Diabetes in the media

Do you think diabetes is accurately portrayed in the media?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 68 100.0%

• Total voters

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We're all aware that diabetes is constantly in the media, but it's not often that we see these media sources praised for accurate portrayals of how diabetes really is or what its causes may be.

So do you think diabetes is accurately portrayed in the media? What's the worst story you've ever read?

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Worst story - most of them. Especially the ignorant it's a lifestyle choice.
I also can't stand (and I'm probably a complete horrible person for this) the stories about the unconscious diabetic who has to rely on a toddler to save their life.

I know I'm evil but it just grates on me - and I try to think well there but for the grace etc but ....
Again I know I'm horrible and I'm sure there are people who will think I am as well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

The character of Jason Roscoe in Hollyoaks is a teenager with T1. The only time it ever crops up is when he goes into a coma when the storyline requires it. It's all negative. You never see how he manages from day to day. It bugs me.

*thinks Mrs Vimes is fab*

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well it's a mixed bag, if you include all media such as documentaries like 24 in A & E, Junior Paramedics & Emergency Bikers then it's an accurate portrayal as these are real-life dramas and obviously diabetes is what it is , however if your talking about newspaper articles,soaps & hospital dramas like Casualty & Holby City then the coverage is pretty poor overall.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL ! I'm with Mrs. Vimes in the "'Orrible people" corner as far as the emotional shmallzy stories go . There again, I laughed at "Lassie" (what- no emoticon with horns and pitchfork? Imagine one. LOL )

I think I'd prefer "Unconcious Hamster Saved by Diabetic " Oh...wait! Hasn't that already appeared in "The Sun"?;)

Signy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a Type 1 female character in Emmerdale. All you see is her binge drinking, eating sweet sticky cakes, chips and so on. She has been hospitalised a couple of times with hypo comas but only after drinking heavily. On one occasion she said something along the lines of Diabetes is a life threatening disability. All the other characters laughed at her. Very disgusting coverage.

Reactions: 13 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There was a series Touch with kiefer Sutherland and his autistic? Son. I watched it until they found an unconscious diabetic and saved him by injecting him with his insulin. Seriously made me cringe.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

There was a series Touch with kiefer Sutherland and his autistic? Son. I watched it until they found an unconscious diabetic and saved him by injecting him with his insulin. Seriously made me cringe.

Similar thing happened recently in Two Broke Girls. Diabetic bloke passes out, they inject him with unknown quantity of god knows what and he springs back to his feet.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
The newspapers love to sensationalise. I have been type 1 for almost 54yrs and not been in hospital because of it since 1968. When I go into hospital for non diabetes related reasons I am still presumably one of the 10% in hospital with diabetes. Also the papers constantly misrepresent Type 1 'so. TV is as bad there are 2 diabetics in Emmerdale one drinks alcohol like there is no tomorrow but never has problems and the other never does a test before meals constantly eats cream cakes etc but again never has a hypo or a dka. She only mentions diabetes if it's part of a scam. TV needs to give a true life account of the condition.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was handed a hamburger in a bun at a recent barbecue. The cook said, "I know you are not supposed to eat hamburger, but just this one won't hurt".

I said, "Actually I am more worried about the bun".

Everybody laughed and seemed to think I had said something very witty so I let it ride.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a film called The Experiment where the only diabetic character died. It wasn't considered important to give him access to his medication.

livedoog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have seem many diabetics portrayed in TV and film and am yet to see an accurate portrayal. Its as though the researchers cant be bothered to speak to a diabetic to get a basic understanding as to what is involved with the illness.

The worse one I saw was on a sci-fi series "The Dome" where a diabetic woman suddenly went into coma as she had run out of insulin minutes earlier! Then then found her a huge bottle of insulin and said "it wont be enough" and she died later in that episode!

It just goes to show how media cant give the truth they make rough guesses and these get absorbed into popular culture, I constantly have to educate people as they have so many misconceptions because of some snippet they heard.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OP asks about the media but since they colour our perceptions then it is within bounds to mention some misconceptions.

