Any 1 else rubbish at check bloods and insulin

Sarahwaddy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still new to type 1 but I was wondering if any 1 else is total **** at checking their bloods and taking insulin even though I know I need it and feel **** if I don't i either don't eat and plummet or eat to much and rocket lol but it's all about numbers and I'm rubbish at it , is it just me or are there others like me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm sure there are others who have gone through a phase like you're going through. Hopefully you will start to get a grip on things for your long term health. No need for a lecture, you know the risks. Good luck :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never too late to start, it really is neccessary. Take one day, one meal at a time, set alarms on mobile or monitor to test. better to than not but, is down to you.

Type 1, pumping nova rapid

Sarahwaddy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know the complications of I don't do it and in the job I'm in I have seen the effects of not doing it just when I sit down to eat I have to get up and check bloods I feel like no control any more

Type 1 novarapid and insultard

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's just a matter of sorting a routine really. If you've sat down for dinner, it's a bit late to check bloods ! With today's monitors, it's quick and easy. I would guess all your daily BG tests amount to less time spent than brushing teeth. It's easy to find excuses not to do things. Can't help you really, you know what needs to be done, you know what happens if you don't ! As Brett says, take it a meal, a day at a time.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
It's just a matter of sorting a routine really. If you've sat down for dinner, it's a bit late to check bloods ! With today's monitors, it's quick and easy. I would guess all your daily BG tests amount to less time spent than brushing teeth. It's easy to find excuses not to do things. Can't help you really, you know what needs to be done, you know what happens if you don't ! As Brett says, take it a meal, a day at a time.
To repeat what Mo stated.
Diabetes and it's successful management is entirely in your hands. It is your number 1 concern. Like many things it is easier to manage when you have a routine. I Use my log book which my DNS give me, you just need to find something that fits you and your life.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree with the above comments, however I'm not so bad at doing my insulin even though I do have to be remained at times, the biggest problem is testing, I don't test no where near enough but I am trying to get myself in to a better routine, and after I do the DAFNE course I will hopefully get to grips with things, all you need to do is fond a routine that works for you

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sarah,
don't be too hard on yourself, it's difficult at first to learn a whole new way of life, and there is emotional baggage attached to diagnosis too:(

I sort of understand where you are coming from, as though I am not new to this, I went through a period of rage and denial where all I did know about keeping on track went completely out of the window. All of that was due to my state of mind and some complicated issues, but it was a change of state of mind that got me back on track too.

The people on the forum and the forum itself has been beyond price, as I have found the support I needed, and know tha I am NOT the only one to be dealing with this, I'm not alone with having the difficulties and sometimes days of absolute fed upness with it all. I've learned how other's cope and deal with problems and you being here right now is a great step in the right direction :)

Like you, I understood the risks on an intellectual level, but also illogically, I just couldn't be ar**d with it all . As I said, what changed was my state of mind, I'm a stubborn person, and like a challenge, so I took diabetes on in the same way as I took on learning a new language and lifestyle. There are some similarities = there's a whole new language related to diabetes, HBA1c, Retinopathy, basal/bolus/correction doses...argh !:eek::eek:

With the lifestyle changes such as testing, I got back to it by no longer seeing my meter as a pest (most of the time anyway! LOL ) I found a meter that suited MY needs, a phone app that replaced the dreaded and hated blood glucose log book, bought a carbs and cals app for my phone, and viewed the whole thing as a project . I am absolutely rubbish at maths, so got out the calculator and a notebook to work out the bolus dosages and wrote it all down for reference. This was only in the initial stages, and I still use it but don't need to update it quite so much

I discovered that eating carbohydrates at the recommended amouts was an insanity for me, and changed my diet to Low Carb High Fat, which works like a charm for me and makes the whole thing so much simpler, because my bolus doses are much lower. I read and read and read too...

This makes me sound like wunderwoman on speed, reading back, but it wasn't, it's been a long slow process and still ongoing, BUT it gets easier, it really does :D I have diabetes, always will have, but now I am the one in control here, not, as I perceived, it controlling me. Being human, I still get days when all I want is a "Day Off":grumpy: and feel like saying "b****cks to it" but it passes !

Do keep reading and posting, ask questions, and you will get where you want to be. And you are definitely not alone ;)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As others have said it takes time to adjust and get into a routine.

The following is an on-line carb counting course similar to the DAFNE programme (Google for information) that is aimed at people with type 1 diabetes:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New will take a while to get your head around it. It sounds like you are on a mixed insulin while you learn to carb count .

I think learning to carb count would ne #1 on the list, as noblehead suggested

Last edited by a moderator:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I still struggle with it every day,, had it 22 years. I am petrified or more eye problems and losing my driving licence though. It's easy to let go of control and say 'I will get back on track tomorrow' but then tomorrow never comes! I find the best way to get my control back (both psychological and physical) is to force myself to test, start once when you wake up and once before bed, and then kind of increase from there.
It is a major pain in the **** and I hate it every day, but I would hate it more to get more bleeds in my eye, so it's kind of the lesser of two evils.
Good luck

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Count exchanges which isn't too bad.which are 15g . An apple = slice of bread= 1 cup of veg to and you build your meal. Say you can have 4 exchanges per meal. You make it with 4 carb exchanges
Google diet exchange list
And you can buy a diet food scale that will do the numbers for you too

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Count exchanges which isn't too bad.which are 15g . An apple = slice of bread= 1 cup of veg to and you build your meal. Say you can have 4 exchanges per meal. You make it with 4 carb exchanges
Google diet exchange list
And you can buy a diet food scale that will do the numbers for you too

Jack, sorry, counting exchanges was from when I was diagnosed 30+ years ago... It involves double the work and effort.. As you then having to convert carbs in to exchanges in to insulin.

Carb counting and injecting is really a routine that your brain needs to be able to be happy with... It does become 2nd nature and you don't honestly think about it when it is a routine... Yes, you still do it, its still additional effort to eat, drive etc but your brain can adjust to it so that instead of loathing the idea of blood n bolus etc your brainjust does it and it doesn't use up a braincell of thought of loathing to do it..

iHs

There are also blood glucose meters that incorporate a bolus wizard......the Accu chek Expert and the Abbott Freestyle Insulinx are 2 that are available at the moment and will do the maths for you. The Expert is better imo than the Insulinx. Unfortunately, with todays modern insulins, it is important to test regularly until cgm becomes more common.
I had to wake my ideas up when I got told that background retinopathy was in one eye.....so instead of injecting the bolus after I had eaten, I started to test more and inject before eating and altered the amounts of bolus I injected. But, I wouldn't have been able to sort myself out without the bg testing. It was the bg testing that helped me out no end.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find counting carbs difficult as I'm rubbish with numbers

Hi there,
I guess the other thing you could do would be to cut right back on the carbs you're eating so there's less to worry about and fewer high blood days. Not always easy if you're out and about, but worth considering when the opportunity is there. :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understood the risks on an intellectual level, but also illogically, I just couldn't be ar**d
This is what I always said about my compulsive eating, prior to my diagnosis. That was the maddening aspect, I knew all the theory yet I kept on doing it and destroying myself.

Sarahwaddy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I guess the other thing you could do would be to cut right back on the carbs you're eating so there's less to worry about and fewer high blood days. Not always easy if you're out and about, but worth considering when the opportunity is there. :)