huge conflict with dietician

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The earliest and primary proponent of an all animal-based diet was Vilhjalmur Stefansson, a Canadian explorer who lived with the Inuit for some time, and who witnessed their diet as essentially consisting of meat and fish, with very few carbohydrates - berries during the summer. Stefansson and a friend later volunteered for a one year experiment at Bellevue Hospital in New York to prove he could thrive on a diet of nothing but meat, meat fat and internal organs of animals.

His progress was closely monitored and experiments were done on his health throughout the year. At the end of the year, he did not show any symptoms of ill health; he did not develop scurvy , which many scientists had expected to manifest itself only a few months into the diet due to the lack of vitamin C in muscle meat. However, Stefansson and his partner did not eat just muscle meat - they ate fat, raw brain, raw liver (a significant source of vitamin C and others), and other varieties of offal. The no-carbohydrate and low carb diet often reverses type two diabetes.

Google this man a good read.

FB

Or you could buy the book 'Life Without Bread' from Amazon, which tells you the story. 2 men started the experiment in hospital but Stefansson's partner didn't last long as he couldn't stomach it. The book blames all the world's health problems on carbohydrates. All depends on who you choose to believe I guess.

Reactions: 2 people

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
when I went to see the DN she was happy with me being on low carbs - my bg is geneally less than 7, she wished all her patients could stay a level as me. My HbA1c was less than 5 so they suggested that I should be a bit kinder to myself !! Still can't bring myself to that yet, but I'll keep trying xx

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
First clinic appt and I'm on very low carbs.

Reduced insulin use by 2/3 since going this way.

Glucose between 5-6.

She was insistent that I needed/ to eat loads more carbs/pizza/chocolate/ice Cream!!!!!!! Just take more insulin!!

When I questioned back she had no explanation at all to back her advice up!

I asked what kind of illness/deficiency would I get from low carbs(40g less)Again no answer!

I have since emailed over studies backing up my approach although not expecting a positive response.

They are apparently very concerned over this!!!!

Madenning!!!!!

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
That is An excellent post, thank you.
I used to get all of that some years ago , but found out it is part of the Novo training plan more carbs means more Insulin sales .
Later there appeared a notice "want to eat just what you want , ask here .
It had a Novo heading .

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stick with the low carbs :) I've very recently been diagnosed and have been doing a lot of research into a healthy diet for me. I have been dieting for the past 18 months (pre diagnosis) - healthy options and low carbs works for me. I got diagnosed and the diabetic nurse told me that I need to eat carbs with every meal. I didn't want to do that though because I was scared my weight would increase... Seriously if I eat a chip I grow an extra finger!!! ;)

In my research I found out that during the time when insulin injections weren't available diabetics had a very short life span unless they stuck to the rules. The rules were basically NO carbs and NO fruit. So why are we now told to consume something that would kill us? It's bonkers!!

I'm new to all of this (3 weeks today to be precise) but I've gone against my diabetic nurse and I am yet to see my dietician so who knows what she'll say. My pre meal BG is usually between 4 and 6 (only 3 weeks ago it was 18.4!) I eat well most of the time however I did go to a cake and wine party at the weekend ;)

My current problem if any of you could help me is this..... Even though I am eating well and lots of good food I am struggling to get my calorie intake over 1000- I want it to be 1300 otherwise my body will go into starvation mode. I currently eat a lot of salad, veg(above the ground) chicken, fish, eggs and nuts. How can I increase my calories healthily without increasing my carbs and fat? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My current problem if any of you could help me is this..... Even though I am eating well and lots of good food I am struggling to get my calorie intake over 1000- I want it to be 1300 otherwise my body will go into starvation mode. I currently eat a lot of salad, veg(above the ground) chicken, fish, eggs and nuts. How can I increase my calories healthily without increasing my carbs and fat? X

Why don't you want to increase fat? It's almost impossible to maintain calories if you're avoiding both carbs and fat.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stick with the low carbs :)

You've got the right idea and a great attitude, lottie!

You could eat more protein, but best of all would be to consciously include a lot more fat in your diet. Particularly saturated fat and monounsaturated fats. These are the best dietary fats - contrary to what we were all told until recently.

Reactions: 3 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stick with the low carbs :) I've very recently been diagnosed and have been doing a lot of research into a healthy diet for me. I have been dieting for the past 18 months (pre diagnosis) - healthy options and low carbs works for me. I got diagnosed and the diabetic nurse told me that I need to eat carbs with every meal. I didn't want to do that though because I was scared my weight would increase... Seriously if I eat a chip I grow an extra finger!!! ;)

In my research I found out that during the time when insulin injections weren't available diabetics had a very short life span unless they stuck to the rules. The rules were basically NO carbs and NO fruit. So why are we now told to consume something that would kill us? It's bonkers!!

I'm new to all of this (3 weeks today to be precise) but I've gone against my diabetic nurse and I am yet to see my dietician so who knows what she'll say. My pre meal BG is usually between 4 and 6 (only 3 weeks ago it was 18.4!) I eat well most of the time however I did go to a cake and wine party at the weekend ;)

You've made a very sensible decision. The reality of carb counting is that very few people manage their diabetes well by this method. Eating fewer things that raise your sugar levels is a very practical way of managing your levels. Don't expect any of your health team to recommend it, but I don't imagine they enjoy a lot of success given that 93% of type 1s don't achieve an HbA1c of 6.5%.