So we could have a round of General Ignorance as in QI with Stephen Fry.

Q. What should I buy a diabetic for Christmas?

A. Anything you wish to.

Q. Why is a diabetic choosey about the food they eat.

A. They are just fussy eaters and will get over it.

Q. What do you do if you find someone passed out and smelling of peardrops.

A. Whatever you do don’t call an ambulance, just stuff a Mars bar into .........anywhere convenient

Reactions: 6 people
D

Deleted member 83869

The thing that annoys me the most is when they assume Type 1 and Type 2 are the same! No offense to type 2's but it's so annoying that us type 1's are branded the same! There is hardly any awareness for Type 1!

Reactions: 3 people

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I get furious when TV adds and even documentaries where so called Doctors on Heart issues comment on bad diet of diabetics! I have often written in to complain and on occasion, I think helped change an advert on TV after a TV producer spoke to me on the phone because of my complaint. I think that Type 1 and 2 should be named differently. It is the only way people will be able to distinguish what to do if a Type 1 is going hypo or if a Type 2 is unwell too.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I get furious when TV adds and even documentaries where so called Doctors on Heart issues comment on bad diet of diabetics! I have often written in to complain and on occasion, I think helped change an advert on TV after a TV producer spoke to me on the phone because of my complaint. I think that Type 1 and 2 should be named differently. It is the only way people will be able to distinguish what to do if a Type 1 is going hypo or if a Type 2 is unwell too.
I know of two adverts that have been changed! First one is Change for life, they now state that it is type 2 diabetes! another is when a couple are going to a number of food places and the woman says "Doughnut shop" and the man says "no diabetic" I mean I know it isn't wise for either diabetic to go to a doughnut shop, but if us Type 1's wanted to then we would do the insulin for it etc!! and well now they don't even play that bit on the advert!!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Similar thing happened recently in Two Broke Girls. Diabetic bloke passes out, they inject him with unknown quantity of god knows what and he springs back to his feet.
Assuming it was a glucagon kit (was there any white powder?) that would have been a smart move if you can't test (if he's passed out from low blood sugar it will help, and if it's dka it won't do any harm) and it is not inconceivable that they might have noticed the kit and read the instructions
A. Whatever you do don’t call an ambulance, just stuff a Mars bar into .........anywhere convenient
You should have been more specific when you tell people what to do with that mars bar

Sarah_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you can expect films and TV programmes to be slightly inaccurate but its the constant referral to developing 'diabetes' if you follow poor lifestyle choices in the news. Even by so called well-respected reporting channels. I don't judge anyone who has type 2, but there is a difference between type 1 and type 2 and the vast majority of the time it is factually incorrect.

I wish there were more positive diabetic role models in the media. This constant negative reinforcement does impact upon people's thinking. I am type 1 (also have Addison's disease) and have a completely normal, healthy and full life. I live in Malaysia and travels lots all over the world with my job, its all about your attitude. However, I have been asked previously 'were you fat as a child then' when they learnt of my diabetes. This came from someone who I considered to be an educated person.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seem many diabetics portrayed in TV and film and am yet to see an accurate portrayal. Its as though the researchers cant be bothered to speak to a diabetic to get a basic understanding as to what is involved with the illness.

The worse one I saw was on a sci-fi series "The Dome" where a diabetic woman suddenly went into coma as she had run out of insulin minutes earlier! Then then found her a huge bottle of insulin and said "it wont be enough" and she died later in that episode!

It just goes to show how media cant give the truth they make rough guesses and these get absorbed into popular culture, I constantly have to educate people as they have so many misconceptions because of some snippet they heard.

Hi, Livedoog, love yer avatar..!

You gotta love diabetes portrayed in sci fi... Though, I think "Species" kind of got it right...?!! Lol;)

Lucky for me she's "out my league" anyway...!

image.jpg

Reactions: 5 people