Vegetarian, newly diagnosed and utterly confused!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO, seeing you are on a review, if you are veg just for your health, as well as your husbands fish, I'd also add red meat once a week , a mix of protein from veg and animal

A

Avocado Sevenfold

IMO, seeing you are on a review, if you are veg just for your health, as well as your husbands fish, I'd also add red meat once a week , a mix of protein from veg and animal
I could not disagree more. There is plenty for the OP to eat if she wishes to have a healthy, vegetarian, diabetes-friendly diet. There is enough change in her life at the moment.

Up to Summer, of course, but I have to add my tuppence worth here.

Reactions: 5 people

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much all of you. Red meat is a definite no no for me, don't really want to eat any meat or fish if I can help it. I took part in a huge multinational trial looking at vegetarian diets and meat eaters, veggie won hands down.

As you say, lots of changes to get my head round. Besides all of which I'd probably kill myself if I try to cook meat as I have no idea where to begin!! Just chuck food poisoning into the mix!!!

Summer x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Summer, well said ... you will find lots of exciting new things to eat .. without addend fish or flesh to the menu.
I was lost until I got my bs meter ... now its great trying low carb foods and seeing what results I get .. I am still able to eat pearl barley and a little brown rice .. so its good for me.

Araminta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been veggie for 30 years, ironically because of a strong family history of bowel cancer, nobody's made it past 50 yet. However now I'm diagnosed realise that it's always been a very carb heavy diet, and subscribed to the "low fat" regime so lots of hidden sugars.
I've been reading about LCHF diets on here. Is it possible to do this and remain vegetarian? Or am I just limiting my good choices way too much?
Feel I'm going in circles and getting nowhere!!!
Any advice much appreciated.

Summer x

I have been veggie for 30 years, ironically because of a strong family history of bowel cancer, nobody's made it past 50 yet. However now I'm diagnosed realise that it's always been a very carb heavy diet, and subscribed to the "low fat" regime so lots of hidden sugars.
I've been reading about LCHF diets on here. Is it possible to do this and remain vegetarian? Or am I just limiting my good choices way too much?
Feel I'm going in circles and getting nowhere!!!
Any advice much appreciated.

Summer x

I have been a veggie for about 46 years, I found out 5 hours ago , had same diet as you, it does seem scary, and concerned about my children really, grandchildren and great grandchild, one of my daughters had it in pregnancy only. But now they are worried in case they will get it. Forum seems a good support, on a happy positive note think I will lose weight,

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks scimama, I do eat eggs and dairy. I've ordered the Rose Elliott low carb book. Can't quite get my head around cauliflower mash but I'll have to give it a go!!
My husband is suggesting I at least eat fish. Even though my becoming veggie was nothing to do with animal welfare and all about health it seems a huge paradigm shift to start eating any of if again!

Summer x

Without wishing to offend vegetarians who are eating that way for ethical reasons, since you state your reasons are purely health related, you might find these articles of interest:

http://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets
http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Indy,

Chris Kresser however lost me the minute he started talking about lo levels of vitamin D in the vegetarian/vegan diet.

The bioavailability of vitamin D from any food source is negligible. Though not what current advertisers would have us believe. It is produced almost exclusively from exposure to sunlight. The increase in rickets in the uk is only affecting certain populations, those who cover their skin all the time.

The biggest problem we have re vitamin D is that the angle of the sun means we will only produce it between May and September, and we all know what British summers are like!!

Interesting articles though. Thank you

Summer x