Honeymoon period without insulin

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi, has anyone ever stopped taking insulin during the honeymoon period?
Aged 12 diagnosed a Type 1 seven weeks ago and taken off all insulin as it was causing hypos.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's quite common to not need insulin whilst in "honeymoon phase". Your pancreas can be intermittently producing insulin but this may be sporadic. It can be difficult to control BG levels during this period due to inconsistent action of pancreas. Test regularly and if reduced carb diet is adhered to, this phase can sometimes be prolonged. Unfortunately, the honeymoon phase eventually leads to the need to inject insulin. This can be a few months to a few years.

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter (also 12 when diagnosed) never had honeymoon at all. So enjoy the time with no insulin. Time will come back when you need it.

saraelbanaxx

When i read about it, i realised that i have been on the honeymoon peroid. I believe that i have fooled myself into thinking that i am not diabetic and that it was a mistake.

saraelbanaxx

Do you take any insulin currently? Have you ever come of it for a period of time?

I currently take novamix30,but because i was in denial about having diabetes, i struggle to take it before 'breakfast' and dinner. I usually skip breakfast. I also struggle with pricking my finger to test for it because i have convinced myself that i didnt need to. But i now know that it wasnt a smart move...

saraelbanaxx

I currently take novamix30,but because i was in denial about having diabetes, i struggle to take it before 'breakfast' and dinner. I usually skip breakfast. I also struggle with pricking my finger to test for it because i have convinced myself that i didnt need to. But i now know that it wasnt a smart move...

I also stopped taking 3months after diagnosis

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Untill recently,i am trying to get back on track as i have now been aware it was a honeymoon phase. Which my doxtors or diabetes team told me nothing about.

We were told about it straight away however I wasn't expecting her to come off insulin all together. She has the most random blood sugars, yesterday she got up with a 7.0 at lunch it was 4.7 and 2 hrs after it was 3.8. Strange thing is when she had her dinner 2 hrs later it was 3.6 so basically her blood sugar didn't increase after her dinner. She gets days like this and then others where the blood sugars will be 8.0 all day.

saraelbanaxx

I dont know. I am new to this. But try having carbs with lunch if the bs levels are low. Its all about balance. I was told by my parents who both have diabetes type2,that treat it as your friend and it will go easy, treat it as an enemy and it will be your worst nightmare. I also think it is about what you eat. If u eat no carbs, ur bs levels wont increase.