Room 101

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you finding particularly tricky this time around, sand?
Not sure really. I think I am in limbo because I have asked my doctor if I can have metformin now because I have been struggling. He wants me to have blood tests first, and because he is on holiday I have had to wait a couple of weeks or so. I desperately need to lose weight (several stones) and I have only managed to lose a little in the last few years, which I have mostly put on again. I am now only 7 pounds lighter than my highest ever weight. I just feel down and overwhelmed.

I know I CAN do this, I have before. It's just hard.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
C'mon sand. You can do it.
Go through your cupboards and fridge and get rid of any ****.
Shop on line so you don't weaken.
Food diary.
Have you got scales?
Post, post post!
Big hug!

Yes, thanks, I CAN do it....I have before.
My cupboards are still OK from last time I low carbed.....any junk I buy doesn't get as far as the cupboards!
You are right I need a food diary

I think I was a bit 'thrown' by my GP who gave me a referral to Slimming World. I went last week just to see what it is like and it's basically a sensible diet, but using low sugar and low fat products. I can't go back to buying those again, so if I continue with SW, I will need to adapt their diet to suit me, which will just take a bit more organisation. I just don't seem to be able to get started on anything right now.

Yes, I do have scales.................I just weighed because you asked and I have lost a pound!

OK, I WILL pull myself together and do this.

Thanks for the hug, I really needed it

What's the Swedish for 'Just do it?'

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure really. I think I am in limbo because I have asked my doctor if I can have metformin now because I have been struggling. He wants me to have blood tests first, and because he is on holiday I have had to wait a couple of weeks or so. I desperately need to lose weight (several stones) and I have only managed to lose a little in the last few years, which I have mostly put on again. I am now only 7 pounds lighter than my highest ever weight. I just feel down and overwhelmed.

I know I CAN do this, I have before. It's just hard.
Zand

Please stop feeling sorry for yourself.

I remember you stating on another thread that you look after your kids and care for your elderly parents, which I thought was absolutely fantastic yet you seemed to dismiss as trivial and unimportant!

Take a minute to appreciate yourself and what is good about you.

Then you will see that you are worth making the effort to stay well.

So you are overweight and you need to lose some weight. So you need to get better control of your bloods. So what? See these as challenges, not as reasons to berate yourself.

I know it can be hard. Nobody said living with diabetes is easy but as you say, you were able to manage your diabetes better before, so I am sure you will be able to do so again, with or without some help from our pal metformin.

Pavlos

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Pavlos. I think you may have hit the nail right on the head.

You see, it's true I DID look after my parents and kids., after 10 years of working . However, that was a long time ago. My parents both died within a couple of weeks of each other, (in 1996) followed by my mother in law a few months later. Life changed suddenly, even though my Mum's death was expected, I was like a zombie for many months. I spent many years with ME like symptoms, though it was never diagnosed as anything. All my energy was devoted to my husband and two kids, so I never got back to work. And of course the kids don't need me as much now that they are grown up. One does still live with us (back after uni), which is nice.

So now there is time for me. But I don't know how to put myself first and get on with my life. When I had little or no energy, I always used it to look after someone else. Now I need to focus on Me and look after myself. Some how it doesn't seem as worthwhile.

Anyway, today I am starting again. I have lost a pound - only 105 to go! I will start my own thread soon, so that I keep motivated.

OK, so thanks again Pavlos, I am going out for a walk now - Seems a good day to start walking again.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yes, thanks, I CAN do it....I have before.
My cupboards are still OK from last time I low carbed.....any junk I buy doesn't get as far as the cupboards!
You are right I need a food diary

I think I was a bit 'thrown' by my GP who gave me a referral to Slimming World. I went last week just to see what it is like and it's basically a sensible diet, but using low sugar and low fat products. I can't go back to buying those again, so if I continue with SW, I will need to adapt their diet to suit me, which will just take a bit more organisation. I just don't seem to be able to get started on anything right now.

Yes, I do have scales.................I just weighed because you asked and I have lost a pound!

OK, I WILL pull myself together and do this.

Thanks for the hug, I really needed it

What's the Swedish for 'Just do it?'
Had a thought. Do you want to do a buddy system? Not sure how it would work? Pavlosn has a thread where he sort of keeps a diary. Could you not do a similar thing? This is a support network. If it hadn't been for this forum and one member in particular then god knows where I might be now so what can we do to help? Why not start today. You know the drill. What could you have for breakfast and lunch? I have to go to docs for 8:50 but will come back and post when I'm back. Do you have time to plan some evening meals and get the shopping? If you're brave enough you could post readings and food diary here? Stay strong!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a thought. Do you want to do a buddy system? Not sure how it would work? Pavlosn has a thread where he sort of keeps a diary. Could you not do a similar thing? This is a support network. If it hadn't been for this forum and one member in particular then god knows where I might be now so what can we do to help? Why not start today. You know the drill. What could you have for breakfast and lunch? I have to go to docs for 8:50 but will come back and post when I'm back. Do you have time to plan some evening meals and get the shopping? If you're brave enough you could post readings and food diary here? Stay strong!

Thanks Scandichic, sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I value your support and any ideas you have. Thanks to this post of yours I was spurred on to start my own thread yesterday. No, I am not too good at planning meals! I have made a note of some of your recipes though and hope to get my act together and actually make one or two soon(ish)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks Scandichic, sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. I value your support and any ideas you have. Thanks to this post of yours I was spurred on to start my own thread yesterday. No, I am not too good at planning meals! I have made a note of some of your recipes though and hope to get my act together and actually make one or two soon(ish)
Glad you're ok! What's the thread? This is why I love this forum! We all help each other! I had my own thread last nigh where I conducted a little experiment with rice! It didn't end well. Lol!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bayern Munich............:rolleyes:
Oh dear, are you a Man Utd fan? As an Arsenal fan (well Arsenal is my second team really - it's the one my family support, therefore it's the one I go to watch occasionally) I have to agree with your choice here.

Last edited by a moderator:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re beeping products
We bought a new microwave for our daughter and family and when it beeps when it is finished before some one takes it out they say it is saying "MOTHER IN LAW-MOTHER IN LAW"
CAROL

Emmy-Lou

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I'm being a bit mean but I'd put people who snore into room 101....

Perhaps I should say I'd put snoring into room 101...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I know I'm being a bit mean but I'd put people who snore into room 101....

Perhaps I should say I'd put snoring into room 101...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cripes, I would be sleeping alone if I did that! My partner snores like you have never heard. He can raise the roof, what a racket! But it's odd what any of us can get used to, I can sleep right through it now with no problems. In fact, I suspect that if it all went quiet I would be awake like a shot :)

LesH

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People who cannot tell the difference between a basket and a trolley at the basket only checkout
When supermarkets have their regular change round I usually end up buying less because I cannot find what I want
Not quite what they want me to do

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
The modern celebrity - you know the ones I mean that have archived nothing other than appear in **** tv programmes.

Real celebs : Mohammed Ali
Al Pacino

Fake celebs Joey Essex
Amy that awful orange woman ???

RoDnEyBoY.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally empty parent and child car park slots when the rest of the car park is ram jam full.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Petty small minded people.