Keep being low

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I woke up with 6,5 them took insulin and ate bread with nuttela then i was a 3.4 after a hour . then had lunch at 12 which was rice my bg after lunch was 6.4 then after 45 min I was a 3.1 . At 3:00 I'm a 2.9 I've had about 1 and a half bottles of Lucozade today and I am never often low only low like once a week my bg is always 5-13

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you take the same fast and slow acting insulin you normally do? (guessing you are T1)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your basal may be too high. Do you often take Lucozade? If you take it quite often to correct then you certainly need to check your Basal and that your Rapid ratio is correct.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your preprandial bg readings are fine so it looks like your injecting too much bolus for the food you are eating, try tweaking your ratio's and this should solve the problem.

Reactions: 2 people

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ratios will change over time, as above, adjust doses, and keep testing before and after meals until you find a ratio that works :)

Reactions: 2 people

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your preprandial bg readings are fine so it looks like your injecting too much bolus for the food you are eating, try tweaking your ratio's and this should solve the problem.
I'm ate the same foods I always eat and I'm on a fixed dose but can change it if I feel high or eat a big meal

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
While you wait to learn about carb counting and using a carb ratio, it looks like you need to reduce the fixed insulin doses you are taking (for the meals that are causing you to go low).

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi twister, you should be able to get your nurse this morning, she can help you with changing your insulin dose.

its been good that you have been able to manage these lows, it has to give you more confidence

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Twister,
I think that the online course is good but it is aimed at adults . As a young person you are still growing so your insulin needs may vary much more than adults. As Jack says it's best to contact your nurse to help you with changing doses.
As you are obviously interested, you should also ask her about learning to adjust the insulin according to the carb content.
There is a book, produced by a British dietitian, that shows the carb content of many foods in different portion sizes. A lot of people seem to find really helpful when they start to carb count . You can get it either as a book or an app.
http://www.carbsandcals.com/area/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-diet/