With regards to increasing your calories, nuts are very calorie dense. Just 50g could increase your calories by 300kcal. As others have said, the only way to increase your cals on a low carb diet is by eating more veg, protein and fat.

Reactions: 5 people

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why don't you want to increase fat? It's almost impossible to maintain calories if you're avoiding both carbs and fat.

I'm not avoiding fat, I just feel that I eat the right amount already from things like oily fish and avacado. As I'm still trying to get my weight down (13lbs to go and I will of reached my dream weight and lost 50lbs) I don't see how that would happen if I overload on fat instead of carbs. My diet is very similar to the HFLC diet however I just don't agree with all the added fats that they put in. x

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've got the right idea and a great attitude, lottie!

You could eat more protein, but best of all would be to consciously include a lot more fat in your diet. Particularly saturated fat and monounsaturated fats. These are the best dietary fats - contrary to what we were all told until recently.

Thanks spiker :)

To be honest it's driving me round the bend thinking so much about what I'm intaking and weighing everything but I'd rather this than go blind!

What high fat foods do you eat that are good for you? The thing is, I don't really like eating empty calories I like to know its nutritious, tasty and good for me! ..... Geez I sound like an absolute bore! You wouldn't think that my life and my friends lives pretty much revolve around food!! We love to eat!!! Haha x

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've made a very sensible decision. The reality of carb counting is that very few people manage their diabetes well by this method. Eating fewer things that raise your sugar levels is a very practical way of managing your levels. Don't expect any of your health team to recommend it, but I don't imagine they enjoy a lot of success given that 93% of type 1s don't achieve an HbA1c of 6.5%.

With regards to increasing your calories, nuts are very calorie dense. Just 50g could increase your calories by 300kcal. As others have said, the only way to increase your cals on a low carb diet is by eating more veg, protein and fat.

Thankyou sam :) I suppose I am a little tight with my grams sometimes and could increase them. I eat nuts and seeds every day as a snack but I only allow myself 25g.... I could defo wak that upto 50... Almonds are my favourite <3

Have you ever tried Quinoa, I've been reading about it and apparently it's high protein low carb... But what does it taste like and how do I eat it!?! Haha x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat heaps of added fat and the fats I eat are mostly ghee, cream, coconut oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil. I'm not a huge fan of really fatty cuts of meat either. Macadamia nuts are a great source of extra fat if you like them.

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat heaps of added fat and the fats I eat are mostly ghee, cream, coconut oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil. I'm not a huge fan of really fatty cuts of meat either. Macadamia nuts are a great source of extra fat if you like them.

What's ghee? I suppose there's nothing wrong with me making a little sauce for my chicken instead of just herbs... Maybe I just need to change my outlook. It's hard because for the past 18months I've drummed it into my head not to add extra fat ( unless of course I'm out for dinner or having a chill night with the girls) However I'm sure cavemen didn't have sauces and they seemed to survive. Haha... Ill defo give macadamia nuts a try :) x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's ghee? I suppose there's nothing wrong with me making a little sauce for my chicken instead of just herbs... Maybe I just need to change my outlook. It's hard because for the past 18months I've drummed it into my head not to add extra fat ( unless of course I'm out for dinner or having a chill night with the girls) However I'm sure cavemen didn't have sauces and they seemed to survive. Haha... Ill defo give macadamia nuts a try :) x

Ghee is clarified butter and is used in Indian cooking a lot. It's a great oil for cooking - really high smoke point and doesn't "spatter" quite as much as butter does (as all the water, milk solids, etc. are removed). Doesn't go off as quickly as butter either.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks spiker :)

To be honest it's driving me round the bend thinking so much about what I'm intaking and weighing everything but I'd rather this than go blind!

What high fat foods do you eat that are good for you? The thing is, I don't really like eating empty calories I like to know its nutritious, tasty and good for me! ..... Geez I sound like an absolute bore! You wouldn't think that my life and my friends lives pretty much revolve around food!! We love to eat!!! Haha x

Let's see... olive oil on salads, nuts and seeds too; meat with the fat on; butter and cream on things or in sauces; loads of cream on low carb treats. Does any of that grab you?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose there's nothing wrong with me making a little sauce for my chicken instead of just herbs... Maybe I just need to change my outlook. It's hard because for the past 18months I've drummed it into my head not to add extra fat ( unless of course I'm out for dinner or having a chill night with the girls) However I'm sure cavemen didn't have sauces and they seemed to survive. Haha... Ill defo give macadamia nuts a try :) x

Well cavemen ate the whole animal and animals are more than 80% fat, by calories. :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Fat wont make you fat, it will only satiate you. Try avocado's, great on a chicken and bacon salad with sunflower seeds etc.

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's see... olive oil on salads, nuts and seeds too; meat with the fat on; butter and cream on things or in sauces; loads of cream on low carb treats. Does any of that grab you?

All of it grabs me but its soooo naughty!!! Haha oh well I guess this is the positive of having diabetes... Pass me that cream ;) I bought some Greek yoghurt today... Now that is really doing the trick! What are low carb treats?!? X