and date and do a rewind. It takes all of a couple minutes if that. Yep it's a silly system esp when used to something a lot simpler. But no data is lost. If you do need to change unexpectedly and have IOB all you need to do is look at it before you change and then whilst pump is disconnected bolus that amount through again, then at least you have something to work on.

Simplest thing to do though is change the battery once the very inaccurate battery icon gets to two bars. Battery lasts about 12 weeks without a cgm.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is where intellectual property laws are totally against the public interest. One manufacturer adds a feature that's useful and frankly fairly obvious and then sues anyone else who tries to incorporate it onto their device. Net result is instead of getting a choice between 5 pumps with 5 good features and choosing based on quality, we choose between 5 pumps each with 1 good feature and 4 bad ones. :-(