Long-Standing Diabetic...Hypo Symptoms?

Kiwikiddo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody

I've joined this forum because I have a question. I might be one of the longest standing diabetics here, but I still need some information about insulin reactions also known as hypos.

I've read that those with long standing diabetes may not experience the typical symptoms of being hypo. Does anybody know if this would include sweating? I had a hypo a few hours ago and my BG dropped to 2.5. When I discovered I was so low, I thought to myself, any minute now, I'm going to start sweating like crazy, only I didn't. This has me a bit worried because the inability to sweat can be from another condition, so I wondered if the lack of sweating might be typical in long standing diabetics.

Anybody here know anything about this? I've been a Type 2 diabetic for 60 years and keep good health.

Cheers

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I've been Type 1 for 50 years and I rarely get the sweating sympton of hypos anymore. I usually just get a vague feeling of not feeling quite right and when I test find I am hypo!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I see you are on insulin, perhaps a change of insulin would help? I still have full hypo warning after 49 years on insulin using bovine insulin.
60 years is very good going though well done you :)

slimtony

I find that my reaction to a hypo can vary depending on the speed that my sugars have dropped. If it's a long slow decline (perhaps caused by overnight basal) then I don't tend to sweat. If it's a rapid drop then I'll sweat like a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm 32 years down the road and still have good hypo awareness symptoms, they include sweating but mainly a hunger feeling and the desperate need to go for a pee:(

Kiwikiddo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to you all for your replies. Lack of sweating must be just old age! LOL. I'm sure you get the drift here. I am on a low fat, low carb diet and only taking 1 or 2 units of Humalog with each meal. I took 2 units last night after my evening meal because I added a sweet biscuit to the mix. Felt a bit odd a few hours later which was when I discovered I was hypo. For anybody who is interested, I am not on any BP medication, BP is normal. Cholesterol levels are excellent. I take omega 3, I have flaxseed meal with my breakfast and I add lecithin to assist in lowering cholesterol levels. I prefer natural methods of looking after my health rather than taking drugs. I don't consider insulin to be a drug. It is simply replacing a missing hormone. I am also on a gluten free diet. There is huge amounts of info out there showing how gluten messes with our health and is a known cause of auto-immune diseases, of which diabetes is one. Yes, I know that Type 1 is an autoimmune condition and Type 2 is not, but the info suggests that gluten interferes with the uptake of insulin in insulin resistance, which is basically what they call Type 2 diabetes these days. Going gluten free does not reverse this, but at least I know it can no longer ravage my body the way it used to. I always suffered from IBS and was always told it was caused by my diabetes. Huh! Once I went gluten free, all my bowel problems disappeared. Sad to say it is what we eat that makes us ill. I could give you so many conditions that I have suffered from due to food intolerances, and not just gluten. All have resolved once I eliminated the culprit from my diet. There will be those who want to dispute this, but I've been there and know what I'm saying is true.

Best of luck in your quest for good health. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kiwikiddo,

I'm not going to dispute this.. Any level headed ideas are fine by me..! ;)
I'm a mere whipper snapper on just coming up to my 38th year.

I don't always get the sweats unless a rapid drop or certain circumstances..
I'm still hypo aware & it even wakes me up..
I find when certain simple tasks become astrophysics, that's the clue for me... Like walking into a room & forgetting why. Or the closest thing to getting "stoned" without imbibing....

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to you all for your replies. Lack of sweating must be just old age! LOL. I'm sure you get the drift here. I am on a low fat, low carb diet and only taking 1 or 2 units of Humalog with each meal. I took 2 units last night after my evening meal because I added a sweet biscuit to the mix. Felt a bit odd a few hours later which was when I discovered I was hypo. For anybody who is interested, I am not on any BP medication, BP is normal. Cholesterol levels are excellent. I take omega 3, I have flaxseed meal with my breakfast and I add lecithin to assist in lowering cholesterol levels. I prefer natural methods of looking after my health rather than taking drugs. I don't consider insulin to be a drug. It is simply replacing a missing hormone. I am also on a gluten free diet. There is huge amounts of info out there showing how gluten messes with our health and is a known cause of auto-immune diseases, of which diabetes is one. Yes, I know that Type 1 is an autoimmune condition and Type 2 is not, but the info suggests that gluten interferes with the uptake of insulin in insulin resistance, which is basically what they call Type 2 diabetes these days. Going gluten free does not reverse this, but at least I know it can no longer ravage my body the way it used to. I always suffered from IBS and was always told it was caused by my diabetes. Huh! Once I went gluten free, all my bowel problems disappeared. Sad to say it is what we eat that makes us ill. I could give you so many conditions that I have suffered from due to food intolerances, and not just gluten. All have resolved once I eliminated the culprit from my diet. There will be those who want to dispute this, but I've been there and know what I'm saying is true.

Best of luck in your quest for good health. :)

I'm certain it not my age, been over all that stuff , now I know its related to certain drugs, which ones or more to the point which vitamin am I deficient in because of them, I'm thinking low vit D, ( sweating starting in the head )
more importantly low vitamin B 12 caused by metformin, so ive decided to forget tablets and go for the b12 spray, Instanly absorbed into bloodstream, works just as well as vit b12 injections, desperate as I am very fatigued after trying to cut the grass on large garden, that was 5 days ago still feel awful, the best way to deal with problems is to listen to your body, it usually works for me,
I sorted the cramp problem by addressing low potassium levels, , , now its fatigue , oh joy

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On subject of gluten free, I had a thought that as most bread on sale is horrible I would try making it with oatmeal, and or Doves gluten and wheat free flour, if it turns out ok then I will be wheat free for the first time, may help me to lose belly fat as I haven't lost weight since I was Ill last month with a uti, i was losing 2 lb week on metformin for 4 weeks, but since not feeling right weight just hovers around the same, left wondering, when you have the cold you know what's wrong, this vague debilitating feeling is just irritating