Hello - need advice, father has recently been diagnosed

colleen81

Hi, as the title states my father was diagnosed last week with type 2 diabetes. His initial blood glucose reading as 12 after fasting. He went back to the doctors on Monday to have further blood test just to confirm this and see if it has dropped at all.

He keeps getting headaches and pressure in his head, is this related? normal?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
maybe the headaches are due to dehydration? If his blood sugar is high, he will probably be needing to drink a lot.

dumpling

Hello I was diagnosed 2006 with Type 2 and at the time I had bad headaches as well they felt like very bad migraines but as I started to drink more they became less painful , Iwas drinking A pint of water over about 3 hours I think I'm right in saying you do have to be careful though because this dose lower your blood sugars too and if done to quick may not be good for him. what I'm trying to say is they do get better but it takes time he needs to ask the doctor if he can take painkillers as well to help hope I've been of some help keep looking round the post there are beter people than me who can help answer your questions and they are all friendly and dont mind helping at all as I have found out since I've been here.take care.

anne 37

when l was first diagnosed they thought l was type 2 ,and started me on metformin ,as it happens l was actually type 1 .like your dad l suffered terrible headaches .they will settle once your dad gets sorted out .

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
High blood sugars can make you feel rotten in any number of ways.
He can start getting his sugar down by changin his diet a bit. Cut sugar and sugary things out completely and reduce starches as low as he can. He will soon feel better.. He is likely to be told he can eat sugar if he wants to. this needs more medication to cope with. It's better and less complicated to do without. Artificial sweeteners like Splenda are fine for drinks and you can check bottles of fizz for sugar content. Fruit and fruit juices are a bit of a problem. they are hiding sugar.
Get Collins Little Gem Calorie book( only about£4) and you can find how much carbohydrate is in mst foods. It's total cabohydrate you need to watch. If you don't know what a carbohydrate is, look at my Carbs101&102 in the "Stickies."

Aadrgon

Hi
You're in the right place for lots of helpful and friendly advice.
I'm type 2 diagnosed a year ago but went through a long period of denial. Found this site a week ago and have to say that, following the advice for low carb ( not competely yet ) my BS has dropped from 12+ to 7+ and I do feel better for it